Barney packs

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
In my pack search I have a buddy who lives in Alaska that recommended a Barney pack (frontier gear of Alaska). This is overkill I think for anything I do in the lower 48, mostly deer hunting day trips but am gearing up for 5-10 day elk hunts packing in camp. Anyone using a Barney’s pack? Is it way over kill for the lower 48. I wouldn’t even consider it, but I am trying to head up to Alaska in the next couple years for some hunting and if I can buy one pack that works for Alaska and is overkill back home but will do the job good instead of getting 2 expensive packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjihrig

FNG
They look very similar to the Alps bags. I used an Alps frame like that for a number of years. They do work and I’ve packed a lot of elk on mine but the external ridged frame really wore on me after long days. At that price point your only a hundred bucks out from a mystery ranch or EXO. If it were me, I’d watch the classifieds here for one of those bags.

Barney's are about as good as it gets for hauling weight... They are big, bomber, external frame packs - which are not currently 'in fashion', especially with the fast'n'light crowd that mostly prevails on rokslide. THEY ARE OUTSTANDING PACKS. However, they are somewhat cumbersome, and most guys needs are met with an internal frame pack - which tend to be lighter, easier to travel with, more flexible on size (cinching down when not full), and modern internals are getting better and better at carrying big weight.

Long story short - they are awesome, but most guys opt for an internal frame for size/flexibility.

Edit: I'm counting anything that doesn't have a metal tube frame as "internal frame" - which is not really accurate...

fatlander

WKR
One of my friends works for a Goat and bear outfit on Kodiak. He’s got a Barney’s pack that I’ve seen and handled. It’s a super nice pack that will without a doubt carry more weight than I’d ever want on my back. He’s also under serious weight way more often than I am, so I get the need for gigantic frame. Unless you’re guiding and constantly hauling huge loads, it’s over kill. I’ll take my kifaru, for what I do, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

NUGGET

WKR
If you want to haul a heavy load get a Barney’s, if you want to swallow a heavy load get a <insert another pack brand here>.

If you like to use the word run when referring to gear do not get a Barney’s.

If you’re planning on selling your “like new” pack in a couple years to upgrade to the latest and greatest get something besides a Barney’s.

If you like to hold hands with your hunting partner get something other than a Barney’s.

If you get offended about stuff you read on hunting forums for sure get an internal pack frame.

Hope that helps 😂

Barney's are great utility haulers. Lots of padding, super burly frames, and a lot of carrying capacity depending on which bag you get.

The problems I've run into with mine over the last ten years are straps ripping off the pack (not a problem if you tie p-cord to the frame and use that for cinching), no real load lifter adjustment, and the hip belt digging in and bruising despite being hella padded.

They're not as fancy and as adjustable as a lot of the newer packs but you can haul some heavy shit with them. They also allow your back to breath a lot more than other packs.

I primarily use mine when I go to Alaska and out West.

Montana slim nailed it! Barney’s are incredible but really shine in AK.

I recently purchased a Kifaru fulcrum which is almost identical to a Barney’s bag but minus the oversized frame.

nice Amiri King reference nugget! I got a chuckle out of it.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
7FAD51D2-C931-4096-ACAA-D05515EB1120.jpeg
Here is a Yukon bag from my hunt this week that got cut short (dog got a mouth full of porcupine and had to hike out and get to a vet).
Mega sized packs but I dig the external frame as you can field repair basically any part of the rigging and breathes well on the back.
Strip the main bag off and add a lightweight daypack and drybag combo and you have a basecamp/day hunt setup

EastMT

WKR
I use Barney’s for about everything. Upside is if you use your own bag it’s a bombproof frame that carries as good as the big names.

Pros-
-Frame with duffel bag is crazy light
-Belt suspension etc is tough
-Can carry more than you want to
-You can add a $44 Alpz Outdoor bag with a few mods and $5
-you aren’t breaking the frame unless you are likely dead from a tumble
-zero flex
-55 gallon bear bait battle attaches just right on the low shelf

Cons
-zero flex
-can be noisy in brush
-can have a few squeaks where the straps go around the frame. Fixed with elec tape around frame tube

I did some mods to mine, relocated the shelf to the bottom and put aluminum bar stock, sits straight up without tipping, I like that.

Added webbing straps with grommets to the pins with buckles, now can attach a 200qt cooler, or a car if you like

Added a eberlestock gun sleeve for easy, protected rifle carry. Don’t always use it, but when hauling just meat it’s nice.

Put grommets in the cheap alpz bag, looks just like a Barney’s, 32oz, $44 on Amazon. It’s lasted 3 goat hunts, sheep hunt, several bear, moose hunts. I have another in the closet for when this one gives up

Here’s a pic with 1/2 a caribou and the head. I’ve had a couple other packs, I don’t see me getting another one, unless it’s a day pack

b86d352a42c9cf7629d2b79e19b29349.jpg

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

Barney's are about as good as it gets for hauling weight... They are big, bomber, external frame packs - which are not currently 'in fashion', especially with the fast'n'light crowd that mostly prevails on rokslide. THEY ARE OUTSTANDING PACKS. However, they are somewhat cumbersome, and most guys needs are met with an internal frame pack - which tend to be lighter, easier to travel with, more flexible on size (cinching down when not full), and modern internals are getting better and better at carrying big weight.

Long story short - they are awesome, but most guys opt for an internal frame for size/flexibility.

Edit: I'm counting anything that doesn't have a metal tube frame as "internal frame" - which is not really accurate...

^^^this, and I’ll also add that they are the gold standard and most used pack with Alaskan guides. That said, I “run” with a Stone Glacier.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
In my pack search I have a buddy who lives in Alaska that recommended a Barney pack (frontier gear of Alaska). This is overkill I think for anything I do in the lower 48, mostly deer hunting day trips but am gearing up for 5-10 day elk hunts packing in camp. Anyone using a Barney’s pack? Is it way over kill for the lower 48. I wouldn’t even consider it, but I am trying to head up to Alaska in the next couple years for some hunting and if I can buy one pack that works for Alaska and is overkill back home but will do the job good instead of getting 2 expensive packs.

I have been thinking the exact same thing as you. I don’t mind one pack for everything and a Barney’s pack would be overkill but have a great pack to haul out even an elk is great. I’m curious if you ended up buying a Barney’s pack or what conclusion you came to

EastMT

WKR
@coop22250 any pictures of the mods you've done to your Barney's frame?
Thanks.

Here it is set up as a straight meat hauler with a rifle scabbard.

1be59df24a44a8f8d83e4b395f51cea9.jpg

This is the load shelf moved to the bottom of the frame. It worked out perfect to strap a bear hide there for the walk out, saved room. Just cut some aluminum bar stock, filed the edges a bit. Works nice for it to sit flat when digging in the top

5a8196f7836552f97e2624cce9cdf6c7.jpg

This is the grommet I installed into mil spec webbing. Used a Home Depot grommet kit, heated the punch up with a little propane torch and it melted right through.

c71b32f26d353548c97f47cf58811b41.jpg

This is the new bag I’m going to try this year. It has strap and comes out from the frame like an internal pack, with meat going between the bag and frame, unlike most Barney’s setups I’ve seen. I won’t need my mil straps likely, but a couple packed along just incase can’t hurt.
d0e1e5eddf45b9c8881f6a3f26338abb.jpg

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the pics and detailed explanations. Regarding the relocated load shelf, do you have any sort of platform for the shelf, or is it just the framework around the edges?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just ran a strap across the middle, so whatever I set there can fall through.

I think you meant to say "can't fall through" lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here it is set up as a straight meat hauler with a rifle scabbard.

1be59df24a44a8f8d83e4b395f51cea9.jpg

This is the load shelf moved to the bottom of the frame. It worked out perfect to strap a bear hide there for the walk out, saved room. Just cut some aluminum bar stock, filed the edges a bit. Works nice for it to sit flat when digging in the top

5a8196f7836552f97e2624cce9cdf6c7.jpg

This is the grommet I installed into mil spec webbing. Used a Home Depot grommet kit, heated the punch up with a little propane torch and it melted right through.

c71b32f26d353548c97f47cf58811b41.jpg

This is the new bag I’m going to try this year. It has strap and comes out from the frame like an internal pack, with meat going between the bag and frame, unlike most Barney’s setups I’ve seen. I won’t need my mil straps likely, but a couple packed along just incase can’t hurt.
d0e1e5eddf45b9c8881f6a3f26338abb.jpg

Hey I’m curious if you had a chance to try out the Lochsa pack this past season? I have a Barney’s frame with the old moose pack on it and it works good but am looking for a bigger bag and that Lochsa looks like a cool option at a reasonable price.

MattB

WKR
IMO they go right with rubber rain gear. Bomb-proof but not necessary/overkill for the vast majority of NA hunting.

Editorializing (having done quite a few hunts in AK and in western Canada), many Alaskan guys seems to be ~20 years behind in adopting new technology. Not saying it is all better because it isn't, but there have been dramatic improvements and it seems that it is mostly Alaskan guides who haven't adopted them. Packing an Alaska Yukon moose in the Yukon or NYT isn't that different from packing them in Alaska, and yet I have never seen a Barneys frame outside of Alaska.