Barney's Freighter Frame

Voyageur

WKR
Did a search and I'm surprised there aren't more threads on this pack. Reading through the threads that were available I didn't get all my questions answered so I'm reaching out with a new one.
Years ago I had an old Cabela's Freighter frame that I used for caribou and elk. It was nothing fancy, but did its jobs without fail. As specialized internal frame "hunting" packs became all the rage I drifted away from the freighter frame and eventually sold it. Fast forward 20+ years and I recently came into posession of a Alps Outdoorz Commander Light freighter frame pack. By no stretch of the imagination is it top of the line, but for the price it's actually a decent pack. As I've played around with adjusting the pack and used it in the field to pack tree stands, a deer, and a weighted duffel around inside the house, I was reminded of the practicality of a freighter style frame for carrying heavy awkward loads. That has me considering making the jump to a Barney's and using it for those situations just mentioned.
I would really like to hear from people who are using or have used the Barney frame. Any and all experiences will be welcomed especially those relating to the topics of comfort, durability, practicality, pros/cons compared to internal frames, in short anything relating to in the field use of the Barney's freighter frame.
Thanks.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I had used a couple of external frame packs in the past (Cabelas, Bull pac, and even a trapper nelson) for packing animals and they certainly weren't the most comfortable. One of the first years I guided for moose in the Yukon I was paired with a guy who was using a Barney's. He let me use it to pack out a bull moose as he and his hunter tagged out first day of the hunt. I ordered one as soon as I got home at the end of the season. For caribou and sheep I grab my Stone Glacier, because it's light and still very comfortable with a heavy load, but for moose I go with the Barney's because it just handles big, bulky loads better than anything else I've used.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve used them for a few years but never had my own until a few weeks ago when I got one here in the classified section.

For hauling out moose, they are perfect. It wouldn’t be my first choice for a sheep hunt or something though.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I appreciate the replies this far.
As I continue to research the Barney's freighter frame I ran across a video that discussed the frame being used in conjunction with the Barney's Moose packbag. It was a single compartment large enough to hold a moose hind quarter with single full length pockets on each side of the bag. In looking at Barney's website none of the bags shown seem to match the video's description of the Moose Bag.
Can anyone here offer any clarification?
Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I appreciate the replies this far.
As I continue to research the Barney's freighter frame I ran across a video that discussed the frame being used in conjunction with the Barney's Moose packbag. It was a single compartment large enough to hold a moose hind quarter with single full length pockets on each side of the bag. In looking at Barney's website none of the bags shown seem to match the video's description of the Moose Bag.
Can anyone here offer any clarification?
Thanks.

I think the moose bag in that review is an old model. They only make 3 bags now so what you see is what’s available. You might be able to get other bags meant for external frames to fit but the quality wouldn’t be that of the Barney’s stuff.

For me, it’s just a frame, won’t put one of the bags on the frame since it will just be used to haul heavy meat loads out. If I’m actually doing any backpacking or a backpack hunt, I’ll be using my stone glacier 7900.

In the past when we were using Barney’s or bull pack frames, we just bungee corded a dry bag with the kill kit and other stuff we needed for the day in it while hiking around.

When I first moved to AK I had a camp trails frame pack, it hauled a few moose and caribou before it snapped, the Barney’s frame is much higher quality than any other frame pack you’ll find but if one of the bags they make dosen’t do it for you then you are limited.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
^^^^
I'm glad you mentioned using dry bags. That was how I initially visualized using the Barney Frame.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
^^^^
I'm glad you mentioned using dry bags. That was how I initially visualized using the Barney Frame.

It works well, when we are doing float hunts there usually isn’t a ton of hiking, a mile or 2 sometimes so you can just grab the dry bag you need and strap it on and go for a walk, that way you have the frame with you if you shoot something as well as all the gear you need to deal with it.

AK_Hobie

FNG
If you want to use a pack bag, many of the competitors pack frame bags will fit on the Barney’s pack frame. They are a fraction of the cost and usually lighter too. It’s a great pack to use when weight isn’t an issue but it get left at home when it is.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a barney's frame in 2019 after talking to a co-worker. I just bungied everything I needed to it and it worked great. I bought the freighter bag in 2020 to add on the frame. The combo worked well for all my hunts this year (bear, caribou, goat, deer and moose). They also came out belt pockets and an additional lumbar pad for the bag in 2020. I was in the shop recently and it looks like they updated the bag.

I only have limited experience with packs though. The Barney's frame and freighter is the first pack I've ever invested in. The complaints I have are the cinch cord on the top of the bag. Mine is finicky and is a pain to deal with sometimes. I like to take my bag off and clean it after the season and this time it was a real pain in the ass to reattach.

I would reach out and call them if you have questions that don't get answered here. The employees there are super knowledgeable. I try to shop with them every time I need something.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I use this frame as well, have packed out a few elk with it. I also have a huge dry bag strapped to it with game bags, rope and extra strap inside. I like the dry bag for dropping all the meat into (in their own game bags), makes it easy to strap on the frame. First trip out I use my day pack and I then grab the frame for the rest of the trips. It's handled the loads well and is easy to use. Packing meat is never easy, but this helps with those heavy loads.
I'm torn on the newer frame packs and how well they work vs a frame like this. Anybody able to compare an EXO or Kifaru frame to this one for packing out elk and other heavy loads?

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Barney's pack for a couple seasons. Its great for hauling big loads and outperforms the Cabelas variety in both strength and capacity. its a typical frame pack though so to me not as comfortable as an internal style frame. I sold mine as the weight of the pack is nearly 10#s and not worth it to me to carry the weight, especially for any long hunt. I also hated the rail above my head and catching on everything, especially alders. I moved into an EXO pack after having a Kuiu Icon and the EXO is by far my favorite. You didn't mention what you really plan on doing with it so its hard to gauge your needs, but any of the newer packs will do it all (meat, freighter, sheep, etc).

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I really appreciate all the replies. To clarify my use for a freighter frame; it would be used for large heavy and sometimes awkward loads, i.e. tree stands and climbing sticks, bear bait buckets, and obviously meat loads both bone in and bone out. As mentioned by @thinhorn_AK and others, my plan would be to use a dry bag when needed for gear such as clothing rather than buy one of the pack bags for the Barney's frame. I've got several quality internal frame packs, but recently "rediscovered" how much I like the way heavy bulky loads handle on an external frame, hence my inquiry.
Probably the main sticking point for me on going ahead with a Barney's is deciding if I need it's "bomb proofness" or if my Alps freighter will serve me good enough. I am old enough that I don't haul monster loads anymore. If it's an option I'll take two or even three loads rather than that one monster load.
Again, all the replies are appreciated.

Last edited:

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the camp of not using the moose bag. I have one and thought it was a good idea but for moose, it was more of a pain in the butt. For smaller animals it might work ok. Mine seems more adaptable just using the frame and strapping on bags or just hanging my daypack over it. Everybodys situation is different and we don't hunt with our pack frame on and use it just to haul out animals. With a bare frame I think you could haul your stands, bags or whatever a lot easier.

CC

FNG
I have used Barney's, SG, and Kifaru. All are good packs, but each is better than the other for specific things. If this is a being used for heavy loadouts as you stated there is nothing better. Way better than the packs you mentioned. You won't regret if your only using for this situation. If your hunting out of it, you will like other packs. I also used Kifaru compression straps I believe not sure exactly what Kifaru calls them, but I wrapped them around the frame and used them to strap meat right to the frame. Has a slider on one side and male/female bucket on the other. Works excellent!

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Barney's, SG, and Kifaru. All are good packs, but each is better than the other for specific things. If this is a being used for heavy loadouts as you stated there is nothing better. Way better than the packs you mentioned. You won't regret if your only using for this situation. If your hunting out of it, you will like other packs. I also used Kifaru compression straps I believe not sure exactly what Kifaru calls them, but I wrapped them around the frame and used them to strap meat right to the frame. Has a slider on one side and male/female bucket on the other. Works excellent!
I looked up those compression straps and having an easier way to strap a quarter on sounds nice. I have a couple questions. I get the jist of how they work but not how you attached them to your frame. Do they keep your quarters stable? Looks like they could tip from side to side? Have you used them on moose quarters and also game bags with loose meat? I still use the old school method of heavier, longer pins and 10 miles of a light twine. It works well but can be a pain to get things straped on when your twine is all tangled in the brush! haha

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I use generic nylon webbing straps (REI, etc) and just wrap them around the frame back and forth. No need for rope. Works great to stabilize elk quarters, etc, and is easy to use. Most of my straps are 6' iirc.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I see what you are saying but not sure it would work for me. If I ever have a pin failure or want a wrap in an area that doesn't have a pin, I have a heck of a time getting that twine around the frame because of how the back piece wraps part way around my frame tubes. Kind of hard to explain.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
@Kobuk hopefully @CC will reply about how he attaches the straps.
Looking at the pictures I'm wondering if you could loop the clip end about the frame and then clip it back to itself? Totally a guess...

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
That is what I was thinking too. Not really sure how that clip on the end worked or how strong those and the buckles are.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
@Kobuk hopefully @CC will reply about how he attaches the straps.
Looking at the pictures I'm wondering if you could loop the clip end about the frame and then clip it back to itself? Totally a guess...
That's what I do with normal straps. Wrap it around the tubes and the load and clip it back to itself as a loop. I crisscross the straps best as possible, never had any issues with loads shifting or coming loose.