Barney's Freighter Frame

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I use the NRS straps too and have used several different kinds of dry bags. It dosent really matter, just trap it down securely and you are good to go.

I will mention that it seems strange for people to ask questions about wright when it comes to Barney’s packs, if wright is an issue, there are better frames out there. I feel like these frames had a fairly specific niche of hauling meat but for whatever reason, you see guys using them for sheep hunts etc. I think that is more nostalgia than anything but to each their own.

I’ve tried every frame I have with well over 100lbs in it and the Barney’s is the best because of how easily you can lash things down. I agree with ditching the top frame piece but I disagree with ditching the meat shelf, why would somebody do that? It works really REALLY well, if it dosent, then you have some adjustments to make.

I have no opinion on the Barney’s bags but wrangell gear is also making a bag for Barney’s frames. In my opinion, the Barney’s frame is pretty essential for low country moose and bear hunts but there are better choices for mountain hunting or anytime weight is a consideration.

I have a kifaru 28” tactical frame with a cargo net and yes, you can haul heavy loads with it and a guy could do a lot worse but for my uses it’s not as good as the Barney’s.

Also, somebody mentioned that the earlier Barney’s packs mimicked the camp trail frames….hell, as far as I know, at one time they were actually made by camp trails. Hang out with any old school alaskan hunter though and you’ll likely see a few camp trips frames hanging in the garage.
I have the Moose bag, and I am not sure right now of the dimensions but it is not big enough. I have been looking at getting a new Barney's bag, but the Wrangell bag looks like something I want. But, man. How could anything cost more than a barney's bag.? $525.00?

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the Mosse bag, and I am not sure right now of the dimensions but it is not big enough. I have been looking at getting a new Barney's bag, but the Wrangell bag looks like something I want. But, man. How could anything cost more than a barney's bag.? $525.00?

I’ve played with the idea of getting a Barney’s bag but the price is a big turn off. Especially so because I just don’t know that I’d use it for actual backpacking.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve played with the idea of getting a Barney’s bag but the price is a big turn off. Especially so because I just don’t know that I’d use it for actual backpacking.
I bought both the frame and pack used and it was a deal. I love it and use it anytime I might be bringing something back out. I took it to Idaho for a 5-day spring bear hunt and it was maxed out. It is not big enough for 5 days in the fall. I like that Wrangell bag, but I don't think I like it as much as I do $500.

Buddro

FNG
I know I am late to the party but if you haven't gotten it yet, the Barneys freighter frame is unbeatable with heavy akward loads. When I am not carrying it with the barneys bag I keep a good length of P-cord wrapped between the sidebars at about neck height so I wont bump my head on it. When I need to lash something on I just pull a section and strap it down with that. Its not nearly as clean and handy as using cam straps like a lot of people do but its cheap, light weight, and the P-cord has a lot more utility in other situations.

The Barneys bags are mighty handy too, but they are pretty huge and bulky. Down here in NM I can go back country for as long as I need to with about 4000 cu inches of pack. I think the smallest pack barneys sells is like 6500. But throw a few contractor trash bags in and you can an elk shoulder and hind quarter right in the body of the bag, cinch down on integrated straps and go, much easier and faster than lashing them to the frame.

Last edited: