Barney's Freighter Frame

shinyboat

I bought a Barney's frame after years of admiring it. It is comfy with a load, but racks back and forth, is pretty wide, and is sqeaky. It does weight around 2-3 pounds more than other internal frame packs.

snowcamoman

NRS style loop straps on the frame are great. If you leave the short cam buckle on a meatpole and loop the other end around the quarter, a solo guy can easily reach up while wearing the pack and simply slip it off, leaving the quarter hanging.
145f74b6215ac4839348c4e953c445f4.jpg
a57c86becd547d49697f66e7643a1b3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AKSandman

@Voyageur I have used a Barney’s frame for hauling heavy loads for some time. I believe it is at the top of its class for hauling heavy/awkward loads. Their Freighter frame if I am not mistaken was originally a direct copy of the camp trails frame and then it got beefed up a bit. In my opinion the frame is well worth the money, but the bags are not to my liking. To remedy this I have sewn several lightweight bags and other attachments to help with hauling loads on a Barney’s frame. PM me if you would like more details on this.

Saw someone’s comment about the top bar getting caught on brush... If you use a Barney’s bag much you will learn that the first thing you throw out is the top bar, followed usually by the aluminum frame for the meat shelf... at least that is what I have seen most folks end up doing. Once these are gone, you are lighter and won’t catch the frame on brush so much!

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

@Voyageur I have used a Barney’s frame for hauling heavy loads for some time. I believe it is at the top of its class for hauling heavy/awkward loads. Their Freighter frame if I am not mistaken was originally a direct copy of the camp trails frame and then it got beefed up a bit. In my opinion the frame is well worth the money, but the bags are not to my liking. To remedy this I have sewn several lightweight bags and other attachments to help with hauling loads on a Barney’s frame. PM me if you would like more details on this.

Saw someone’s comment about the top bar getting caught on brush... If you use a Barney’s bag much you will learn that the first thing you throw out is the top bar, followed usually by the aluminum frame for the meat shelf... at least that is what I have seen most folks end up doing. Once these are gone, you are lighter and won’t catch the frame on brush so much!
Thanks for the detailed response. What is the weight of the frame once you've ditched the aluminum meat shelf frame and top bar? (No bag either.)
Thanks.

Last edited:

AKSandman

@Voyageur it is just over 4 lbs. but that 4 lbs is so worth it when it comes to hauling heavy loads! 1 lb difference in your frame weight isn’t worth it hauling a 70-100 lb load if you are uncomfortable using the 3 lb frame and comfortable using the 4 lb frame.