Barney's Freighter Frame

shinyboat

FNG
I bought a Barney's frame after years of admiring it. It is comfy with a load, but racks back and forth, is pretty wide, and is sqeaky. It does weight around 2-3 pounds more than other internal frame packs.

NRS style loop straps on the frame are great. If you leave the short cam buckle on a meatpole and loop the other end around the quarter, a solo guy can easily reach up while wearing the pack and simply slip it off, leaving the quarter hanging.
145f74b6215ac4839348c4e953c445f4.jpg
a57c86becd547d49697f66e7643a1b3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AKSandman

FNG
@Voyageur I have used a Barney’s frame for hauling heavy loads for some time. I believe it is at the top of its class for hauling heavy/awkward loads. Their Freighter frame if I am not mistaken was originally a direct copy of the camp trails frame and then it got beefed up a bit. In my opinion the frame is well worth the money, but the bags are not to my liking. To remedy this I have sewn several lightweight bags and other attachments to help with hauling loads on a Barney’s frame. PM me if you would like more details on this.

Saw someone’s comment about the top bar getting caught on brush... If you use a Barney’s bag much you will learn that the first thing you throw out is the top bar, followed usually by the aluminum frame for the meat shelf... at least that is what I have seen most folks end up doing. Once these are gone, you are lighter and won’t catch the frame on brush so much!

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
@Voyageur I have used a Barney’s frame for hauling heavy loads for some time. I believe it is at the top of its class for hauling heavy/awkward loads. Their Freighter frame if I am not mistaken was originally a direct copy of the camp trails frame and then it got beefed up a bit. In my opinion the frame is well worth the money, but the bags are not to my liking. To remedy this I have sewn several lightweight bags and other attachments to help with hauling loads on a Barney’s frame. PM me if you would like more details on this.

Saw someone’s comment about the top bar getting caught on brush... If you use a Barney’s bag much you will learn that the first thing you throw out is the top bar, followed usually by the aluminum frame for the meat shelf... at least that is what I have seen most folks end up doing. Once these are gone, you are lighter and won’t catch the frame on brush so much!
Thanks for the detailed response. What is the weight of the frame once you've ditched the aluminum meat shelf frame and top bar? (No bag either.)
Thanks.

Last edited:

AKSandman

FNG
@Voyageur it is just over 4 lbs. but that 4 lbs is so worth it when it comes to hauling heavy loads! 1 lb difference in your frame weight isn’t worth it hauling a 70-100 lb load if you are uncomfortable using the 3 lb frame and comfortable using the 4 lb frame.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Late to this conversation but will comment anyway. I have a Barney’s frame with the Moose bag. I also have several Mystery Ranch packs, and I love them. But, when I know I have to pack a heavy load uphill I grab the Barney’s pack. No other pack is like it. The suspension system is different from other external pack frames. It is hard to explain other than that it is bigger, stronger, really well padded, and anchored much lower on the frame than the others. Some other pack frames will do most jobs. But, the Barney’s pack is the most comfortable and is bomb-proof.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Late to this conversation but will comment anyway. I have a Barney’s frame with the Moose bag. I also have several Mystery Ranch packs, and I love them. But, when I know I have to pack a heavy load uphill I grab my the Barney’s pack. No other pack is like it. The suspension system is different from other external pack frames. It is hard to explain other than that it is bigger, stronger, really well padded, and anchored much lower on the frame than the others. Some other pack frames will do most jobs. But, the Barney’s pack is the most comfortable, and is bomb proof.

Yup, for my moose hunting trips it’s not even a discussion. The Barney’s is going with me.

BDWMT

FNG
I picked one up a few years ago for a moose hunt. No question they are the way to go for heavy loads. I can comfortably haul a lot more weight than with my internal frame pack. I have a few cam lock tie down straps on it that making strapping down quarters a breeze. I also use it for summer conditioning. It’s easy to strap weights to and I’ve hiked a lot of miles with 100 lbs on it with no problems.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up a few years ago for a moose hunt. No question they are the way to go for heavy loads. I can comfortably haul a lot more weight than with my internal frame pack. I have a few cam lock tie down straps on it that making strapping down quarters a breeze. I also use it for summer conditioning. It’s easy to strap weights to and I’ve hiked a lot of miles with 100 lbs on it with no problems.
I attached a harness to my frame and clipped a tow strap to the harness. The other end of the strap I attached to a trailer tire set up for weights. Dragging that thing at 100 pounds is both an aerobic and a strength workout.

AK_Hobie

FNG
I was in Barney’s sometime in the past 12 months (don’t want to get the guy in trouble) and was talking packs with the salesman. I was interested in the SG. He pointed me to the Barney’s and we got into a discussion about heavy hauling packs. I told him I sold my Barney’s and was using Kifaru as a pack frame. When I asked him what he would prefer if he was hauling heavy load (such as moose hind quarters) and he said he would give the Kifaru the edge as well. I really think that all the top tier packs are great and the individuals muscle/skeletal structure will determine which is best for you. I wouldn’t agree as far as Barney’s walking away with being the best. I don’t like the noise on brush, the squeaks where suspension attaches and the way the frame shifts around on the suspension. I like to use a pack that can function as a hunting daypack and double as a meat hauler. I also want the pack I carry to be archery quiet.

BDWMT

FNG
I attached a harness to my frame and clipped a tow strap to the harness. The other end of the strap I attached to a trailer tire set up for weights. Dragging that thing at 100 pounds is both an aerobic and a strength workout.
That’s intense 😳 but intrigued.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was in Barney’s sometime in the past 12 months (don’t want to get the guy in trouble) and was talking packs with the salesman. I was interested in the SG. He pointed me to the Barney’s and we got into a discussion about heavy hauling packs. I told him I sold my Barney’s and was using Kifaru as a pack frame. When I asked him what he would prefer if he was hauling heavy load (such as moose hind quarters) and he said he would give the Kifaru the edge as well. I really think that all the top tier packs are great and the individuals muscle/skeletal structure will determine which is best for you. I wouldn’t agree as far as Barney’s walking away with being the best. I don’t like the noise on brush, the squeaks where suspension attaches and the way the frame shifts around on the suspension. I like to use a pack that can function as a hunting daypack and double as a meat hauler. I also want the pack I carry to be archery quiet.

As with everything, we have to choose the equipment that is right for the job. I probably wouldn’t use my Barney’s pack on a mountain hunt or an archery hunt. I throw mine in my raft when I float hunt, it’s great for hauling out moose and I don’t really need to be quiet. It also makes sort of a platform in the raft. I have a kifaru tactical frame but there’s no way I could make it work as well as a pure hauler than the Barney’s frame.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine to pack out deer in Appalachian wilderness areas. If I am within a mile of my truck I use a GI fanny pack and just go get the Barney’s pack if needed. When I go deeper I use a mystery ranch pack. But, after the first trip out I grab the Barney’s pack. There is no comparison between the Mystery Ranch and the Barney’s pack.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Not up for that just yet. I am 57 years old and I doubt I could ever pack a hundred pounds very far. I am training and working that way. I hope I do get that stout.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I think the moose bag in that review is an old model. They only make 3 bags now so what you see is what’s available. You might be able to get other bags meant for external frames to fit but the quality wouldn’t be that of the Barney’s stuff.

For me, it’s just a frame, won’t put one of the bags on the frame since it will just be used to haul heavy meat loads out. If I’m actually doing any backpacking or a backpack hunt, I’ll be using my stone glacier 7900.

In the past when we were using Barney’s or bull pack frames, we just bungee corded a dry bag with the kill kit and other stuff we needed for the day in it while hiking around.

When I first moved to AK I had a camp trails frame pack, it hauled a few moose and caribou before it snapped, the Barney’s frame is much higher quality than any other frame pack you’ll find but if one of the bags they make dosen’t do it for you then you are limited.
what type of dry bag did you use and how does the load feel hiking around? does it shift or bounce a lot with just the bungees keeping it in place?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
what type of dry bag did you use and how does the load feel hiking around? does it shift or bounce a lot with just the bungees keeping it in place?

I use the NRS straps too and have used several different kinds of dry bags. It dosent really matter, just trap it down securely and you are good to go.

I will mention that it seems strange for people to ask questions about wright when it comes to Barney’s packs, if wright is an issue, there are better frames out there. I feel like these frames had a fairly specific niche of hauling meat but for whatever reason, you see guys using them for sheep hunts etc. I think that is more nostalgia than anything but to each their own.

I’ve tried every frame I have with well over 100lbs in it and the Barney’s is the best because of how easily you can lash things down. I agree with ditching the top frame piece but I disagree with ditching the meat shelf, why would somebody do that? It works really REALLY well, if it dosent, then you have some adjustments to make.

I have no opinion on the Barney’s bags but wrangell gear is also making a bag for Barney’s frames. In my opinion, the Barney’s frame is pretty essential for low country moose and bear hunts but there are better choices for mountain hunting or anytime weight is a consideration.

I have a kifaru 28” tactical frame with a cargo net and yes, you can haul heavy loads with it and a guy could do a lot worse but for my uses it’s not as good as the Barney’s.

Also, somebody mentioned that the earlier Barney’s packs mimicked the camp trail frames….hell, as far as I know, at one time they were actually made by camp trails. Hang out with any old school alaskan hunter though and you’ll likely see a few camp trips frames hanging in the garage.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I use the NRS straps too and have used several different kinds of dry bags. It dosent really matter, just trap it down securely and you are good to go.

I will mention that it seems strange for people to ask questions about wright when it comes to Barney’s packs, if wright is an issue, there are better frames out there. I feel like these frames had a fairly specific niche of hauling meat but for whatever reason, you see guys using them for sheep hunts etc. I think that is more nostalgia than anything but to each their own.

I’ve tried every frame I have with well over 100lbs in it and the Barney’s is the best because of how easily you can lash things down. I agree with ditching the top frame piece but I disagree with ditching the meat shelf, why would somebody do that? It works really REALLY well, if it dosent, then you have some adjustments to make.

I have no opinion on the Barney’s bags but wrangell gear is also making a bag for Barney’s frames. In my opinion, the Barney’s frame is pretty essential for low country moose and bear hunts but there are better choices for mountain hunting or anytime weight is a consideration.

I have a kifaru 28” tactical frame with a cargo net and yes, you can haul heavy loads with it and a guy could do a lot worse but for my uses it’s not as good as the Barney’s.

Also, somebody mentioned that the earlier Barney’s packs mimicked the camp trail frames….hell, as far as I know, at one time they were actually made by camp trails. Hang out with any old school alaskan hunter though and you’ll likely see a few camp trips frames hanging in the garage.
Love the input, thanks so much! I've done two DIY ak moose hunts, one with a kifaru and the last one was with a SG. Both work like you said but hiking thru the tundra and beaver swamps is brutal enough and anything to make it better is worth a shot. I was thinking of maybe just bringing my SG pack and attaching that to the frame but i'll tinker with it and see how it goes. Thanks again!