Barneys Freighter pack question

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the famous Barneys Freighter pack, just the actual frame pack itself with meat shelf bag not included. My question is there are no cam straps to secure the quarters to the frame, how are you guys securing your meat? bungees? para cord? some type of after market cam straps? thank you

interested in this as well. just picked up a barney's frame and planning on using a bunch of straps but would like to know if everybody had a better method.

1" NRS style loop straps. Easy and bomber holding power. I loop 4 of them onto the frame and it's a moose hauling machine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Here’s what I did

I bought a grommet kit and webbing straps, buckles. I heated the grommet die up with a propane torch and melted the hole for the grommet. Place grommet in, then fit to the pin in the frame. Always take a couple extra pins and cauter pins, available at Home Depot.

I put 4 on there but the top one is pretty much useless. I also picked up some aluminum bar stock and moved the load shelf down low, carries a little extra gear or bear hide there nicely with the bag on. Here is a pic with half a bone in caribou and the head my wife got last year.

Also, if you go on Amazon and look for the alps outdoorZ bag, $53 and you can insert the grommets in the correct places to fit you pins as well, 32 oz bag, been on a sheep hunt, 2 goat hunts, caribou, bear all over AK. Holds up fine so far. I have 2 Barney’s now, have taken a few family/friends hunting and nice to have an extra around.

Also as you can see I use an eberlestock gun scabbard to carry my rifle with meat only, makes it super nice to have it handy when bloody.

a46a7e5dfa19dc2d1f3d9b9fad568a72.jpg

38f66dfd62da87510bf7f953bf690d2c.jpg

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I did about what Coop did. I just took 1" webbing, doubled over the end, burned a hole in it, and secured it to the pack with those aluminum pack pins. I attached a plastic snap buckle to the other end of the strap. I think I installed 4 straps (each side). It makes it very easy to secure loads. It's a little more work than just using the loop and metal rafting strap, but also lighter than those straps.

Handy thing about the raft straps, is they're great to hang meat on a meat pole back at camp if necessary.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Used to just use para cord. Last several years I’ve just thrown moose quarters/bear hides, etc. in the pack bag—preferably with a compactor bag as a liner.

Anything like cam straps or proper strength rope/chord should work fine.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a lumbar pad on the pack belt? It seems to be very tricky to try and find information or good pictures with this pack! I’m struggling to see why this pack is so comfortable while it seems so simple!

hiway_99

FNG
Is there a lumbar pad on the pack belt? It seems to be very tricky to try and find information or good pictures with this pack! I’m struggling to see why this pack is so comfortable while it seems so simple!
There current pack doesn't have a lumbar pad. I've heard they are supposed to come out with one shortly

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

There is an available lumbar pad available as an accessory to the hip belt. Here is a picture of the new lumbar pad and the new hip belt pouches on the pack. I'd highly recommend both, especially the lumbar pad when it comes to packing heavy loads.

I7FfI24.jpg

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
There is an available lumbar pad available as an accessory to the hip belt. Here is a picture of the new lumbar pad and the new hip belt pouches on the pack. I'd highly recommend both, especially the lumbar pad when it comes to packing heavy loads.

I7FfI24.jpg
Fantastic! Thanks for the info and picture. Is there a way to hook up a nalgene or any kind of bladder on the belt? How do things attach on the belt? Thanks again!

Fantastic! Thanks for the info and picture. Is there a way to hook up a nalgene or any kind of bladder on the belt? How do things attach on the belt? Thanks again!

I am sure something could be rigged up fairly easily to attach a Nalgene. In fact, I think I've seen neoprene Nalgene bottle holders that attach with a velcro strap, those would probably be perfect.

As far as the lumbar pad, it attaches on the belt with a velcro strap, and the hip pouches slide over the ends of the hip belts. I did a gear review in the sheep forum and talk a bit about the Barneys pack, ya might check it out.

1" NRS style loop straps. Easy and bomber holding power. I loop 4 of them onto the frame and it's a moose hauling machine.

Thanks for the share. I will be buying some of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk