Barneys of AK pack

SDHNTR

WKR
Anyone use a Barneys pack in the lower 48? They are the gold standard in AK. Not sure why they aren't more popular down here.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Internal frames are what is in right now. I want to try one though.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Internal frames are what is in right now. I want to try o e though.

With the popularity of the DTs, BTs, SGs, Kuiu, etc. it seems like compact externals are what is in.

It is desierable to me to have external frame capability without the traditional external bulk.

Bighorse

WKR
It's all about the haul out. The Barneys pack is a great functional pack when the loads are big. It's durable and comforatable in a variety of conditions. When I'm going out for a long trip in the backcountry the Barneys system is just fine. I like smaller internal frame packs for quicker day over overnight style hunts. The way I see it. If I got enough strength to hike into the backcountry and shoot something big. I got enough strenth to handle the extra weight of a Barneys, which isn't much really. When I'm trying to cover huge distances in a limited timeframe and only have enought time for one meat haul than I pare down my gear substantially.

I'm also the guy who will pack in a few extra beers just so my partner and I can enjoy a refreshing beverage on top of the mountain.

The Barneys isn't sized for everyone either. I'd say it's much better for stout tall guys.http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q768/chris_foster3/DSCN0960_zps31c1facb.jpg

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Talking with Barney's right now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359835953572.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359835953572.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 189
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359835973267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359835973267.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 168
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359835983274.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359835983274.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 162

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd be running a Barney's still if they made the gosh dang waistbelt for those with less than 31" waists. They haul the weight like nothing else and are surprisingly light compared to most packs on the market.

Shrek

WKR
Aron , could you dig out the kitchen sink so I can wash up these plates , the table is clean so you can put it back in the bareys pack. Lol !

Fundamentally, the 15x32" footprint of a Barneys frame is always going stabilize big loads better than the ~10x26" footprint of a psuedo external frame or the even smaller footprint of most internal frames. I suspect the reason that they aren't popular in the L48 is that very few people need the kind of capacity that the Barneys offers. In Alaska the guides need to be able to haul all of their gear, all of the clients gear, AND meat. Most of the residents that use them want to be able to haul big moose quarters, moose racks, and soggy brown bear hides.

Oh yeah... and they aren't cheap.

Yk

I have one and use it in the lower 48. Like mentioned the pack can carry more then most guys can. I have had an entire boned out bull in it with nothing breaking, wheres a boned buck broke a cabelas frame.

I think there is a review on them. I think Luke did it.... That thing is a serious pack man. You could pack anything in there. If I ever needed a super large pack, I'd be looking at that sucker right there

A Barneys in it's native habitat. Camp and a sheep in the bag.

IMG_3605.jpg

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
One thing might be that it's cheaper for those that live in Alaska to get something made in Alaska, rather than paying higher fees to have something shipped to Alaska. Especially if its not in a major population zone of Alaska. Could be why they are "more popular" there than elsewhere. Just a thought.

One thing might be that it's cheaper for those that live in Alaska to get something made in Alaska, rather than paying higher fees to have something shipped to Alaska. Especially if its not in a major population zone of Alaska. Could be why they are "more popular" there than elsewhere. Just a thought.

"Cheaper" actually has nothing to do with it being popular here. The pack that Aron was wearing currently goes for $725 in Anchorage. It's a premium pack at an extra premium price. I could order any one of the other top brands and have it shipped up here for the same or less.

http://barneyssports.com/backpacks/...ear-of-alaska-frieghter-frame-yukon-pack.html

The packs are actually sewn by an outside contractor in the states. Not really "made in Alaska". They are just designed and sold by a specific store in Anchorage and aren't available anywhere else.

Yk

Floorguy

WKR

Its not made in Alaska the store that sells it is in Alaska. So really its just the price of shipping that is more expensive. Its more likely that Barney's is a small store with a relatively small online presence.

bowuntr

WKR
I own one... a no frills hauler that will carry more than I ever could... Ed F

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 101

Floorguy

WKR
What is the smallest waist these packs will work with/

32" has the foam padding touching on the waist belt.

I just picked up the frame. I am thinking about taking the suspension and putting it in my camp trails frame as its slightly lighter.