Barney’s packs (bag question)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I’ve used Barney’s frames for awhile for hauling meat but never as a real backpack to carry my gear (other than strapping on a dry bag for day gear).

I’m going on a caribou hunt this year and want to use my Barney’s frame so I need to choose a bag. Which bag allows you to continue using the meat shelf? I see that at least one of the 3 bags they make requires you to remove the meat shelf.

Do any of their bags allow you to keep it on for when you do haul meat out? Or do guys sort of just put it inside their bag and not utilize the shelf?

What bag should I get? Which bag do you have?

Thanks!!!

Used the Yukon for years. Always just put the meat inside the bag to haul. Can verify that it will fit a full sheep and camp.

The "Hunter" bag, which is their smallest, allows you to use the external meat shelf at the bottom of the frame, as the bag doesn't span the entire length of the frame. Both the "Yukon" and "Pinnacle" require the removal of the external meat shelf, although the "Yukon" has an internal load shelf that when zipped up, allows for you to move some of the weight higher on your back, which is the method I recommend.

I have both the "Hunter" and "Yukon" bags, with the "Yukon" getting most of the work. I use the "Hunter" bag on solo sheep hunts, and have never used the external meat shelf for anything in the 12 or so years I've been using Barney's packs.

EastMT

WKR
Hello,

I’ve used Barney’s frames for awhile for hauling meat but never as a real backpack to carry my gear (other than strapping on a dry bag for day gear).

I’m going on a caribou hunt this year and want to use my Barney’s frame so I need to choose a bag. Which bag allows you to continue using the meat shelf? I see that at least one of the 3 bags they make requires you to remove the meat shelf.

Do any of their bags allow you to keep it on for when you do haul meat out? Or do guys sort of just put it inside their bag and not utilize the shelf?

What bag should I get? Which bag do you have?

Thanks!!!

1cfe8850e0342fef14bc4504903fdcf7.jpg

I’m going to try one of these bags out this year, I like that it doesn’t use the grommet holes, you can put the meat between the pack and frame like an internal, may be worth a look

EastMT

WKR
I’ve been using the cheap alps pack bag for sheep and goat on mine, but this looks much nicer. I’ll update you once I get it installed

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The "Hunter" bag, which is their smallest, allows you to use the external meat shelf at the bottom of the frame, as the bag doesn't span the entire length of the frame. Both the "Yukon" and "Pinnacle" require the removal of the external meat shelf, although the "Yukon" has an internal load shelf that when zipped up, allows for you to move some of the weight higher on your back, which is the method I recommend.

I have both the "Hunter" and "Yukon" bags, with the "Yukon" getting most of the work. I use the "Hunter" bag on solo sheep hunts, and have never used the external meat shelf for anything in the 12 or so years I've been using Barney's packs.

I’ve only used the Barney’s frames as stand alone frames, like that, the shelf is pretty nice for strapping on moose quarters.

So you use the frame/pack without the shelf?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
1cfe8850e0342fef14bc4504903fdcf7.jpg

I’m going to try one of these bags out this year, I like that it doesn’t use the grommet holes, you can put the meat between the pack and frame like an internal, may be worth a look

My friend has that frame, he dosent have the bag though. It works pretty well for hauling meat out.

AKSandman

FNG
@thinhorn_AK
Everybody runs their gear different, but the first two things I do is get rid of the aluminum load shelf and loose the top adjustable bar on the barney’s (freighter frame). This lightens up your pack weight and unless you are exclusively packing out bone in moose quarters with the shanks attached, I have had zero issues running it this way. You can fit a caribou or sheep inside the backpack without issue.
You could also look into other brands of backpack bags that fit onto the freighter style frames to find something that fits your needs better. Here is an example.
8B78109A-6F6E-472B-A436-D90CE43365BC.jpeg

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Barneys frame in 2018 and used it with a dry sack and meat hauling. 2019 I pulled a mountain goat tag and bought the pinnacle bag. I was able to fit the whole goat in it without deboning it. This year we shot two bears on memorial day and were able to stick an entire gutted bear in the pack. Not huge bears but it was nice being able to skin them out at the truck.

I only have two gripes about the bag. The cinch string on the collar of the bag can be a pain sometimes to snug up, at least on mine. After washing the bag, it was a real pain in the ass to put back on. I don't think I will ever take it off again. I'll just wash it down on the frame from now on.

I was in the store not too long ago and saw they updated the bags. They added more straps to cinch the bag down and they look pretty slick. Wish I would have waited a year to buy one.

Attachments

• 2 packs 2 bears.jpeg
    2 packs 2 bears.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 32
  • bear.jpeg
    bear.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 31
  • goat pack.jpg
    goat pack.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 33