Barns TSX performance.

I worked up loads for a Sako 75 Finnlite using Hornady GMX bullets. Best 3 shot group (I know, I know. I don't start on 5 and 10 until I'm sure it's not a waste of time) was around 5 inches. That was 50 down the drain.

I've always found good loads using Barnes.
I've heard that about GMX, I just didn't want to sound like I knew ….

wapitibob

WKR
Shot this years elk with a 140 tsx out of a 7stw at 250 ish yards. Point of shoulder entrance, out thru the other side lower scapula. She went about 5 steps. They’ve done very well on antelope as well. In fact, exit is larger on the antelope.

KClark

WKR
Obviously GMXs aren't consistently as bad as my limited experience or Hornady would drop them but everything else I've tried in this rifle has grouped under an inch, even the factory loads that came with it. Since it's a 6.5x55 a contributing factor may be it's very long "European" throat meant for 160gr round nose bullets.

They shot well for me, but I went back to Accubonds. I never got the opportunity to see how they perform on elk.

I noticed Barnes sells a 180gr TTSX for 1:11 twist and higher. What happens if I use those in a 1:10 barrel? I would assume accuracy would suffer a bit.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
None of the monos are pure copper, they're all a gliding metal alloy of some sort, each manufacturer uses difference versions based on what they want in terms of performance, etc.

They shot well for me, but I went back to Accubonds. I never got the opportunity to see how they perform on elk.

I noticed Barnes sells a 180gr TTSX for 1:11 twist and higher. What happens if I use those in a 1:10 barrel? I would assume accuracy would suffer a bit.

It has to do with bullet stability, depending on your altitude and speed you might be able to still stabilize it but the user would need to look at their parameters. Lack of bullet stability decreases BC, can affect accuracy, and one thing I didn't previously think about but was mentioned in another thread can affect terminal performance. IE a wobbling bullet on impact could open different, tumble through the animal, veer in the animal, etc.

amassi

WKR

Your twist is faster than the minimum required for stability, you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ebubedike

FNG
Used them in Africa three months ago. TSX and TTSX. No problem with them, but I would use the TSX for elk. Africa game are tougher than what we encounter in the states. 30 06 and 338 06. No problems.

16Bore

WKR
Has anyone had success running 130 grain through a 308 or 30'06?

They shot really well out of my 30-06 Tikka with R15. No dead animal stories though.

You can pretty much dial back on weight with monos. 130’s would be a “replacement” for 150 C&C’s.

Faster the better for copper.

BlaserR93

FNG
Just picked up a couple of packets of 180grn TTSX for my .300win mag for use down under on our sambar deer.
My barrel has a 1:11 twist which Barnes recommends as a minimum or faster.
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with accuracy or stability with a 1:11 twist barrel using these projectiles?
Cheers
John

Love the TTSX for big stuff. From both my experience and in all I’ve read Barnes bullets perform best when pushed hard so I’ve pretty much restricted them to my .300win and .300wea with good results on big stuff. Took a 9ft Brown Bear with my .300wea/TTSX a few years back who I shot quartering toward me At about 75yards. Recovered the bullet from the hind quarter - perfect expansion and a lot of damage.

However, I think they are a bit too robust for standard speed rounds on deer, sheep and smaller. In my experience, less expansion, especially at med-long range. They’ll still work but feel softer Accubonds, ELD-X, and many tried-and-true cup & core bullets deliver more of their energy. My 30-06 and 6.5CM have accounted for many “bang-flops” or “down within sight” using Accubonds, ELD-X, and Hornady Interlocks. Have a lot of buddies who swear by Ballistic Tips on deer, sheep and smaller.

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
TSX's and TTSX's are pretty much all that I handload for the hunting rifles that I and my children use. Highly achieved accuracy has always been obtainable with load development.

A couple dozen moose and four grizzlies with 270's out of a 37H&H. Half a dozen black bears with 100's out of a 257WBY. Numerous blacktails, three mountain goats (my daughter, son, and I), and a ram (my daughter) with 120's out of a 7mm-08. My son got his first brown bear this fall (9 footer) with a single 210grn heart shot out of a 338-06.

In all of the above, we've only recovered a handful of bullets...one from a mountain goat, four others from different head-shot moose. All the others entered, expanded, and exited the other side.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
7mm 150gr TTSX out of a 7mm Remington Magnum. Spine shot on a bull moose at 75ish yards and recovered it under the skin on the opposite. Same bullet, same gun but at 246 yards on a cow moose through the boiler room (one lung and nicked the heart). Had a .284 entrance and about a golf ball sized exit hole, no recovery due to the complete pass through.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Just picked up a couple of packets of 180grn TTSX for my .300win mag for use down under on our sambar deer.
My barrel has a 1:11 twist which Barnes recommends as a minimum or faster.
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with accuracy or stability with a 1:11 twist barrel using these projectiles?
Cheers
John

I have run the 180s tsx in an 11" twist 300 wsm. They shoot lights out. Very accurate and excellent performance on game. You shouldn't have trouble even running a heavier bullet.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting 225 gr TSX in my 338wm for many years. They've hammered moose, bison, and black bear. I've recovered 4 rounds. Only one had all its pedals when recovered. I found that if you hit a shoulder or denser bone at closer range you'll loose pedals. All of these rounds were from shots around 100 yards.

The far left round is a 140 gr Federal Trophy Copper out of a 7mm-08. Pulled it out of a Sitka blacktail two weeks ago. 80 yards, hard quarter to me, down hill. Caught the very front of the shoulder and traveled 2/3 the length of the body to the opposite side.

The other 4 rounds are 225gr TSX in 338wm.IMG_7060.jpgIMG_7057.jpg

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I used the TTSX for the first time ever, on my elk hunt this year. 150 gr out of my 30-06, @3060 fps at the muzzle. Both bullets stopped under the skin on the bull's off side (first was a good hit, second was insurance). Shots were quartering away at around 200 yds. Both mushroomed as advertised. I'm planning to work up a load for my 25-06 also.

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_204506.jpg
    IMG_20191019_204506.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20191019_204459.jpg
    IMG_20191019_204459.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I’ve shot several critters with them. The only one I’ve ever recovered is in the picture below; frontal shot on a bull moose at approximately 90 yards. Butcher recovered it in a hind quarter. This was a .338 Win 225 gr TTSX.
I have utilized the 140 gr version in a .280 Remington, passed through the vital cavity of a bull moose at roughly 285 yards. Holes in both sides but not an overly large wound channel.
047457ab71b00d00be05b6968b8bf327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 56

PA Hunter

WKR
Less than stellar results for me out of my .300 Rum that I handload for. 200 gr Barnes ttsx shoot outstanding accuracy but the last three animals moose took 4 well placed shots ok it’s a moose? Next elk 4 perfect shots to down it also well placed behind shoulder less than stellar. Next up 06 168 gr ttsx great accuracy 6 shots on a whitetail all great shots. Never had a bullet so underperform for me in 40 years of hunting. Switched to Accubonds same ultramarines and next 2 moose bang flop like night and day. Much more energy dispensed in the animal. Loaded for 4 other hunters same results from Accubonds total devastation. Additionally all the Barnes shots were 100 to 200 yds only.

Bsnyder

WKR
We are now up to 34 big game animals from last year and 6 more this year antelope deer and elk shots from 150 yards to longest antelope at 485 all bang flops I love them, calibers were 300 ultra 175 lrx 257wby 100 gr ttsx 6.5-300 wby 127 lrx on an elk at 150 blew through both shoulders and exited. She never took a step drt big Wyoming whitetail at 330 same thing. It’s the only brand I trust any more. But I also have shot an animal over 600 if I was Berger would be a good choice.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
How do yall feel about shooting double lungs on a whitetail (vs a shoulder/bone shot) with the polymer tipped TTSX? I have the 120 gr loaded to around 2900fps in my 7mm-08. Shots will be inside of 100 yards, so should be 2800+ at impact

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk