Barrel break in, does it matter?

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
250ish rounds down a new Bartlein tube. I’ll be better about progress on this one since I have a lot of components dedicated to it exclusively.

No break in, no cleaning, just pushed a couple of patches down the barrel when I got it to make sure there wasn’t debris in there for what that’s worth.

D6CE4F60-D02F-45C1-9350-5564A575BED3.jpeg

Just max hornady load.

amassi

WKR
250ish rounds down a new Bartlein tube. I’ll be better about progress on this one since I have a lot of components dedicated to it exclusively.

No break in, no cleaning, just pushed a couple of patches down the barrel when I got it to make sure there wasn’t debris in there for what that’s worth.

View attachment 459328

Just max hornady load.
What is a 6.5 sac? Just a short action customs creedmoor reamer??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stu

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
What is a 6.5 sac? Just a short action customs creedmoor reamer??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yep. Short Action Customs trued a Tikka T3X and put on a heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for me.

jonandy

FNG
Guys, I love hearing both sides on this. I have never been super religious about cleaning my guns, sometimes I go a few hundred rounds before I clean, never noticed much difference. Really appreciate all the info!

morgaj1

WKR
An old timer broke me of cleaning barrels years ago. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Guard dog hell. I'll be the first one to say if I don't agree with form or ryan avery or robby or anybody. Now your just talking out of the side of your mouth.

Don't be that guy that asks questions that have no relevence to the content. You dont have to agree or disagree with him. Hell you dont even have to try it out. But until you have first hand knowledge then saying he is wrong is shooting in the dark.

Explain to me in small words since I'm simple how what he does to make a living dictates his worthyness to weigh in on a specific topic. Does being a janitor that competition shoots make him less worthy?

And I clean my guns. Semi infrequently, some less then others. So I dont agree with Form 100% on not cleaning ever but some guns its working on at over 1000 of rounds. particullary my 270 win with a BARTLIEN barrel. I also have a barret fieldcraft 6.5 manbun that needs cleaned every 150ish rounds or it goes from 1.1 moa to 2 moa.
Curious why you think the fc needs cleaned that often and what forms opinion of that is as well.
Helpful thread!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Curious why you think the fc needs cleaned that often and what forms opinion of that is as well.
Helpful thread!

I couldnt speculate as to why it likes to be cleaned that frequently.
I havent taken it beyond that 150ish rounds per forms request to see what truely happens.
I like the gun but I'm not great with it. The stock doesn't work well for me and I dont shoot the gun well. I have other guns that I shoot well and I jive with better so the fieldcraft sits. Some of my form errors that cause me to shoot that gun bad are physical based on my sheer size at 6'7" and 260 and arent easy or not possible to fix.
I dont want to sell it because I like it and its a pound lighter then my next lightest so it just hangs around.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
When people like George Gardner ands others says it does. I do it. Obviously there are lots of rifles that are shooting lights out without breakin, but what would the groups of looked like with a proper break in?

I just got a Bartlein barrel. So I was reading on Bartleins website. Recommended cleaning was to push a patch down and then pull the patch back? Do others do that. I always thought push the patch out down the barrel.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got a Bartlein barrel. So I was reading on Bartleins website. Recommended cleaning was to push a patch down and then pull the patch back? Do others do that. I always thought push the patch out down the barrel.
Yes I had a bartlein barrel installed on my rifle. While I'm not sure the break in is necessary I tried following thier instructions. My cleaning rod only has a tip for pushing the patch though you can't pull it back so I just did it that way

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yes I had a bartlein barrel installed on my rifle. While I'm not sure the break in is necessary I tried following thier instructions. My cleaning rod only has a tip for pushing the patch though you can't pull it back so I just did it that way

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Ok yea that’s what my jag is like too