Barrel Break in Procedure

Rdolcini

FNG
I’m receiving a new rifle soon and have been asking around about barrel break in procedures. Everyone seems to have a different procedure. Looking for suggestions.

VernAK

WKR
I clean the new barrel before studying with a bore scope to determine the quality and look for hidden copper etc.

I then shoot one or two David Tubb's Final Finish bullets depending on quality of rifling.

I'll shoot my first sight-in group and inspect the bore for copper or fouling before cleaning again.

Usually, the rifle is ready for further plinking or hunting.

I’m receiving a new rifle soon and have been asking around about barrel break in procedures. Everyone seems to have a different procedure. Looking for suggestions.
The standard is to clean after every shot for the first 5
Then its recommended to clean after 5 shots until 20 rounds are through the barrel, after that you're good to go.
After break in I typically clean every 30-50 rounds to avoid carbon ring issues

OP
R

Rdolcini

FNG
The standard is to clean after every shot for the first 5
Then its recommended to clean after 5 shots until 20 rounds are through the barrel, after that you're good to go.
After break in I typically clean every 30-50 rounds to avoid carbon ring issues
I’ve seen guys recommended anywhere from 40-100+ rounds for the break in stating that they still see velocity changes with that many rounds through it. Is there some truth to that?

I used to do the shoot/clean/shoot/clean etc break in procedure but no longer. Generally it is a waste and per barrel manufacturers, that procedure helps keep them in business! Clean any packing grease etc out of it, then go shoot it. Most barrels speed up in the first 100-150 rounds or so and then settle in nicely. There is a great thread on a different forum (I won't mention that forum directly but that thread cannot HIDE from a SNIPER) that I would encourage you to read.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen guys recommended anywhere from 40-100+ rounds for the break in stating that they still see velocity changes with that many rounds through it. Is there some truth to that?

What you're referring to is actually barrel speed up, not so much break in that involves cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory or custom barrel?? If custom you really aren't gaining anything doing a "barrel break-in" since its a custom barrel that was hand lapped already. What you are doing is breaking in the throat area of the barrel. After finish reaming there can be some rough spots depending on how well it was done, that area might need to smoothed out/broke in.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I've always don't the standard break in procedure for new barrels whether factory or match. Seeing everyone supposedly "getting away" with not doing break in, I decided to try the same on my new RUM with Bartlein 400MOD barrel. Big mistake! After 25-30 rounds it was pressuring up due to copper load. Took a long time even with Boretech to get it stripped back out so I could start all over. My advice, just do it and avoid fouling issues in the future. Yes it's a pita but just do it.

hodgeman

WKR
Curious why you you think it’s a waste of time?
Because I've done it meticulously and I've completely ignored it. And there's no appreciable difference in how the rifles shoot or clean up afterwards.

The only benefit I can see is you're getting to shoot your new rifle more, and the practice is likely more valuable than any perceived "seasoning" of the barrel. Heck, just shoot it, clean it, and repeat...you'll "break in" your barrel organically while not blasting through $500 in ammo up front.

Dcrafton

WKR
Factory or custom barrel?? If custom you really aren't gaining anything doing a "barrel break-in" since its a custom barrel that was hand lapped already. What you are doing is breaking in the throat area of the barrel. After finish reaming there can be some rough spots depending on how well it was done, that area might need to smoothed out/broke in.

I would agree, a good barrel (custom) most likely will not need a break in. You should run a couple of pads through it to remove any left over debris from cutting the chamber. But on my custom rifles I do not follow any break in procedures.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Basically it just gets fouled up a little more in the first few shots because everything hasn't been smoothed out. Might not hurt to clean it a lil more in the first 20 shots......barrel break in is overrated.

B23

WKR
Yeah that!

Factory barrels, in comparison to good quality custom barrels, well, there is no comparison and they generally take a lot more "breaking in" to smooth them out. I've never done this but I've heard of many using JB paste on a new barrel to accelerate the smoothing out process particularly in the throat area. With factory barrels it may not be a bad idea but like anything, use it in moderation and I'm not sure I'd ever do it with a custom barrel. Some mite, but I'd probably be to chicken to do that with a custom barrel.

B23

WKR
Here’s the recommendation from one of the best, if not the best, barrel makers on the planet:

Not sure if Frank Green is a forum member here or not but if we could get him to sign up Frank is always really awesome about answering just about any and all barrel related questions I've ever had for him. Maybe one of the Mods could reach out to him and see if we can get Frank to post on here as well.

I know they make an excellent top tier barrel but I've never used a Bartlein barrel on a build but because Frank has been so good about answering my and many others questions on other forums, my next barrel is going to be a Bartlein.

Squincher

WKR
Not sure if Frank Green is a forum member here or not but if we could get him to sign up Frank is always really awesome about answering just about any and all barrel related questions I've ever had for him. Maybe one of the Mods could reach out to him and see if we can get Frank to post on here as well.

I know they make an excellent top tier barrel but I've never used a Bartlein barrel on a build but because Frank has been so good about answering my and many others questions on other forums, my next barrel is going to be a Bartlein.

I'd imagine a barrel expert would have more productive ways to spend his time than arguing with internet nitwits.