Barrel Break-in...thoughts?

Just picked up my 6.5 prc built by S3 gunsmithing out of Loveland, CO. Planning to get out to put some rounds down the tube this weekend.

Thoughts on barrel break in and proper method to do so? Was planning to follow the nosler recommendation on a 30 round break in for starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a big thread on this a year or two ago, and it was pretty evenly split on whether modern rifle barrels needed a “proper break-in” or not. Personally, I’ve done both (proper break-in and no break-in whatsoever), on probably a half dozen or so rifles, and I’ve never been able to tell the difference. That’s just been my limited experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow the manufacturer recommendations. My latest rifle was a browning and they recommended a pretty simple cleaning and shooting procedure. Took a little time but I did it all at the range and the barrel has since been very easy to clean and now produces almost no blue copper fouling. Most of the “high end” barrel manufacturers recommended a break in not for accuracy reasons but to “seal” the barrel.

Seems like it makes cleaning the barrel easier on successive cleanings but not sure it does anything for accuracy

Yeah, but should you clean your barrel?

Ive had rifles built with barrels from rock creek, broughton, Schneider, criterion, kreiger, pac-nor, er-shaw, bartlein, douglas....and probably a couple more i can't remember. I clean a new barrel and then just shoot. I dont touch the barrels again until accuracy starts to suffer. To each their own.

Wrench

WKR
Ive had rifles built with barrels from rock creek, broughton, Schneider, criterion, kreiger, pac-nor, er-shaw, bartlein, douglas....and probably a couple more i can't remember. I clean a new barrel and then just shoot. I dont touch the barrels again until accuracy starts to suffer. To each their own.

Agreed. Sometimes that's 800 rounds, could be 30. You're trying to keep a barrel clean and smooth. If it starts out that way, it'll be that way for a ton of shots.

If not, not.

K

Kootenay Hunter

To have a break in period is to assume that after a certain period (or amount of shots) that the barrel will become static. I find this hard to believe as barrels wear out over time, so wear happens with every shot.

As most modern rifles claim sub MOA accuracy out of the box and don't really cite a break in cycle, it's more likely something of antiquity.

Same goes for multi weight oils in cars....unless you're in super duper cold weather, there's no increased wear driving without warming up a multi-weight oil...but myths persist.

I think a lot of times this is just a hold over from the past.

gbflyer

WKR
I think it has a lot more to do with the throat than the barrel. These smiths today are getting really good at cutting chambers/ near perfect throats with pressurized cutting oil systems etc. and we don’t see barrels coppering up anything like we used to. I think a lot more folks are just shooting them.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but should you clean your barrel?

I don't clean mine, but it seems the initial break in process keeps the barrel from fouling more so than if you hadn't. To each their own - had a .308 I never broke in and have a 6.5 creed I didn't break in and both shoot .5" any day of the week. At the end of the day, it's not going to hurt anything but I agree, it's probably not necessary

Tacos

FNG
I follow the manufacturer recommendations. My latest rifle was a browning and they recommended a pretty simple cleaning and shooting procedure. Took a little time but I did it all at the range and the barrel has since been very easy to clean and now produces almost no blue copper fouling. Most of the “high end” barrel manufacturers recommended a break in not for accuracy reasons but to “seal” the barrel.
^^^This has been my experience as well. I've found the cleaning process to be much easier when the barrel has been through a break in process. The process my gunsmith suggests takes about 25 rounds and can be done in about 30 minutes.

If the barrel is well made and chambered, it's a waste of time. My current 6.5 CM has never been cleaned in around 600 rounds, not a single patch down the barrel. It's shooting the same 3/4 MOA it did on day one.

BrentH

WKR
For the guys saying just shoot it and clean once grouping gets bad, what type of cleaning solvent do you use? Something harsh like a Barnes CR-10, or something a little less strong? Thanks.

Broz

WKR
Since I hunt, and strive for cold bore hits. I don't think the " Wait till she shoots badly then clean will work for me" If fact I cant think of any instance we would want to "Wait" for this to happen. But as said, to each their own.

I believe in a breaking regimen for the first 20 shots or so. Then clean about every 50 unless I see the rifle is still coppering badly and I will clean more often for a while. Usually after the barrels speeds up at 120 to 150 rounds she is settled in.

I always see a huge reduction in copper fouling during break in, so we know it is smoothing out, even after a good hand lapping. I prefer BoreTech Eliminator for my cleaning solvent, and I never use oil in the bore after cleaning. Just dry patch and go and most my rifles shoot clean cold shots into group.

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
I think Broz has a good point, to each their own. With that said I would listen to him he’s documented more kills on big game animals than most on this forum and that doesn’t happen by accident.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think more damage is done from improper cleaning and overcleaning than not cleaning enough.

I shoot it....keep the outside nice and clean, touch the bore only when needed.

Ditto wipeout - easy to use, really good on copper, wife doesn't complain about the smell (Butches nearly caused a divorce).