Barrel choice for 6.5PRC custom

OP
T
Thomasj1107, I actually ran a cf wrapped 260 barrel in matches about 5 years ago. Never had any issue with mirage caused by heat coming off the barrel. Now obviously just 10 or 12 rd stages of fire and a scope with max mag of 16, rhat cf barrel was a remington varmint contour. In fact I never really encountered an issue of mirage caused by the heat of the barrel with steel or cf in rem varmint or larger contour under 25x. What I have always encountered with lighter sporter barrels such as a #3 or 3b or even a #4 is the actual barrel getting hot after 4 or 5 rds causing a shift in poi, obviously caliber has a role

You did have an actual shift in POI with a 3B sized barrel? Did you have any shift in POI with the CF?

SDHNTR

WKR
I certainly would never call a Bartlein 3 or 3B a “lighter sporter”. Quite the contrary. Heavy sporter maybe. Hell, even the 2b is more like a magnum sporter and we are talking 2 full stages heavier here.

I have a .308 and a .358 in the APR contour. I’ve shot plenty of multi shot strings, without rushing in between, just normal speed of loading and aiming, and I’ve never ever noticed a shift in poi. You’d almost have to deliberately heat up a 3B to get it to the point of shifting POI. Of course that is assuming good bedding.

OP, unless deliberately trying to heat it up, I can’t imagine a single normal scenario at the range or while hunting where you’d shoot rapid fire enough to cause a shift in poi.

I just did a hunting rifle with the Bart #4 Cf barrel and so far am really happy with it. Only about 40 rounds down the barrel but it shots great and has been great to carry in the field.

Ohearchai

FNG
Thomasj1107, never had an issue with the cf barrel, as I stated 260 Rem varmint with a long shank, 10 to 12 rds in 90 or 2 min stages of fire. Had a benchmark #3, kreiger #3 and a bartlein #2b, all similar contours and obviously lighter than a 3b, chambered in 6.5wsm, 270wsm and 7 rem mag. Great barrels for hunting, but even in load developement, 10 rds would be the max I would send before allowing the barrel to cool and sometimes even half that number. Excellent choices for hunting but for competition, no. Obviously there is a significant weight savings by getting a cf Bartlein #4 or 13 over steel and to be honest on my last build I compromised on the barrel, hoping perhaps I would use it at some of the elr matches next year.

BigDog00

WKR
I just got my #13 Bartlien CF back and it was 2# 15oz finished (w/ muzzle thread protector). Its chambered in .300 wsm and is 24". My total scoped rifle weight was something like 8lb 7oz I think. Bare rifle was ~6lb 10 oz. I went with the #13 vs #4 based on the minimal difference in weight.

Bighorn SR3
Bart #13 CF
Mesa CF stock
Hawkins BDL
Hawkins Rings
Vortex HST 4-16
TT Special

OP
T
Thomasj1107, never had an issue with the cf barrel, as I stated 260 Rem varmint with a long shank, 10 to 12 rds in 90 or 2 min stages of fire. Had a benchmark #3, kreiger #3 and a bartlein #2b, all similar contours and obviously lighter than a 3b, chambered in 6.5wsm, 270wsm and 7 rem mag. Great barrels for hunting, but even in load developement, 10 rds would be the max I would send before allowing the barrel to cool and sometimes even half that number. Excellent choices for hunting but for competition, no. Obviously there is a significant weight savings by getting a cf Bartlein #4 or 13 over steel and to be honest on my last build I compromised on the barrel, hoping perhaps I would use it at some of the elr matches next year.

So you feel like the CF barrel had more tolerance to shot strings than the lighter contour steel barrels?

I personally would go with a CF barrel over a Steel 3b for a hunting rig. By the time you flute it you will be right in the same cost of a proof pre-fit. You would also be ~5 oz lower in which you still have a nice big shoulder for either a can or muzzle brake.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
2b in a bartlien with somewhat shallower flutes.there are also other barrel manufactures you could check out.several.your basically trying to get a sporter type hunting rifle ans somewhat of a competition bench gun in one.i dont know the other components your looking to use.

wildcat33

WKR
3b is a hunk of steel. I run a #3 and see zero need to go heavier for a hunting rifle. 2b or 3 fluted are about same weight. Fluting does nothing except lighten you wallet, same could be said for carbon wrapped unless running a can. Looks cool though. A bartlien barrel will have no noticeable poi shift in these steel weights under “hunting rifle conditions” unless it’s a defect.