Barrel cooling fan

fishslap

WKR
Anyone use a barrel cooling fan at the range for those days when it’s hot out and takes forever to cool off? Recommendations for which one? I was shooting my tikka 7mm rem mag yesterday and it was heating up quick and taking forever to cool down where it didn’t feel really hot.

I have. 20v dewalt air pump for inflating tires and whatever misc items like floating and tubes. I adapter a piece of hose that fits my chamber. Honestly moves about 5-6x more volume of air through the barrel than any dedicated barrel cooler on the market. I tried a barrel kuhl out and within 20 seconds gave it back to my buddy. No comparison. Bulky but effective.

Seen them in use occasionally but unsure just how well they actually work. I do know they don’t work well when it’s hot.

Best method I’ve seen is to take a shot every 90-120 seconds, for three total shots. Then move on to the next rifle to let the first one “cool” down (in the rack vertically with the bolt open).

I normally bring several rifles to allow some level of sufficient cool down.

But during our balmy summers I do periodically lay a wet clothe over the barrel between shots.

Do know that thin barrels heat up fast.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Seen them in use occasionally but unsure just how well they actually work. I do know they don’t work well when it’s hot.

Best method I’ve seen is to take a shot every 90-120 seconds, for three total shots. Then move on to the next rifle to let the first one “cool” down (in the rack vertically with the bolt open).

I normally bring several rifles to allow some level of sufficient cool down.

But during our balmy summers I do periodically lay a wet clothe over the barrel between shots.

Do know that thin barrels heat up fast.
It’s the tikka t3x lite so could be the barrel and general hot day. I also take multiple rifles but need to be more disciplined in rotating. I was taking breaks between shots but it stayed hot all morning. Might just be unavoidable on hot days.

It’s the tikka t3x lite so could be the barrel and general hot day. I also take multiple rifles but need to be more disciplined in rotating. I was taking breaks between shots but it stayed hot all morning. Might just be unavoidable on hot days.
I have a couple of T3X, plus others, and the barrels do tend to get warm quickly.

What I posted is what I’ve found work best for me and combined with the high heat of AZ summers:

rayporter

WKR
get a CO2 cylinder and add a hose that will reach the action.

crack the valve and in 5 to 10 seconds you will have a cool barrel.

cold water out of a chemistry squirt bottle squirted in the acton and down the barrel is real good too. i keep a cooler of ice water near to use for this when shooting p dogs. add a wet towel on top of the barrel and it cools quick.

2muchhp

WKR
I use a soft ice pack , run it up and down the barrel top and bottom. I just wrap it in a cloth to keep it from sweating in my bag. I have a few that I get three shots and its time to let cool.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I use a soft ice pack , run it up and down the barrel top and bottom. I just wrap it in a cloth to keep it from sweating in my bag. I have a few that I get three shots and its time to let cool.
I thought about that since I brought a small cooler for drinks but I was worried about uneven cooling on the barrel. Might try it next trip to the range.

2muchhp

WKR
Just use common sense, move it around, wait to let everything stabilize before shooting etc.

rayporter

WKR
the soft ice pack is a great idea. i have one i got from my chiropractor that measures 17 inches on the diagonal that would cover a lot of barrel. he has larger sizes too.

rayporter

WKR
yesterday i tried the gel ice pack and it worked pretty well. temp was 101 and the only draw back may be the condensation dripping off the pack. but applying it every five shots kept the barrel cool.
when fireforming i left it on the barrel.

the 12 inch did cover most of the barrel when laid on the diagonal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just one more thing to haul to the range. I just take a few minutes and let it cool down. Can’t imagine spending money or effort for that issue.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Just one more thing to haul to the range. I just take a few minutes and let it cool down. Can’t imagine spending money or effort for that issue.
Not sure why guys reply with stuff like this. The original post said it was taking a long time to cool off and was looking for advice on a barrel cooling fans. Some good advice was given.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I have the magnetospeed one and it seems to help. There may be other options on the market now but I haven't looked recently. The high pitched whine does get annoying through electronic ear pro. It takes up no space in my range bag. Weighs nothing. $60 isn't much to spend for folks who have limited range time.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...4248&msclkid=f84045699565153a450927af6b7048f7
Thanks. This is the kind of recommendation I was looking for. Something like this plus the ice pack advice might help. I do most of my shooting in the summer months.

rootacres

WKR
I have one of the magneto speed fans. Seems to work ok. The best idea I heard so far and started implementing on the hot range days here is I fill a soft cooler with ice and water and soak a golf towel in it. I drape the towel over the barrel between strings. Cools the barrel off quick.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I have one of the magneto speed fans. Seems to work ok. The best idea I heard so far and started implementing on the hot range days here is I fill a soft cooler with ice and water and soak a golf towel in it. I drape the towel over the barrel between strings. Cools the barrel off quick.
Thanks. Seems like this is a good solution.