Barrel Length? 6.5 CM Suppressed

Dusty2426

WKR
I’m running 18” fieldcraft with the omega. I love it. I put a cow elk down with a high shoulder shot 730 yards with 140 nosler accubond. That’s about as far as I’d push it but it hammered her

Yep, some guys run bushings and haven’t had a mishap yet. Lots of folks don’t wear seatbelts & are fine. Every so often one of ‘em eats a windshield.

This is a super relevant analogy because the probabilities are just so similar.

Maybe a better one is that you’re supposed to turn your vehicle off at the gas pump, but a lot of folks don’t (me included). People are blowing up at the gas stations right and left.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
Great job recognizing the hyperbole. I honestly hope you don’t ever deal with a baffle strike. But a 1/2 to 5/8 adapter is not the way to go, and you just end up with an unsupported shoulder on these pencil barrels. Adapters don’t change load pathing. Barrels are cheap and the weight differential is minimal.

Instead of being a smartass why don't you help the guy out.

Incase you missed it here's the scenario. T3x lite. approx. .62" OD @ 18". He has an Omega. Doesn't want to rebarrel.

The weight difference isn't minimal, that's laughable. You realize you're posting on Rokslide right? Guys here will spend $100's to save a couple ozs.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I’d bet money more baffle strikes occur do to threads not being cut concentric to the bore than people using bushings. As long as there are cheaper options people will not simply “do it right the first time”. Just like I can’t justify how people spend $500 on a backpack, people don’t understand how the hell I can spend $3500 on a scope or $5000 on a rifle.

OP. If you decide to rebarrel with a proof shoot me a PM.

JigStick

WKR
Why expose yourself to risk on injury or property damage when you don’t have too. Quick fixes hardly ever work well in the long run, regardless of the application. Bushing adapters fall into this category.

What’s your eyesight worth? Your face and dominant hand? Are you willing to expose yourself to the risk of your action exploding in your face? I certainly am not.

How long did you wait for your Form 4 to clear? What did you pay to set up your trust? How much did your suppressor cost? Are you willing to risk all that time and effort? Baffle strikes are no joke. I’ve seen suppressors launched 100 meters down range from baffle strikes. Baffles and suppressor body’s mangled into scrap metal.

Yes rifles are expensive. Some of mine are REALLY expensive. But in the long run I’ve never regretted forking over the money to have it all done right. I’m 100% confident in their performance. And their safety. Too me that’s worth it’s weight in gold.

Shooting suppressed is “fun”. But not “necessary”. If you have to save up for a different barrel or stock then so be it. You can still hunt with your rifle in the current configuration.

I'm going though the same debate. The 18" adirondack will be just fine. Especially when i fit it with and MPI microlight

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
S8j99mA.jpg

Well I decided to get it cut down to 18” and threaded at 1/2x28 and use the same sized direct thread mount from SilencerCo and it looks like this is going to be a pretty good setup. I still dream of going a more custom route one day but after buying the ATACR sitting on top I need to let my savings account recuperate a bit. Thanks for all the advice guys, I never cease to learn from this place.

mt100gr.

WKR
That rifle will serve you well.

I know you didn't necessarily have a weight goal for the rifle but did you happen to weigh the bare rifle after cutting the barrel?

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
That rifle will serve you well.

I know you didn't necessarily have a weight goal for the rifle but did you happen to weigh the bare rifle after cutting the barrel?

Totally naked it weighed right at 6 lbs. Without the suppressor it was right at 8 lbs and then with the suppressor it ended up just over 9.5 lbs.

For its intended use I’m happy with that weight, if I want a real lightweight build one day I can always use another rifle right? Or I can change the scope and save a good bit but where’s the fun in that?

Sled

WKR
Totally naked it weighed right at 6 lbs. Without the suppressor it was right at 8 lbs and then with the suppressor it ended up just over 9.5 lbs.

For its intended use I’m happy with that weight, if I want a real lightweight build one day I can always use another rifle right? Or I can change the scope and save a good bit but where’s the fun in that?

after you've had a hunting season with it, is there anything you'd want to change?

what did your 18" barrel chrono with your ammo? any change with the suppressor on?

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
after you've had a hunting season with it, is there anything you'd want to change?

what did your 18" barrel chrono with your ammo? any change with the suppressor on?
I hunt in Texas where it’s pretty easy, no big hikes or anything. I’m looking for to change the stock to the KRG Bravo and will probably go with a lighter scope without a rail. I’ll use my ATACR on a CTR for long range shooting.

Literally just got a Magnetto Speed so I’ll have some good chronograph numbers next time I can get out and shoot.

Overall I have been nothing but impressed with the rifle, it shoots great and killed a couple nice bucks without any issue. Probably why the number of Tikkas in my safe has increased and I have plans for more. Darn things keep replicating.

I'm sure I've researched this before but I forgot the answer so I'll ask again - How is an adapter bushing any worse than the standard quick attach/detach options offered by suppressor manufacturers? Wouldn't the same tolerance stacking issues be present with those options?

I only own one suppressor, an Ultra 7 with the CB mount which I use with the Area 419 adapter system (cheaper than buying CB brakes for all my rifles). That said, the 419 system has the adapter that goes on your muzzle and another that goes in the brake to mate with the muzzle adapter. It seems to me that this system should have more opportunity for tolerance stack than using a single bushing adapter, yet it is a popular and common option used successfully by many. I got this option because of people's negative comments about bushing adapters but now i'm forgetting why I thought it was better.. It seems bushing adapters would be cheaper and easier.

Last edited:
OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider

Finally got a chance to chrono it. Was shooting 147gr Hornady Match ELD-M. With the Omega suppressor it averaged 2509 and sd was 9.4. Without the suppressor it averaged 2504 and sd was 14.9.

crich

WKR
Finally got a chance to chrono it. Was shooting 147gr Hornady Match ELD-M. With the Omega suppressor it averaged 2509 and sd was 9.4. Without the suppressor it averaged 2504 and sd was 14.9.
Are you super satisfied with the Omega or would you change it if you could start over? Im debating this and a tbac 5 strictly for a lightweight backpack rig. The omega seems to be more versatile .

Oh, just want to thank you for sticking with this thread and posting your results as well as what you actually did to your rifle. I read so many posts where the OP just disappears and everyone wonders what happened 🍻

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Are you super satisfied with the Omega or would you change it if you could start over? Im debating this and a tbac 5 strictly for a lightweight backpack rig. The omega seems to be more versatile .

Oh, just want to thank you for sticking with this thread and posting your results as well as what you actually did to your rifle. I read so many posts where the OP just disappears and everyone wonders what happened 🍻
I have no experience with other rifle cans so I can’t really compare but I have been pleased with the Omega. It does have a noticeable POI shift though but the only time I shot it unsuppressed was to see what it would chrono that way. If I had to do it again I’d be looking into the new Thunder Beast cans but I’m not really looking to replace the Omega.

Sled

WKR
my new ammo came in from eagle eye. their chrono had it at 3015 on their bbl, which is smoking for a 6.5cm. out of my 17" bbl i'm seeing 2620 on average. 400fps is a big drop even if they had a 26" barrel. i did have one shot go 4.75" high. i thought it was because i just put on the magneto speed but it thumped more like my short mag. when i checked the chrono it read 3027fps. not sure how that happened but that was one out of 4 shots. not too confidence inspiring on my new ammo. might need to go back to reloading.

edit: i'm going to weigh a sampling of the 200 i have on hand and see how many are off greater than a couple grains.

Sled

WKR
so, a quick sampling shows about a 1.5gr variance in all cartridges when checking about 40 of a 100 count box. not too bad considering all the components involved have a tolerance (brass, primer, projectile and powder).

Shane431

FNG
I was in the same dilemma. I cut my Tikka lite down to 20” and had it threaded to 1/2x28. Griffin makes a muzzle brake to fit 1/2x28 that has a 30 cal hole in it so you don’t have to use a bushing or adapter. I like it and am very happy I did.

I’ve got a take-off barrel at the gunsmith getting chopped to 18” and threaded 1/2x28 to be used with an Omega and a 1/2x28 direct thread mount. Should get 2750-2800 out of it with RL26 according to quick load and my own experience with my loads in a 24” barrel (2950 FPS). 1800 FPS out 750 yards or so. What’s not to like?!!