Barrel length and velocity

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Just trying to learn something here , but haven't found answers on the google:
When it comes to barrel length and velocities out of longer barrels does a shorter barrel (24") plus a 2" muzzle break make that gun act as a 26" barrel? 22" barrel with a suppressor equal the overall length and gain the velocity back of the longer barrel?
Hopefully this isn't too long winded and my examples make sense.

The seekins havok element with a 22" barrel made me think of this.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
The only way the brake will make a shorter barrel act like a longer barrel is the increased difficulty carrying it through thick brush. Suppressors will add some velocity called freebore boost, but the amount likely will depending on the can, cartridge, powder used, barrel length etc. It's negligible though.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Suppressor might add 0 to 10 FPS from “free bore boost”. Velocity is gained in the barrel. Brake does nothing to velocity.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Continuing the questions with barrel length. How much velocity do you lose per inch oof shortening. I know every caliber/rifle is probably different but let's say a 28 nosler. The seekins with a 22" barrel is really appealing but not if you lose speed and a lot oof accuracy

Barrel length and accuracy are not correlated at all.

In regards to how much velocity is lost per inch, it depends on a lot of factors. I would speculate that a 28 Nosler would lose somewhere between 25 and 50 fps for every inch of barrel. Probably not much between 26 and 24 inche, but more as you drop below 24.
Either way, it is still going to punch a standard weight hunting bullet (140-175 grain) at a pretty good clip, even out of a 22 inch barrel.

People get way too hung up on velocity numbers, when they should be worried about hitting what they are aiming at. Once you go over 300 yards, you are going to have to understand wind deflection and drop, regardless of whether your bullet comes out of the muzzle at 2500 fps or 3200 fps.

Continuing the questions with barrel length. How much velocity do you lose per inch oof shortening. I know every caliber/rifle is probably different but let's say a 28 nosler. The seekins with a 22" barrel is really appealing but not if you lose speed and a lot oof accuracy

Generally you will lose around 25-35 fps per inch of barrel, accuracy will never degrade with a shorter barrel if anything it will improve with lighter contours given there's less barrel whip.
In your example a 22" 28 nos will probably send a 195 around 2900 fps

jhm2023

WKR
Gunwerks had a podcast a while back about velocity loss at different barrel lengths for several cartridges, the 28 included. The short of it was that the larger less efficient cartridges lost more per inch and the smaller more efficient ones lost less per inch.