Barrel Swap?

So i've been looking into my next two rifles, I sold my Hell's canyon 30-06 and i'm going to replace it with a savage ultralite 30-06. That part is set. The second rifle is why I'm here. I've wanted a 25-06 for awhile, but i've been struggling to find one I like with a 24" barrel. I've been looking at the Weatherby vanguard badlands. But part of me kind of wants to get another ultralite to keep the rifles the same.

So i've been toying with the idea of buying another ultralite in 270 or 30-06 and buying a 25-06 barrel for it and selling the proof. The problem is I have no experience swapping barrels. It's probably not something i'd do myself, so how much would it be roughly to get it swapped?

I'm also open to any other ideas

OP
JPeters218
I'm not as concerned with weight on the 25-06, would it be more cost effective to go with a 110 storm or lightweight storm platform instead?

rayporter

WKR
you can do it your self. it is not as easy as a shouldered barrel, which does not need the gauges, but it is done everyday by folks like you. it might help to be shown the first time if you are apprehensive. changing barrels opens up a whole new world.

OP
JPeters218
I’ve been looking at Shaw barrels. About the same price as criterion

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
Where you located? Sure someone can help if you’re close by. I have the tools to do it and am I’m SE Pa. if you’re near here shoot me a message.

OP
JPeters218
Where you located? Sure someone can help if you’re close by. I have the tools to do it and am I’m SE Pa. if you’re near here shoot me a message.
I’m in northern MN. Thanks for the offer tho

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in northern MN. Thanks for the offer tho

Ok.

Well as far as cost goes, if you take the barreled action and the new barrel to a gunsmith and he charges you more than $50-60 to swap it out and headspace it then IMO you’re getting overcharged. It’s literally that simple for someone with the proper tools and that has done it before.

And if you decide to go thru with buying a barrel to do a swap, don’t hesitate with the Criterion.. they are very good barrels. IMO much better than Shaw. I have a few and have been very pleased with them.

And like mentioned above, give Northland Shooters Supply a call. Very good to deal with. They have Criterion, Shilen, and some factory Savage takeoffs as well. They usually order a huge amount of barrels in various calibers and configurations and keep them in stock, which means if they have what you want then you can have it in a week or so as opposed to 20 weeks. I just bought a 6.5cm with threaded muzzle from them and had it in a week. They also sell trued recoil lugs and barrel nuts, as well as other stuff.

OP
JPeters218
Ok.

Well as far as cost goes, if you take the barreled action and the new barrel to a gunsmith and he charges you more than $50-60 to swap it out and headspace it then IMO you’re getting overcharged. It’s literally that simple for someone with the proper tools and that has done it before.

And if you decide to go thru with buying a barrel to do a swap, don’t hesitate with the Criterion.. they are very good barrels. IMO much better than Shaw. I have a few and have been very pleased with them.
I’ll check them out. I emailed Shaw on Sunday and still haven’t heard back

Good to know on the pricing for the gunsmith