Barrel Twist Rate ... Getting Wrapped Around the Axles

philcox

WKR
I am primarily mule or black tail deer, occasional Elk, and would like to use it if I EVER got a Moose tag. Based on that I want a rifle I can shoot to approx 600-700 if needed, most of my shots seem to be 300-450. I live in California (so lead free is a must). I don't hand load, so factory ammo is what I will be using (and must be able to find). In talking with a few folks I have narrowed it down to 30-06, 7 mm Remington Magnum, or a 280 AI. Of the 3, seemed that the 7mm was the "best fit".

I then started looking at options (I currently shoot a Savage Storm 110, and don't like it much, or it does not like me, not sure which). Narrowed it down to:

Sub $1K
  • Tikka (1:9.5)
  • Browning X-Bolt (1:8)
1-2K
  • Christian Arms Ridgeline or Mesa 1:9
2K+
  • Cooper Arms (Backcountry or Timberline) (I can't find the twist rate or even where I could buy one of these in CA)
  • Proof Research Elevation 1:8
I would like to run the Barnes's 168-grain LRX in it (assuming whatever I get likes it)

This whole barrel twist thing has me frustrated. I wish I had never learned about it, I would have just bought a Tikka and been done with it, but now I have had 2 people, who know a LOT more about rifles and things that matter than I do, both say that I should be looking at a "1:8 or so" twist rate if possible.

I'd like some real world input on the "twist" and affect on the gun I am looking to buy, and my use case.

Thanks,

Phil

Tmac

WKR
Barnes recommends a 1:8 or faster for that bullet. I’d listen to them. I shoot a 145 grain LRX in my 280 with a 1:9, works very well for me to 600, my max range currently.

choovhntr

WKR
I am primarily mule or black tail deer, occasional Elk, and would like to use it if I EVER got a Moose tag. Based on that I want a rifle I can shoot to approx 600-700 if needed, most of my shots seem to be 300-450. I live in California (so lead free is a must). I don't hand load, so factory ammo is what I will be using (and must be able to find). In talking with a few folks I have narrowed it down to 30-06, 7 mm Remington Magnum, or a 280 AI. Of the 3, seemed that the 7mm was the "best fit".

I then started looking at options (I currently shoot a Savage Storm 110, and don't like it much, or it does not like me, not sure which). Narrowed it down to:

Sub $1K
  • Tikka (1:9.5)
1-2K
  • Christian Arms Ridgeline or Mesa 1:9
2K+
  • Cooper Arms (Backcountry or Timberline) (I can't find the twist rate or even where I could buy one of these in CA)
  • Proof Research Elevation 1:8
I would like to run the Barnes's 168-grain LRX in it (assuming whatever I get likes it)

This whole barrel twist thing has me frustrated. I wish I had never learned about it, I would have just bought a Tikka and been done with it, but now I have had 2 people, who know a LOT more about rifles and things that matter than I do, both say that I should be looking at a "1:8 or so" twist rate if possible.

I'd like some real world input on the "twist" and affect on the gun I am looking to buy, and my use case.

Thanks,

Phil

Was at sportsman’s warehouse in Fairfield about a month ago, and they had a couple cooper backcountry rifles there as well as a bunch of Christensen. Not sure what caliber it was because I already own one and wasn’t interested. Just noticed it and thought to myself that it was the first one I’ve seen in a California gun store. I bought mine from scheels Reno and had it transferred.

The mono bullets are longer for weight. The 7mm 168 LRX Is long and needs a 1:8

just get the Tikka and shoot the 145 LRX. Will do everything you want.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Looks like the 139gr LRX are the only factory load I can find. Will have to keep looking.

Buy the Tikka. Buy a new barrel with a faster twist. Have a gunsmith install barrel. Shoot 168gr LRX. If it was not such a hassle I would say you could get @Unknown Munitions to load for you. But alas, California is crap when buying ammunition.

I shoot 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets from my 1:9 twist 7RM. Things die.