Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 wonky chamber

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I put in a call to Barrett but they are out today so I need to call Monday and I will. Just wanted to maybe get some thoughts here in mean time.

I have a 6.5 fieldcraft with 18in threaded barrel, I bought it second hand just before covid hit the states. It had I believe ~40 rds stated by the seller and in last two years I've put about 100 more I would say. There are two things that I have questions about.

The first and most concerning is the chamber is really tight so much so that locking the bolt requires quite a bit of force, and I've noticed that a good amount of the brass cases are getting marred, gouged, scratched or dented. I'm thinking related to this the Fieldcraft is supposed to have a 4+1 round capacity but I can't put more then 3+1 in it or putting the bolt down gets to requiring more force then I'm comfortable putting on live rounds lol. The less rounds I have in the mag the less issue so i.e. single feeding at the range= virtually no marred brass. I guess maybe mistakenly I thought this would smooth out with use but it hasn't gotten any better since I got it, but maybe 100 rounds isn't near enough? Anything I can do at home for this, otherwise resigned that I'll most likely be shipping it to Barrett eventually to get them to work some magic on it?

Second I use a can with it, a Gemtech "The ONE", while I wait for a TBAC ultra. Obviously this is not an ideal can and maybe the issue is can specific I haven't fired another fieldcraft or used it with another can (this issue is not present w/o can). When using the can on every shot there is a very very noticeable "PING" or "TWANG" spring sound. It sounds very much like a buffer tube spring in an AR15. Accuracy is very good, there are no baffle strikes etc. The sound doesn't seem to be affecting anything physically on the rifle but I find it very distracting and loud. It seems to be coming from or at least through the stock as if you are off the gun but standing next the shooter you can't hear it, but if your shooting you can't miss it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with a fieldcraft or even other gun, do you know what it could be or how to fix it?

As for the tight chamber. Are you using brass fired in another chamber and reloading? If that is the case you may need to reset your dies or run the brass through a small base sizer. The sound when firing could be related to barrel being so short. They are usually not as quite when using a shorter end barrel.

My 308 FC is tight with 7.62 surplus ammo no issues with 308 ammo. Have you tried different brands of ammo?

As far as the can sound...is it more noticeable on the 1st shot than the 2nd? May just be the can.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Its all factory rounds, but it is all one brand. Only had to try out 140 and 147 hornady eldm to find something that shoots ~.5moa.

The spring sound is on all shots no difference between 1st rounds or 10th. Its not really the sound of the shot or muzzle blast. Its from like inside the gun itself almost like the whole thing thing turns into a tunning fork with the can attached

I would try some different brand ammo...I have a Rugged radiant on mine and I have no issues...might just be the can or the speed of the 6.5 round. My buddy has 6.5 with a can and its louder than my 308.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lots going on.

- Do the scratches or gouges happen if you slide a round in the chamber and close the bolt? Not magazine feed it.
- have you tried any other ammo? Factory ammo I assume?
- In regards to the ping, you are not shooting off a Harris or Harris style bipod by any chance?
-how is the can mounted

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
the marring to brass really only happens when there is rounds in the magazine. More rounds more force to close the bolt more marring. There is a pretty regular vertical scratch(lengthwise along the case) that starts at the shoulder and goes down the body about 1/8" to 3/16 on the affected brass.

I just went and rechecked a lot of my brass. Most of the damage is occurring lower just above the extractor grove on the wall of the case but also in the extractor groove which I guess would be more of an extractor issue then chamber.

Not on a bipod, but spring/ring/twang sound occurs everytime, off tripod, freehand, bags, sled etc. Can is direct thread.

Post a few pics of the brass also. As stated if you single feed a new factory round into the chamber by hand not from the magazine and then extract it without firing what does the brass look like?