Barrett Fieldcraft Experience

AZmark

WKR
Anyone here have a Barrett Fieldcraft? If so can you share any experiences? Good/bad/how does it shoot/anything you feel like passing on.
Thanks

I have 9 of their rifles and they all shoot well. When a customer can't afford a custom rifle, this is one of the rifles I suggest. All have been good shooting rifles 3 shot groups in the 3/4MOA range and 10-shot groups in the 1.25MOA range. I own a 6mm Creedmore, 25/06, three different model 6.5C's, 6.5-55, 270, 30/06 and a custom Lilja barreled 280ai.

You will not be disappointed IF you can find the one you are looking for as they have are presently on hold for future production runs. 2-3 years is what Barrett reps told me is when they expect to be back to full production at best.

Anvil69

WKR
I have one in 308. It’s very accurate with hand loads and I’m pretty new at that. Took it to south Texas a few weeks ago for a management hunt. 8 does and 2 hogs. 40-225yds head and neck shots no problem. It’s very nice to carry and shoulders quick and easy. Fit and finish are nice,

I have a 6.5CM and while it is my lightest rifle, it's still a tack driver. I was initially concerned with premature rust issues since I had heard that could be a problem with the FC's, but I took it to Kodiak last year on a goat hunt and experienced zero issues with rust. Full disclosure, I wasn't around the salt, and the rifle wasn't subjected to long periods of being wet.

VernAK

WKR
I bought a 6CM and with factory Hornady 108M, the first three shots out of the rifle touched each other. No sense developing a load.....just duplicate that load.

When I got my suppressor, I bought the threaded model and had similar results.

A great little rifle.......I do wish they didn't have that large gap along the bolt as junk collects in the magazine.

The gap along the bolt is due to it being a small bolt which means lighter weight, which is what they are meant to be.

I had a 21” 308 that was picky with lighter Bullets and the stock developed a crack with the heavy load I was testing. They sent me a new 7mm-08 which is great. The first 4 shots were touching. For that light of a rifle I would go smaller caliber unless you go brake/suppressed.

I like the long magazine box on the short action which lets me seat my bullets out to 2.95”. I don’t know what the max OAL is for the long action, does anyone know?

I saw a steal of a deal on a new .243 FC for $1100, at Christmas but waited too long and it was gone. Now I’m kicking myself with this production stoppage.

OP
AZmark

AZmark

WKR
I have 9 of their rifles and they all shoot well. When a customer can't afford a custom rifle, this is one of the rifles I suggest. All have been good shooting rifles 3 shot groups in the 3/4MOA range and 10-shot groups in the 1.25MOA range. I own a 6mm Creedmore, 25/06, three different model 6.5C's, 6.5-55, 270, 30/06 and a custom Lilja barreled 280ai.

You will not be disappointed IF you can find the one you are looking for as they have are presently on hold for future production runs. 2-3 years is what Barrett reps told me is when they expect to be back to full production at best.
Hey DoubleBroom. I have already got a 270 and a 308 in January, but have not had a chance to get them out to the range. The 270 had to go back to the factory with ejection problems but that only took about 4 weeks (not bad imo)

I really wanted a 7mm08 vs the 308 but it has not been available like close to a year. Sounds like you had one rebarreled to 280ai. Who did the barrel job as if I really want the 7mm08 I might have the 308 rebarreled.

Hey DoubleBroom. I have already got a 270 and a 308 in January, but have not had a chance to get them out to the range. The 270 had to go back to the factory with ejection problems but that only took about 4 weeks (not bad imo)

I really wanted a 7mm08 vs the 308 but it has not been available like close to a year. Sounds like you had one rebarreled to 280ai. Who did the barrel job as if I really want the 7mm08 I might have the 308 rebarreled.

When I got the 7-08 from them they said they had stopped making them a while ago and were going to discontinue it. They sent me the last one they had that was a demo rifle from the gun shows.

If you want one I would think you’ll have to rebarrel it.

I have the 18" one in 6.5CM and it's fantastic in every way possible. It really punches above its price, and I have rifles that cost 3x as much as it. Shoots great, handles great, and the way their cut their barrels so they flare out at the end for 5/8-24 threads is amazing. It's the perfect lightweight rifle to throw a lightweight suppressor on, which I did.

Love my 21" 6.5CM. Sub MOA three shot groups with an inexpensive SWFA fixed 6X.

100 yards. If I had better glass and better eyes I suspect the rifle would do even better. Best ammo so far has been 143 ELDM. Federal 140 Accubond was almost as accurate. I feel no need to load ammo with so many fantastic factory loads available.
0.6 MOA.jpg20191205_150835.jpg

Last edited:

I did the work myself. Lilja #2 barrel is within .001" of the factory Long Action Barrett contours. The Lilja #1 is very close to the short action 21" barrels they put on the Fieldcrafts. With that being said I needed to fully bed the action and barrel channel once the new barrel was put on, so even though it is super close it doesn't really matter it needed to be re-bedded.

I left out my 308 on the list of calibers I own as well. It does not shoot like the other short actions though. My favorite factory Fieldcraft was a special run for Lipsey's. They put the 6.5-55 long action barrel (chambered in 6.5C) onto the short action. Very well balanced and a great shooter. I have a 6.5C threaded barrel that I am putting a #2 Lilja on and chambering for 7-08 soon.

OP
AZmark

AZmark

WKR
Doublebroom,
I'm interested in rebarreling my 308 to 7mm08. I've asked Douglas bbls about it and they said they had not done a BF and would have to check into the threading etc. Since you've rebarrelled the Fieldcraft could you answer a few questions for me?
What is the thread on the Fieldcraft? Same as a Remington 700?
If I do rebarrel it I would want a 24" bbl. Would that be a problem in the lightweight #2 bbl?
Do you have a recommendation for barrel brands? (If you rather not comment no problem)
Are your services available for doing this in the near future?
Thanks
Mark

The thread pitch is not even close to a Rem 700. The barrel tenon is almost .250” smaller in diameter on the Fieldcraft.

A Lilja is what barrel I would recommend in a number 2 contour 9” twist for a 7-08. Do you want it in Ackley improved or a standard 7-08. I have both chamber reamers and the barrel in stock.

I built specific tooling to do these Fieldcrafts. I can do these no problem. Are you looking for the complete rebarreling and stock work that will be required? Cerakote prior to bedding? Stock painting? Or just a rebarreling job and you will take care of the for mentioned requirements?

Any reason to not run the 8 twist in the 7-08 to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Old Thread but did anyone restock a fieldcraft? Grey is beautiful and boring at the same time

I have one in .308 and it’s a great rifle. Like many have said they are currently not being produced. Very light and easy to shoulder.

BSeals71

WKR
Just picked up one on GunBroker in 6.5 CM excited to get it setup and shooting. Sounds like the Hornady 143 is the way to go.

Just picked up one on GunBroker in 6.5 CM excited to get it setup and shooting. Sounds like the Hornady 143 is the way to go.

Don’t discount those 127gr. LRX’s, extremely accurate as well as performing outstanding on game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk