Barrett Fieldcraft or Christensen Arms Mesa

OXN939

WKR
So, because I think it could be helpful to anyone considering buying a Mesa, I'm going to keep this thing going. No response to my email sent two business days ago, so I called. The gentleman I spoke to was very polite and cordial, and said "send her in so we can take a look." OK. Optics off, rifle boxed up. Finally got a return email this evening, so she's headed back to Utah. Fingers crossed we can get whatever is going on resolved, because excluding the most important part, the rifle is a really awesome setup. Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 7.56.30 PM.png

Lawnboi

WKR
Has the scope been proven on another gun? I’d be just as suspect of the scope.

Something to consider, could save you some time and money.

Me too, I had my blackpowder rifle out today shooting better groups than the Mesa. Deep cleaned the bore with solvent etc. Removed mounting hardware. Re-lapped scope rings. Reinstalled mounting hardware. Reinstalled scope. Multiple brands of ammo, as stated before. To the dude with the lemon Fieldcraft in the above thread, you are not alone! Haha.
You could try playing with action screw torque specs. Harmonics can do some interesting things, also is it for sure free floated ?

OXN939

WKR
You could try playing with action screw torque specs. Harmonics can do some interesting things, also is it for sure free floated ?

True, but a > $1000 dollar rifle shouldn't have its accuracy degraded to the level of a smoothbore shotgun by a slight change in action screw torque. I basically checked them to the "snug enough" test level to make sure they weren't loose.

If it can't perform reasonably well like that, then I need to get rid of it anyway as that's exactly how they're going to be torqued when I'm in the Alaskan backcountry etc.

rodney482

WKR
Ok, so... had the Mesa out today. This is about an average 100 yard group. Tried five different varieties of factory ammo so far, and all are about the same. Anyone heard of anything like this? Wrote Christensen Arms, still awaiting a reply.

View attachment 120197
Wow thats ugly..... my cheap RAP suppressed still shoots .75.

I was directed by my boys to find and procure FC's in 6.5 CM for them so I found 3 of them (damned if I'll be left behind …), all from different sources and 1 is pre-owned (I took that one) All 3 shoot the Barnes factory to nearly the same groups as being reported by AK, we love how they shoot and carry - will have to wait for hunting reports for a couple of months but I already know they'll perform admirably - One thing I REALLY like is no "first shot cold bore" not in the groups

OXN939

WKR
Wow thats ugly..... my cheap RAP suppressed still shoots .75.

Yep. Did another blackpowder range day today. Better groups than the Mesa. Will report how things go with its trip back to the factory. Apparently, I can expect a turnaround of up to two months... so hopefully, that is just them being conservative. They'll be getting emails and calls asking about its progress well before then.

OXN939

WKR
Hopefully that is the case and you get resolution fast, bummer to be without a new rifle.

Especially with two WY antelope tags in your pocket for which my Mesa setup would be perfect if it worked. Really, I'll stop whining now. Haha.

mcseal2

WKR
You are correct sir, as I found out today.
21” 6.5 CM shooting 143 gr. ELD-X at just a hair under .5 moa, and 127 gr. Barnes Vor-Tex LRX with 1.6”, 3 shot group, at 300 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you shot those over a chronograph yet? I'm interested in getting one of these rifles and was curious what kind of speed the 21" barrel is giving. Thanks.

OXN939

WKR
Have you shot those over a chronograph yet? I'm interested in getting one of these rifles and was curious what kind of speed the 21" barrel is giving. Thanks.

Update! OP, let me know if you'd like your thread back and I can start a new one. Called CA, as the rifle had been with them for double digit days without any kind of communication. The same gentleman I spoke to initially took my call and was, again, extremely polite and helpful. Per him, they shot my gun and encountered the same issue I did (2.5-5 MOA groups). They're going to rebarrel it and send it back my way ASAP.

Told the guy I have a tag I'd like to use it to hunt in three weeks. He said "No sweat, will be back to you well before then." We shall see.

OXN939

WKR
Fresh update. Haven't heard anything in ten days. Called. Apparently, they rebarreled it but have yet to do the cerakote... so, I will not, in fact, have it for my antelope gig. Good thing I prepped a backup instead of trusting the time table they gave me.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks OXN.
I had my brand new Cooper 92 malfunction and all of a sudden start light striking primers 18hrs before my elk hunt this year.
Not impressed to say the least.
On a side note, my LH Mesa in 6.5CM shoots like a dream lol

Benjblt

WKR
Fresh update. Haven't heard anything in ten days. Called. Apparently, they rebarreled it but have yet to do the cerakote... so, I will not, in fact, have it for my antelope gig. Good thing I prepped a backup instead of trusting the time table they gave me.

So how'd things turn out?

So how'd things turn out?

+1, any update OXN939? I'm currently deciding between a Tikka T3X and CA Mesa. Found a Mesa in a local shop for a decent price. Really liked everything about it but a little worried about these accuracy issues I've been reading about. Hope they got it sorted out for you!

renagde

WKR
+1, any update OXN939? I'm currently deciding between a Tikka T3X and CA Mesa. Found a Mesa in a local shop for a decent price. Really liked everything about it but a little worried about these accuracy issues I've been reading about. Hope they got it sorted out for you!

Go with the T3x. Lighter, and the extra money you save can go into optics or a stock upgrade.