Barrett Fieldcraft - to thread or not to thread...

I have bought five CA rifles in the past two years, I'd take a Barrett Fieldcraft any day over a CA. There's nothing wrong with the CAs but they are nothing special either, just a Rem 700 clone with some refinement and improvements.
How many FFT Ridgelines do you have?

BTW, fieldcrafts sold for $1,300 or so new. They are also nothing special, except that they stopped making them. Shoot what gives you confidence to make the shot. Barrett FC, Tikka, whatever floats your boat.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
How many FFT Ridgelines do you have?

BTW, fieldcrafts sold for $1,300 or so new. They are also nothing special, except that they stopped making them. Shoot what gives you confidence to make the shot. Barrett FC, Tikka, whatever floats your boat.
Is the only major improvement of the FFT over the original the lighter stock?

I also do not agree that the stock is better on the CA. The FC stock is more ergonomic IMO.

Better stock
Better bolt
Smoother action
Better accuracy
Better balanced rifle
Threaded 5/8-24

Is this opinion based on shooting with or without a can?

My 18" threaded FC was a bit unbalance until I put the can on then it all made sense. AG makes the FC stock and its great. I also like the drilled and pinned bolt handle better than just a welded one...What is the mag length on a short action CA? 3" on the FC is also really nice for reloading, you can develop a very accurate load.

WRO

WKR
Better stock
Better bolt
Smoother action
Better accuracy
Better balanced rifle
Threaded 5/8-24

I've shot several Christensen rifles over the years, unless they did something completely different with this one, the only advantage is that its threaded.

Every fieldcraft I've shot it sub moa with any ammo you shoot through it, I like the ergonomics and, action is plenty smooth., I'd take a field craft every day of the week and twice on sunday over a Christensen.

The chambers, barrels, and workmanship is heads and shoulders above about any factory or even custom rifle out there.

Last edited:

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Better stock
Better bolt
Smoother action
Better accuracy
Better balanced rifle
Threaded 5/8-24
I have four Ridgelines and one MPR, I have replaced all of the CA stocks with McMillans. CA can't afford to put a $700 stock on a factory rifle and sell for 2k at a profit. The CA stocks are fine but that's really it, nothing special compared to a Manners, McMillan or AG. I wouldn't rush to replace it but they are not for me. They can be hit or miss depending on they day they were made, by who and if the chamber reamer was new or on it's last cut. I like mine and they are all fine but I don't consider them anything special, just a modern update of the Rem 700 which is not a bad thing. I handled some this morning at my local shop, they must have 40 plus on the rack.

Reactions: WRO

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04