Barrett Fieldcraft

Nice shooting. I have the same rifle and loaded up143 ELDX to try in it. Finally got the Vortex LHT I had on backorder. Hopefully I can match your shooting.

Last edited:
Fieldcraft is the most accurate 270 I own at the moment. Half MOA with 150 grain partitions at close to 3100 FPS

I’ve got a new 25/06 that I’m searching for the right Smith to work with on a custom 270 project.

They are great rifles and I wish I would’ve bought more of them when they were available.

6.5x284

WKR
I have one in 6.5 CM that is stupid accurate like everyone else's seems to be. I heard a few of the Forbes were lemons, but I haven't really heard anyone say they regret buying their Fieldcraft. My dad has a Forbes that shoots lights out as well though.

I've owned 2 Forbes one in 270 and the other in 30-06, both were sub Moa guns with factory ammo. As far as fieldcrafts I've owned a couple 😁 but finally have it narrowed down to 2 that I've kept. A 308 18" barrel threaded and a 7mm-08 21"
I really love the 7mm-08, and was able to take this small 8 point this year on some state land in MD, first time I took it hunting and my tag was filled by 7:15
They are well worth the money imho

Attachments

• 20211127_075931.jpg
    20211127_075931.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 42
I've owned 2 Forbes one in 270 and the other in 30-06, both were sub Moa guns with factory ammo. As far as fieldcrafts I've owned a couple 😁 but finally have it narrowed down to 2 that I've kept. A 308 18" barrel threaded and a 7mm-08 21"
I really love the 7mm-08, and was able to take this small 8 point this year on some state land in MD, first time I took it hunting and my tag was filled by 7:15
They are well worth the money imho
Better not sell that one! But you if you do offer it to me first… lol

I was waiting for their rumored release of a 280ai Fieldcraft a few years back when I heard the news they would be "pausing" production. Called Barret and they confirmed and I was lucky to find a used 30-06 at a great price before the news really got out, and the "pause" starting sounding like multi-year hiatus (which now seems more like nevermore!). Its a super accurate rifle. Seems to shoot about any factory load sub moa and I have friends that shoot handloaded 166 hammers under 1/2 inch with it (I couldn't shoot a 1/2 inch group except by luck even if the rifle would put them all through the same hole). Don't think I'd want much more caliber in a 5.4# rifle, its not bad at all but with max loaded 180 partitions its got a little snort and a bit of muzzle rise when on a bench. Kicking myself for not also getting a short action when I could. I like the Fieldcraft so much I'd probably order a NULA if they hadn't raised the price so much recently.

Thanks for the welcome. Also thanks for the replies. I just acquired a 25-06 in a Barrett and am going to start wringing it out. I love the weight of this thing. I also just installed a Trigger Tech trigger in mine as I absolutely love those triggers. I am going to load 100 gr, ttsx and see what she will do.
at one point, i was really trying to find a rifle in a configuration i liked in 257wby, i came really close to settling on the fieldcraft in 25-06 and should have, that's a really cool rifle. perfect for a lot of things