Barrett Fieldcraft

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
The Barrett Fieldcraft seems to a highly regarded rifle. I haven’t been able to get my hands on one in person. The specs look good from what I’ve seen online and the 18” barrel interests me.

My question is are they worth the price the used ones seem to be going for? I’ve been watching some go for $2000+. I understand it’s worth it some people and not to others. What makes this rifle worth the used prices in your opinion? Lack of availability?

They are a pretty nice “factory” rifle. Nothing magical about them though.
When I was in the market for a lw sheep rifle, I let a buddy talk me into the Kimber over the BF. Hindsight says that was a mistake. Mostly because I just don’t like the Mod 70 style wing safety (I’m more a Rem 700 style guy).
Main reason they going so high is that they will not be made anymore. So the price you may give for one will just be a personal choice whether it’s worth it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5x284

WKR
I have one along with many high end custom rifles and match rifles. It’s up there with my most accurate rifle. I got mine for $1489 during a Black Friday event. I would pay $2500 for it knowing how good my sample of 1 is today. Over that I think I would look at other options. But it really is a phenomenal rifle. Mine is beat to shit and prints a clover leaf with any ammo. Their short action is the star in my opinion. Super long mag box for any bullet with great twist rates. If the long action mag box was longer I’d buy one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Everything about that rifle was done right.

The handful I've been around have all been very accurate.

Only thing that kept me from buying/keeping several were the ergos. I know this is a personal thing, but they felt awful to me. I didn't like the stock at all. 2 people I hunt/shoot with went through the same thing. I'd try to handle one before you drop the crazy money on one right now.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I had one of the 308s with full size/non threaded barrel. First two shots would always touch, 3rd would be 3/4 inch to the side. The rifle felt like just holding a stock....had no balance at all. Also had a very finicky chamber....some rounds the bolt would be tough to close, then the brass and bullet would be all scratched up once ejected. Bolt felt flimsy and thin. I was not a fan, and sent it down the road. IMO you would be much better off buying an early (jeweled bolt) Forbes 24B if you can find one.

If I had $2-3k and wanted a light mountain rifle I would look at a Proof Elevation.

I have a 18" threaded in 308..like it a lot, without a can it did feel out a balance..once I put a can on it the balance is perfect and it's really fun to shoot. It's the only rifle I carry anymore.

z987k

WKR
They are great rifles. I love my short barreled one.
Both the short and long barrel don't balance well. Unless you put a can on it. Which was the whole idea of the rifle.

Are they worth $2.5-3.5k? No.
I paid $1400 for mine and for that it's the best rifle I own. Best rifle you can buy at the $1800msrp as well and ideally you'd be paying less than that.

For what they're going for on gunbroker I'd look at a real Forbes if you were going to spend that much.
You could also probably go full custome pierce Ti action for about what a fieldcraft brings on GB.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
I looked hard at the Fieldcraft and nearly bought one. I held off because a quarter of the reviews weren't very positive and I saw a few get recycled on here and snipers hide for a loss each time. The action didn't exactly make me fall in love with it either. Instead I bought a Kimber and had a slew of other problems to deal with. Now I'd rather build my own and get what I want.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I've had a Fieldcraft in .308 for maybe 4 years now. It is one of the few rifles that I purchased new and I paid the $1799 sticker minus a Kimber I traded in. Straight out of the box accuracy was sub moa with Hornady ELDX and Barnes TTSX. With the bare rifle just over 5 pounds I'm able to get away with a little more optic and still be under 6.5lbs dressed out. Those two things are why I paid the price.

Compared to other rifles I have (and have had) the Fieldcraft has been less picky about which ammo it likes. I've shot a little bit of everything through it and I don't remember anything that wouldn't work in a pinch. I like the Barnes and the Hornady's for out west so that's what makes the cut. One note though, with a cold bore mine is dead on, but a cold clean bore it will throw the first 1 maybe 2 shots. When I make the last trip to the range before the season it's usually for just a 3 shot group to confirm and then take it to the field without cleaning.

Mine has been a widowmaker. Would I pay $2k for the one I have, absolutely. But it would be hard for me to pay the current market price for one just on faith alone.

I bought my Fieldcraft 30-06 for somewhere around $1400 or less in 2018. Can't remember exactly. After a goat, a sheep, and a wolf, I wouldn't sell it for double. I love the rifle.

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 24” 6.5 CM Fieldcraft as my primary rifle in the lower 48. The simplicity and quality are the main reasons I like it so much. It’s very light but everything about it feels sturdy and my first group with it was sub .5.

CoStick

WKR
They are unreal. I owned numerous and stayed with my .270 win. One to do it all in the 50. I did have the stock shortend, was a bit long for me. makes me look like i practice regularly.

z987k

WKR
I bought my Fieldcraft 30-06 for somewhere around $1400 or less in 2018. Can't remember exactly. After a goat, a sheep, and a wolf, I wouldn't sell it for double. I love the rifle.
Ya no way I'd sell mine.

I'm honestly surprised no one has stepped up to fill the void left by them not making it. You probably couldn't make enough of them.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
Ya no way I'd sell mine.

I'm honestly surprised no one has stepped up to fill the void left by them not making it. You probably couldn't make enough of them.

The man that designed the Fieldcraft is still selling the original everyday.

😉

z987k

WKR
They also can’t put the 5/8 threading on the 1 and 2 contours unfortunately.
That is one thing the fieldcraft has, is the bell at the end that's just part of the barrel to give it 5/8 threads. I've not seen any barrel manufacturers or factory rifle do that.

They wanted to focus on their military sales
They said after they fulfilled the contract they won, reason for suspending production, they will probably make them again but not for that price...they have done all the R&D, AG makes the stocks,I think eventually they make them again but they will probably be in the $2500-$2800 range.