Barrett owners, help!! POI shift.....

EastMT

WKR
Can’t we go back to arguing about 10mm and 44? Or complaining about people asking about their lottery permit win they know nothing about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Less than gentleman introduction?? What does that even mean. I said that one of this forums hero’s I guess was wrong after he said it to another fourm member first. Am I missing something here? I was just backing up what Hodgeman started. Is he also wrong for doubting this “forms” opinion? I pointed out I didn’t believe he shot or was involved with others shooting 70K rounds of ammo in 24 days.

I’ve sold four different rifles to RokSlide members BTW. Both are repeat customers.

I have zero interest in doing any kind of head to head testing of my rifles with any other fourm member. I certainly have enough business and happy with my word of mouth advertising from happy customers. My main clients are for the most part hardcore Alaskan sheep hunters with many years of experience in the mtns. I combined what truly works for Mtn rifles and a scientific based practical side of rifle precision. Staying away from the gimmicks and fads that are so referred to throughout this fourm. When customers bring me this nonsense it is quickly put to rest with what is practical and realistic and what truly works for mountain rifles. Not what is going to put money into a rifle builders pockets.

Well busy is good. I can't argue with that.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it was Form or any other CONTRIBUTING member - when you just breeze in and start calling people liars it makes me raise my eyebrows. I could just as easily doubt that you own 6 field crafts and 4 CA mesas, all the while building countless customs. I completely understand that some guys just buy a lot of rifles, though. Cool.

It definitely takes awhile to figure out how rokslide works but I think you should read randy's post above again. I look forward to your future CONTRIBUTIONS.

In my experience “vertical stringing” is caused by too much pressure on the stock (sandbag, rest, etc...) causing it to contact the barrel.

You can try removing stock material - a broomstick handle wrapped in sandpaper makes it pretty easy. Although I’d ONLY do this if you’re absolutely sure that you’ve identified the spot where it’s contacting the barrel.

I used to shoot both benchrest and hi power and have fixed several of my rifles that would vertical string shot groups by doing this. Good luck!

tdhanses

WKR
My Fieldcraft definitely opens up when it gets hot- that's pretty typical of full length bedded rifles with thin contour barrels.

I have to shoot mine very slowly and avoid heating the barrel or I don't get best accuracy. When I take my time, groups are generally one ragged hole.

I wouldn’t say this is correct, my Forbes is full length bedded and has zero point change from cold to hot. I never get it super hot but nothing like the OP posted. Cold bore to 5 shot group should effect it.

- - - Updated - - -

So... what are you saying- you aren’t lining up for a double Broomed mountain rifle? He’s not selling himself real well is he?

Yeah I wouldn’t buy from him if his rifles are that consistent at a poi shift.

- - - Updated - - -

So let me get this straight. You have to peddle a bunch of BS in a number of posts before you have street cred on this site? If you believe a fourm has shot 70K rounds in 24 days you are blindly following someone who throws wild numbers and “facts” at you. But by all means if you want to believe his posts go for it. I’ve read previous posts by this fourm member and don’t agree with half of what he states.

Juan, I honestly don’t need anymore business. I have plenty of it and most are repeat customers.

I just wanted to put my two cents out there to the original poster; of the 6 factory Fieldcrafts and 2 Lilja rebarreled Fieldcrafts that I personally own that cold bore flyers are a perfectly normal occurrence and that his particular rifle might be tad excessive? A cold bore “flyer” is much different then a rifle randomly sending “flyers” downrange. Are you all telling me that those eight rifles have bad bedding jobs/barrels or have been faulty put together by either Barrett or myself? Or my shooting abilities at the bench somehow drastically change from the first cold round shot to the subsequent 3,5,10 or 20 rnd group?

I need to have a number of posts before I can relate my personal observations with rifles that I own? Let me know what that number is and I’ll keep my opinions to myself till then. The fourm member “Hodgmen” made a similar observation with his Fieldcraft and this “formulations” tells him he is false in his observations. I merely countered him and then he throws wild numbers, pics, figures etc. I pointed out that I simply don’t believe his numbers of rounds he’s claimed to have put downrange 24days (or he’s been “involved” with whatever that means) and broke it down by minutes on his figures. When you exaggerate one set of figures, it tends to follow suit with others in your arguments.

Nope but did you ever wonder what he does and maybe he isn’t the one pulling the trigger?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually my last post states that I know he was not the only one involved in those so called tests or whatever he referred to them as. But its still a exaggerated claim that 70K rounds were fired by him or 5-6 others. Was he doing the vast amount or on the other spectrum just observation. Those differences make a big deal on someone’s credibility/experience there Luke.

Can I count all the rounds that I watch soliders shoot at Ft Wainwright on the KD courses during my normal range control duties on my 9-5 job as “experience”? Of course I can’t.

My entire point of my original posts was his observations were false. Hodgeman had similar results as I do with my Fieldcrafts. I’ve read his posts in the past, on other forums, he’s a local Alaskan and I know he has some credibility.

What makes this Form guy the end all know it it all on this fourm? Hodgeman and I’ve (and the original poster as well) all have had 100 percent similarity in our cold bore shooting with Fieldcrafts. Are we all just not at that level to know what we are talking about? I’ve been doing this for 27 years. Been building rifles for 20. Own 6 of these factory Barrett rifles and 2 rebarreled Fieldcrafts not to mention the 100 plus light contoured hunting rifles (both custom and factory rifles) I own.

Ok so you as a builder have more shooting 5 shot groups then shipping a rifle then a guy who’s living is testing rifles? Yes he may not personally shoot each shot but an observer surely can document and gain knowledge. Would you say this to the Military snipers trainers?

- - - Updated - - -

Less than gentleman introduction?? What does that even mean. I said that one of this forums hero’s I guess was wrong after he said it to another fourm member first. Am I missing something here? I was just backing up what Hodgeman started. Is he also wrong for doubting this “forms” opinion? I pointed out I didn’t believe he shot or was involved with others shooting 70K rounds of ammo in 24 days.

I’ve sold four different rifles to RokSlide members BTW. Both are repeat customers.

I have zero interest in doing any kind of head to head testing of my rifles with any other fourm member. I certainly have enough business and happy with my word of mouth advertising from happy customers. My main clients are for the most part hardcore Alaskan sheep hunters with many years of experience in the mtns. I combined what truly works for Mtn rifles and a scientific based practical side of rifle precision. Staying away from the gimmicks and fads that are so referred to throughout this fourm. When customers bring me this nonsense it is quickly put to rest with what is practical and realistic and what truly works for mountain rifles. Not what is going to put money into a rifle builders pockets.

So why are you here if this forum is mainly gimmicks? Form is not a hero here at all, but he does have experience what do you have but a few posts and an odd way of coming to a form expecting to be taken as a rockstar. It’s really weird is all, maybe get to know the forum and people before expecting anyone to think your credible, this isn’t 24hr.

As other have posted a poi change isn’t normal and I have very little experience but my Forbes factory rifle doesn’t do it and my custom doesn’t either. Now considering my Forbes has a #0 contour barrel I’m not sure you can get much more pencil thin.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t say this is correct, my Forbes is full length bedded and has zero point change from cold to hot. I never get it super hot but nothing like the OP posted. Cold bore to 5 shot group should effect it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I wouldn’t buy from him if his rifles are that consistent at a poi shift.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope but did you ever wonder what he does and maybe he isn’t the one pulling the trigger?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so you as a builder have more shooting 5 shot groups then shipping a rifle then a guy who’s living is testing rifles? Yes he may not personally shoot each shot but an observer surely can document and gain knowledge. Would you say this to the Military snipers trainers?

- - - Updated - - -

So why are you here if this forum is mainly gimmicks? Form is not a hero here at all, but he does have experience what do you have but a few posts and an odd way of coming to a form expecting to be taken as a rockstar. It’s really weird is all, maybe get to know the forum and people before expecting anyone to think your credible, this isn’t 24hr.

As other have posted a poi change isn’t normal and I have very little experience but my Forbes factory rifle doesn’t do it and my custom doesn’t either. Now considering my Forbes has a #0 contour barrel I’m not sure you can get much more pencil thin.
What's the purpose of a bull barrel or even carbon fiber barrel if it isn't needed to help keep the barrel cool? Every one would just shoot a 0

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thermal expansion coefficient of metal is a linear equation. Off the top of my head it's like just under 1 millionth of an inch growth per 1 degree increase in temperature.

Cold bore theory is that the rifle throws a shot and then all subsequent shots groups under normal conditions.

By the definition of cold bore the phenomena is repeatable.. therefore 10 shots of cold bore should be measurably smaller then 10 shots taken when barrel temperature is significantly higher then ambient air temperature.

I'll save you twenty rounds of testing. There's no difference.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I combined what truly works for Mtn rifles and a scientific based practical side of rifle precision. Staying away from the gimmicks and fads that are so referred to throughout this fourm. When customers bring me this nonsense it is quickly put to rest with what is practical and realistic and what truly works for mountain rifles. Not what is going to put money into a rifle builders pockets.

So what truly works and why?

This does not look like a POI shift - it looks like “vertical stringing”.

I’m sure Barrett will work it out - but my experience with vertical stringing is that the barrel is contacting the forend while shooting.

Additional bedding compound to raise the action in the stock - or removing material in the barrel channel would likely fix it.

Good luck OP!

204guy

WKR
I swear gunsmiths and taxidermists attend conference's on how to run a business into the ground.
Topics covered- timelines and why they're not important, not keeping promises, shady ethics, general douchyness, why you're smarter than the customer and you're always right. geesh.

tdhanses

WKR
What's the purpose of a bull barrel or even carbon fiber barrel if it isn't needed to help keep the barrel cool? Every one would just shoot a 0

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Stiffer barrel which will have less whip then a thin barrel, carbon allows for a stiff barrel with less weight. Yes some sell it transfer heat better etc but none of us here are shooting 100rds one after another.

Also they look way better 😀

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
It is entirely possible to disagree with someone and present counter-points without calling them a liar. This isn't the place for that.

Happy to report that my new Barrett has no POI shift from clean cold bore to hot. Shot 20 rounds yesterday without much of a break and the groups never went over an inch with 143gr ELD-X and Barnes 127gr Vor-tx LR. Absolutely love this gun!

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Fling,. That's good news! I'm going to shoot one last time this week before sending it in. I plan on shooting 2, 10 shot groups, both starting with a true cold barrel. I'll send the targets back to Barrett with the rifle.

As I stated earlier, I found it interesting that the forend of my stock separates slightly from the barrel while hot. I have zero experience with fully bedded stocks, but to me that screams stress. I'll be curious to see what they have to say. Kinda wish I went with the 6.5 with all the great reviews ..... Oh well.

BigSky

WKR
Well, I read the entire thread, initially to see what the problem was and what the end result was, only to come to the end so I could post the following: Wow. Just wow.

Formidilous sorry for the disrespecting comments. It was a long week traveling across the country and stressful with family. I read through a lot of your posts on different subjects and there is a lot I agree with you on testing rifles. One being the 10 and 20 round groups for testing the effectiveness of an advertised rifle and its potential.

I’ve just found over the years a bit of variation when throwing my cold bore shot into the group. I guess it’s one of those agree to disagree. But again sorry for being a jerk. Happy new year.