Barrier of entry to Sheep hunting

Been lurking for a while, been out west a handful of times (east coast dweller).

Watched Eastmans Stone Sheep hunt (the old one) a few years back and it really gave me the sickness.

My question, is the cost to entry going to be $20k plus to even fathom sheep hunting?
Not being wealthy I feel like that will be a 10 year barrier to entry.

Question, is that really the case? Pay to play?

Seems like moving to AK or Canada would be the only feasible way to side step the cost. Or maybe invest in a really good set of knee pads and chapstick?

Obviously looking for some input to get started. Any and all info would be helpful.

Much appreciated,

David

Sled

WKR
A tag in most states is the barrier. Can't even hunt the damn things in my home state, Louisiana. Stinky, noisy and just annoying is what they are.

ljalberta

WKR
Montana Unlimited of you truly want to hunt sheep. You can do it every year.

You won't kill one, or probably even see one, but you will get to hunt them!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
This is the way. A killer thread on Randy Newbergs site about the unlimiteds is a good place to start looking.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the move to Alaska route.
Dexter and I have taken the same approach. After taking a long look at it, I’m not sure that it is all that much cheaper to move here and hunt. Yes, as a resident you don’t have to pay $25k to get out there, but once you factor in all the costs associated with moving, buying all the toys that Alaskan hunting requires, learning the rules/animals/areas, etc. not to mention the seasons spent learning. On top of all of that, while you are paying your dues and learning the ropes up here, you are missing out on the hunting that you had wherever you moved from.

I guess my point is that if a guy stayed in the lower 48 and put that much effort and money into saving for a guided hunt, he would probably get that head on the wall sooner than if he moved up here.

But if hunting sheep is more important to you than killing a sheep, then move on up. But overall, it is much easier to come up with $25k for a guided hunt.

For a guy wanting to hunt sheep, the Montana unlimiteds are a great option, but must guys aren’t interested in expending all that effort to hunt sheep unless they have a decent chance to kill a sheep.

OP
Bluegrassvw
Dexter and I have taken the same approach. After taking a long look at it, I’m not sure that it is all that much cheaper to move here and hunt. Yes, as a resident you don’t have to pay $25k to get out there, but once you factor in all the costs associated with moving, buying all the toys that Alaskan hunting requires, learning the rules/animals/areas, etc. not to mention the seasons spent learning. On top of all of that, while you are paying your dues and learning the ropes up here, you are missing out on the hunting that you had wherever you moved from.

I guess my point is that if a guy stayed in the lower 48 and put that much effort and money into saving for a guided hunt, he would probably get that head on the wall sooner than if he moved up here.

But if hunting sheep is more important to you than killing a sheep, then move on up. But overall, it is much easier to come up with $25k for a guided hunt.

For a guy wanting to hunt sheep, the Montana unlimiteds are a great option, but must guys aren’t interested in expending all that effort to hunt sheep unless they have a decent chance to kill a sheep.
Fair

mule man

Lil-Rokslider
The price is skyrocketing. Looked into it this year. Dall is near $30,000 with fly in fees, and Stone is over $40,000. Hunting is turning into the kings and peasants. Elk and Mule deer tags are going for over 10K in many states. You wait years now out west for the basic tags. It will not be getting better. Discouraging to say the least.

Short but honest answer: A very fat bank account will solve all of your problems in the future. New Zealand, Alaska, Canada, South America, and Africa - Nothing is getting cheaper, easier to draw or book, or less crowded. Best of luck!

Reactions: WRM
The price is skyrocketing. Looked into it this year. Dall is near $30,000 with fly in fees, and Stone is over $40,000. Hunting is turning into the kings and peasants. Elk and Mule deer tags are going for over 10K in many states. You wait years now out west for the basic tags. It will not be getting better. Discouraging to say the least.
If you find a Stone Sheep hunt for $40k book it now 😀 (or watch out for a scam). Most are 50-75k now

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My story goes lis this- I've been putting in for sheep in my home state (Montana) for 30+ years and still haven't drawn a bighorn permit. Sadly there is a chance I never do :(

My wife came to my rescue. I was viewing an episode of Fresh Tracks where Randy went on a guided hunt for Dall sheep. I told her just once in my lifetime I'd like to hunt sheep. Bless her heart, she said well just do it. I didn't give her an opportunity to change her mind and after several phone calls, perusing websites and chatting with folks from this forum- I booked a hunt for August of 23.

Not cheap, but it's something I've always wanted to do and now looks like I'm going to have an opportunity :)

yfarm

WKR
Private West Texas ranch for aodad, best bang for the buck. Son drew a public land tag in NM one year and killed a 32 after 6 days of hard hunting.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
As folks have said above, if you want to hunt sheep, the unlimiteds will be your cheapest route. I’d suggest buying yourself an outfitted west Texas aoudad hunt. Tell the outfitter that you want it to be as physically demanding as possible just so you get a taste of what you think you want. If you like it after that, go the New Zealand route or go to Asia. There are still pretty good deals (comparatively speaking) on mountain hunts across much of Asia. Look into mid-Asian ibex, Dagestan tur or any of the Spanish “ibex” hunts. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Reactions: WRM

BLJ

WKR
Not trying to derail, but any idea on price (ballpark) for an aodad hunt?