Barriers or worries related to hunting

Went down the rabbit hole of reading some random threads on wildlife, land, and permit management in the west that get people worked up (y’all really don’t like predators) or worried about this passion.

It got me thinking what concerns me about long term trends where I hunt, which is northern MN and WI.

Luckily we have plenty of public land so access to the outdoors doesn’t usually cross my mind. I lived in Lousisiana for a year, and the thought of paying someone a lease to hunt ratty little southern whitetails in pine plantings seemed incomprehensible. Have had lots of coworkers in TX to talk deer hunting with… what an odd, high fenced world.

By and large, the DNR in both states seem reasonable with policies.

We have wolves, and it’s never bothered me… my guess is any cap predation has on deer populations here has been offset by milder and milder winters, and the whole Mother Nature thing is part of the appeal of being out there. My opinion, realize I am asking to be flamed, please be nice.

My biggest concerns are:

For deer…CWD, CWD, and CWD. I don’t see positive endgame.

My favorite ruffed grouse… lack of consistant snow depth due to milder winters (they need it) and West Nile virus. Potentially forest management at some point, with a trend towards red pine plantings reducing forest diversity.

Pheasants will probably never be that great here again due to habitat loss.

Moose don’t seem to like ticks, whitetail delivered brain worm, or our warmer and warmer summers. I doubt I will see a moose hunt happen again in my lifetime in MN.

It would have been cool to see the tiny elk herd in NW MN expanded. Unfortunately the ever powerful NW sugar beet lobby had them legislated a nuisance animal to be limited by statute.

Pheasants will always be lame due to long term habitat loss.

I have no worries about gobblers other than crowded woods early season. They are thriving well north of their historical range…the lack of snow depth that is hurting my grouse helps them out during winter.

Mosby

WKR
I am a big believer in focusing on things I can control and pretty much ignoring what I can not. There are so many daily issues to resolve and deal with, I am not volunteering to add more to the list. You can not impact or change those things on your list, even if you wanted to and nothing can or will be accomplished by discussing or dwelling on them. There are a number of organizations that support wildlife and hunting like RMEF, NWTF, Pheasants and Quail Forever etc., and my recommendation is to support them and their mission and let them do all the thinking.

southLA

WKR
"I lived in Louisiana for a year, and the thought of paying someone a lease to hunt ratty little southern whitetails in pine plantings seemed incomprehensible."

Same here brother!

I have seen entire healthy mule deer populations completely disappear in the last ~15 years. The pheasant/quail populations that I grew up with, the same. I am now watching a local whitetail population drastically decrease every year. Driving all of this is habitat loss due to ag development. For my home state, habitat loss in the future is my greatest concern. Populations can recover after disease (ehd), bad weather (hail storm that wipes out a pheasant crop), over hunting, but not if there is no longer suitable habitat to support them. I can't control the weather or disease, so I try not to worry about those.