bars that taste good AND withstand heat

Maverick1

WKR
A few of my friends like Quest bars. Chocolate chip cookie dough.

When I unwrap one of these “nutrition” bars I imagine an extruder mechanism squirting them out into a high speed conveyor belt.

2muchhp

WKR
I learned one thing the hard way. If your out for several days with three buddies , don't volunteer to carry the trail mix. Those nuts, m&ms , rasins etc. are heavy.

seww

WKR
I know some homemade ones that will give you plenty of calories and can take heat and cold:

Mix equal part of syrup, sugar and cream in a pot.
Boil on medium temp as you stir. The longer the boil, the harder the bars get, so it's a matter of trial and error here what you would prefer.
Once that's done, you can mix in nuts, oatmeal, dates, whatever. I only mix in Oatmeal because that's what I like.
Then spread it out and let cool and harden.
Cut into whatever size you'd like and wrap in paper or plastic wrap.

There was a long-time runner, not distance but time. They compete in how far one can run in 24 hours... He completed a 24-hr race in China only eating these. They're cheap, tons of calories, and quite tasty.

matthewmt

WKR
Wilderness Athlete pack out bars and pack out bites are both good, lots of peanut butter chocolate chip PRO bars, bobos are good. Can be a tad dry but they have filled muffin bites too.
Honey stingers like vanilla with maple brown sugar almond butter is quite the treat too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I like the nut butter filled Cliff bars. Not as sweet as the normal cliffs and I find they stick with me much better
These have been a go to for me also. Bobo are great also and sold at my local grocery store.

L&L cookie with a packet of Peanut butter is a solid breakfast option for me also. I’m a big fan of the Snickerdoodle cookie!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Rise bars Almond honey on Amazon. Healthy, 200 or so cals and taste is good. They sit in my hot truck and don’t melt. Big Sur bars are my favorite right now but more of a meal replacement, super dense and Amazing taste!

fatlander

WKR
Reading this thread really solidifies how different everyone’s tastes are, there’s some bars mentioned on here that are like eating bricks of protein powder to me.

During the summer heat, I’m a trail mix with m&m’s and fresh fruit kind of guy. Not packing a ton of weight because it’s summer and I’m not hunting, so carrying apples, pears and oranges doesn’t really bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
quick update- Bobo bars I've crossed off the list, they taste OK, but are dry- more something I'd have with a cup of coffee vs eating on the move

the blueberry KIND bars taste pretty good, but they are awfully sticky- especially in the heat; I think they will get the axe; they make a coconut/almond I'm going to try in the heat and see how they do

I accidentally left one of their (KIND) chocolate bars in a pack pocket recently, only to discover it a couple of hours into a hike (in the heat/sun)- that thing was a terrible mess!!!!!!!

I'm going to grab a couple of Cliff nut butter bars (ones without chocolate). I used to eat them exclusively for awhile, but got burnt out on them- that was 5-ish years ago, so will give them another go.

The Costco Keto Crisps have officially made the list.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to make another Costco run, I'll check those out

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well some beta from my recent Sierra trip- the Costco keto crunch bars did well, the one with the chocolate chips melted a bit (the actual chips that is); the KIND bars without chocolate did well too.

By the time fall rolls around, I should be back to my very favorites- KIND bars w/ chocolate :)

On a side note, my wife finds the keto crunch bars better than the KIND bars, so we'll continue to stock them!