bars that taste good AND withstand heat

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to get a box of the Keto Crisps and tried one this afternoon- I'd give it a solid B and appears they should do fine in the heat :)

Bobo's on the way and also got a box of blueberry almond KIND bars too- no chocolate in them, we'll see

Kirkland bars aren’t bad or Lenny and Larrys cookies are good as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kirkland bars aren’t bad or Lenny and Larrys cookies are good as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed- I've been doing L&L cookies for breakfasts for a couple of years; my buddy told me about them. A "supped up" cup of coffee and a L&L cookie is about a 1000 easy calories :)

Haven't tried the Kirkland bars though.

ShakeDown

WKR
I like Probars, or Big Sur bars if you’re going for a calorie dense bar.

Trader Joe’s has a lot of good house brand bars.

P Carter

WKR
I was able to get a box of the Keto Crisps and tried one this afternoon- I'd give it a solid B and appears they should do fine in the heat :)

Bobo's on the way and also got a box of blueberry almond KIND bars too- no chocolate in them, we'll see
May want to check out the maple glazed kind bars, also. Those are my go to.

Randle

WKR
I like my homemade trail mix with jerky chunks, m&ms, almonds, raisins, sunflowers seeds, and cashews.

Probars……one of the best calorie/ounce bars on the market, taste great and don’t melt in the heat. It’s the only bar I’ll take. Bobos are great in the heat but can be a difficult chew in freezing temps. I love Stingers but find they are so fragile that packing them to where they won’t get crumbled is difficult.

Ddog

WKR
Nature Valley Sweet n Salty. Had a few in my pack during last deer season and this turkey season when we got some freakishly high temps and they were fine.

tciprick

FNG
I tend to throw carb-killa bars in my pack. Get them from a supplement store, a bit pricey but they taste so good. Haven't had one melt yet, granted in hunting season where I am it doesn't really ever get hotter than 20°C

Every year I try a couple different new bars through the summer. Looking for something that handles heat, doesn’t break a tooth coming out of the freezer, relatively healthy, decent calorie:weight ratio and tastes good enough to eat even when not in the backcountry. Always looking for a new option but also seem to always pack ProBars when it‘s go time.
Also make my own trail mix and go light or skip the chocolate in the heat.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure why they work so good for me but Nibiscos belVitas with your choice of nut spread- oh man. You get to keep the chocolate/spread with out worrying about the melt and those belvitas just work for me in any flavor. Keep me going. Just have to keep them from breaking/crumbling too much. 2 packages but not that big a deal. I like it so much I only allow myself to indulge when I'm in the backcountry.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Nature Valley Biscuits with Almond Butter (can get a large box at Costco) are good. Not a bar, but can add some nice variety.

*zap*

WKR
How long is the best use by/expiration date on the probars? The greenbelly meal replacement bar is about 12 months...and is it the meal replacement probar that you guys are using?

Thanks.

How long is the best use by/expiration date on the probars? The greenbelly meal replacement bar is about 12 months...and is it the meal replacement probar that you guys are using?

Thanks.
Greenbellys are good waay past a year...at least they don't bother me. I like the WA packout bars...they will take a beating but it's hard to find them in stock.

Thanks.
Yes, I am referring to the meal replacement bar from ProBar, good clarification. I believe they keep for about a year. I know I have held some in storage for over 8 months without any degradation. Either stored in a temp stable closet at approximately 68 degrees or in the fridge. There is one left in a baggie in the back of my fridge right now with an expiration date of June 2022 and I know I purchased it in September 2021.
The ones I bought in May of 2021 I carried for 10 hot days in late August and all held up well.