Bartlein 2b

J23

FNG
Does anyone have any photos that could help me decide if the 2b contour would be for me, preferably a 26" tube?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new 6.5mm barrel to screw onto an Interarms Mark X action for my 264WM build. I am putting it together to use as my dedicated 'do-all' western states rifle, starting with this October if, Lord willing, I draw for Pronghorn tomorrow.

I am shooting for around 9lbs scoped (Leupold 3.5-10x40CDS and Talleys), with the factory Interarms Walnut stock, pillar bedded, until I can save up, and of course, wait for for a new McWoody.

Without handling a rifle with the 2b, it is hard to make the call, but I am concerned that the 2b may be a little too heavy, but it is the lightest contour I can find in stock right now, and I need to get this project moving.

Everyone who has one seems to like the contour, I am just concerned about weight. I don't want an overly heavy rifle, nor do I want a muzzle heavy balance.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
2B is like a heavy sporter profile falling between sporter and varmint. Here's a link
dd8b925ab187b25319a86ef5c48f6e6b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 26 inch Brux #3 on my 264 win. M70 action in a mcwoody. Pretty close to the same contour as a bart 2b. Think it’s right around 9 lbs scoped.

The Bartlein 2b is almost like most other custom barrel #3 contours. But its an awesome contour and probably my favorite. I've done 3 builds with it - 2 7MM-08's and one .243. All where finished @ 22.5" and the balance was spot in with McMillan Edge stocks. Not sure I'd want to go 26" and would agree depending on stock/scope it could be pretty muzzle heavy or just not balance well, also not sure you could get a full 26" out of the blank?? Can't recall right now how long they come from Bart??

Does anyone have any photos that could help me decide if the 2b contour would be for me, preferably a 26" tube?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new 6.5mm barrel to screw onto an Interarms Mark X action for my 264WM build. I am putting it together to use as my dedicated 'do-all' western states rifle, starting with this October if, Lord willing, I draw for Pronghorn tomorrow.

I am shooting for around 9lbs scoped (Leupold 3.5-10x40CDS and Talleys), with the factory Interarms Walnut stock, pillar bedded, until I can save up, and of course, wait for for a new McWoody.

Without handling a rifle with the 2b, it is hard to make the call, but I am concerned that the 2b may be a little too heavy, but it is the lightest contour I can find in stock right now, and I need to get this project moving.

Everyone who has one seems to like the contour, I am just concerned about weight. I don't want an overly heavy rifle, nor do I want a muzzle heavy balance.
I wouldn't go lighter personally unless you're packing it into the backcountry, which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing.
If you want lighter and great handling then I'd suggest going with a 22" barrel, you won't lose anything performance wise inside 600 yards

I would consider a 2b a pretty standard sporter contour. The only place it seems a bit heavier than a factory sporter barrel is the shank is a bit longer but a smith can shorten that up for you.

Sorry not great pictures but maybe its helpful?? Here is a picture of a standard Remington factory sporter on the left, Bart 2b in the middle and a Brux #3 on the right. The 2b is kinda chunky towards the middle part of the barrel and then tapers to what most other companies call a #3 contour. FYI, all barrels finished @ 22.5". Its really a unique contour but IMHO great for a lighter weight hunting build if you keep it at a reasonable finished length. Otherwise you may end up with rifle that doesn't balance great - believe me I made that mistake before ;)

OP
J

J23

FNG
Thanks for all of the replies, and especially the photos. It appears that when compared to the Remington contour, the 2b is thicker in the shank, but appears to be thinner as it tapers to the muzzle. ...or am I mistaken?

In regards to the barrel length, I'd like to keep it at 26", to maximize velocity out of the 264WM. A 24" barrel will likely drop the performance to that of a 270 running 140s.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies, and especially the photos. It appears that when compared to the Remington contour, the 2b is thicker in the shank, but appears to be thinner as it tapers to the muzzle. ...or am I mistaken?

In regards to the barrel length, I'd like to keep it at 26", to maximize velocity out of the 264WM. A 24" barrel will likely drop the performance to that of a 270 running 140s.
You would more than likely lose about 50fps

WKR
I'd tap the brakes and go lighter with a Benchmark, Pacnor, Lilja, or Hart I think. Hate to rush stuff and then always want it different. Guilty of that a few times.

Or as stated, I'd for sure chop that thing to 24". That from someone with 3 of the 2Bs cut at 18-19.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I’m now the proud owner of the brown stocked rifle with fluted Brux #3.
With that or the Bartlein 2b you can have an extra 1/2” or more cut off the shank to save some weight. That’s what Frank did on the Brux.
I think the .264 2b comes at 27” length for a 26” finish with standard shank length.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a .22-250 with a bartlein 2B finished at 26". I had it cut long for velocity. Each inch of barrel is good for 50-100fps depending on load, and grain of projectile. There is a lot of good info over on snipershide about barrel legnth and velocity. I hunt coyotes and dont reload, so Im looking for all the speed I can get in a fur friendly round. The 2B was what Bartlein recommended when I called them. A Brux was my #2 choice. I got lucky and found a smith that had a bartlein. Waited 5 months for a chamber and fit. I went light and long.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a .22-250 with a bartlein 2B finished at 26". I had it cut long for velocity. Each inch of barrel is good for 50-100fps depending on load, and grain of projectile. There is a lot of good info over on snipershide about barrel legnth and velocity. I hunt coyotes and dont reload, so Im looking for all the speed I can get in a fur friendly round. The 2B was what Bartlein recommended when I called them. A Brux was my #2 choice. I got lucky and found a smith that had a bartlein. Waited 5 months for a chamber and fit. I went light and long.
I’ve never cut down a barrel inch by inch but I’ve had multiple barrels different lengths and only saw 25-35fps per inch. I also don’t think I’ve read anywhere about a 50-100 fps per inch drop either.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
agreed,it depends on the cartridge.2 of my out west hunting rifles have 25 inch barrels.both broughton and balance perfectly.both 3 contour.

It definitely depends on the cartridge but most barrels loose about 25fps per inch of barrel cut off.