Bartlein Carbon Barrel Ding

j_volt

WKR
I picked up my custom 300prc yesterday. I discovered a “ding” in the barrel shortly after receiving (see pic below). I called the builder, and he acted like it was no big deal and that it’s pretty normal on carbon barrels from Bartlein. Do you agree? Needless to say, it was very expensive so getting anything other than a perfect rifle is disappointing. I was planning to call Bartlein on Monday to get their take as well.

D2F611C6-E17C-4B79-BFAD-8456F666B4E9.jpegE9B6CDBF-235E-477C-8975-64202861F83D.jpeg

WDO

FNG
Definitely following this one.

The reason I didn't get a carbon barrel on my build was because I was worried about this. My gunsmith said he hadn't experience it yet, but his personal thought was a chip in the carbon fiber may cause issues.

I don't know about Bartlein carbon barrels but my guess is this is not normal. My Proof carbon barrel doesn't have any chips in it and it's not something I've heard anything about. My most accurate rifle has a steel Bartlein barrel on it, they do great work and I bet they'd agree this isn't normal.

Last edited:

Bullmark

FNG
I just ordered the same barrel....a Bartlein carbon .30 cal, #4 contour. I assume you are certain the barrel didn’t come from Bartlein w/ the free chip in it? If you never took possession of the barrel (had it shipped directly to the builder), I would call Bartlein and inquire.
Did u ask the builder if he caused it?
I don’t think you are being the least bit unreasonable to expect a new custom build to be free of those types of blemishes.

Bullmark

FNG
I’ve also watched the Proof video where they use one of their barrels like a golf club/sledge hammer, and take full swings into a cinder block. The barrel didn’t chip at all and shot perfect after the demonstration.

My hunch is no barrel maker would let that pass (knowingly).

FWIW, I am a hack and have had favorable results patching CF chips with clear epoxy. Can also sand CF with 400 to 600 grit without any blemish to the surface. Lots of rough & tumble stuff made with CF (rifle stocks, canoe paddles, hockey sticks, bike frames...) so lots of info on how to patch chips, etc. If you do it right can disguise the blem. If you do it wrong can redo til you get it right cuz new and set epoxy will bond easily.

Hope it all works out!

Bullmark

FNG
The big question is does he do nothing and grit his teeth, or take it up with the responsible party?
I would bet the ding will never cause any issues or problems, but he just laid out $4-6K (an average custom build) for a top shelf rifle, and that ding really takes the shine off of it.

I’d have an issue on principle alone for it being a brand new custom rifle. I doubt it would effect function but I’d want to know where the chip occurred in the timeline. Did it come from Bartlein like that? Did the smith cause it? Did it happen in shipping along the way? I bet Bartlien would make it right if you reached out. Saw on SH where a guy baked a Bart CF barrel for cerakoting and the carbon pulled back from the muzzle. Bartlein rewrapped it for free and advised to bake a lower temp.

deadwolf

WKR
If that happened to my barrel during use, I’d fix it as Ryan described. But my opinion is that the maker never should’ve spun that one up on your build in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
Frank Green is part of Bartlein barrel company as well as he's now a member of this forum. I haven't seen Frank post in a month of so but if your gunsmith is saying it came that way from Bartlein I'd reach out to Frank and see what he has to say. Bartlein is pretty top notch about their products so I'd maybe be a little skeptical it was sent out that way but stranger things have happened.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve chipped both proof and C6, no biggie just cosmetic, do what Avery said and not worry. I’m actually shocked the builder didn’t fix it as it’s easier then finishing a stock and you probably would never notice.

Last edited:

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would not accept the damaged barrel. I would think that he would have said something before chambering it. I would assume it happened during the build or post chambering. Doubt it came that way. Amazing how many smith's put off issues on barrel makers. I would have the Smith replace the barrel and have someone else chamber it based on his comments of that being normal. Sweet looking rifle though.