Bartlein Carbon Barrel Ding

I'm trying to be less of a perfectionist in my old age.
And except things are never perfect or at least won't stay that way.

But man 5k on a rifle and that happens. Ugg don't think I'd except that.

But id shoot it 1st and if it shot great id probably keep it.
Because id be worried the builder would just throw together the next one and it may not shoot great.
Doesn't seem like there is to much integrity there.

I’ve got 2 Bartlein carbon bbls and both have a scuff or two on the carbon. Both shoot lights out but their carbon finish is not on par with Proof. I know the gunsmith did not cause the scuffs on my bbls because I ordered both of them.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
I’m very thankful for all of what you all are telling me. This gun cost me $4600 (including the atlas bipod and everything in the picture). I don’t want to say who the builder is to give him the benefit of the doubt to fix all of this (even though he told me this is normal and many Bartlein barrels come like this).

To be honest, I’m dissapointed in this build and the builder’s response to this blemish. It seems to be the bare minimum to have a round barrel - I AM SORRY FOR WANTING THAT. I have an elk hunt scheduled for October in which I hope to use this gun, but I have a backup gun if I can’t use this.

I am happy to hear from Bartlein on how they feel about this. I will keep you all posted.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
I just ordered the same barrel....a Bartlein carbon .30 cal, #4 contour. I assume you are certain the barrel didn’t come from Bartlein w/ the free chip in it? If you never took possession of the barrel (had it shipped directly to the builder), I would call Bartlein and inquire.
Did u ask the builder if he caused it?
I don’t think you are being the least bit unreasonable to expect a new custom build to be free of those types of blemishes.
The builder acted like he noticed it, but it’s “normal” in Bartlein barrels. He said they don’t take barrels back when they have chips like this. I find that odd, and I’m looking forward to talk to Bartlein.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Dents and dings are very normal.

doesn’t matter tho because it’s your rifle you should be the one denying and singing it!

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
The builder acted like he noticed it, but it’s “normal” in Bartlein barrels. He said they don’t take barrels back when they have chips like this. I find that odd, and I’m looking forward to talk to Bartlein.

Are we allowed to ask who the builder was??

like just casually not bad mouthing or anything.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Add me to the I wouldn’t be happy crowd. We don’t know who did it though. Builder or barrel maker but at this point it’s on the builder. Last guy to touch it.

NV HUNTER

WKR
It should have been made aware to the OP that there was a ding, dent, scratch in the barrel. At that point the OP could have made the decision on what he wanted to do.

I am going through 2 custom builds with carbon barrels. They were sent to me. I checked quality and then shipped to the smith. I would be extremely upset if one of my rifles looked that way. 06C3B926-53A0-4DC6-B594-D13ACD2E728F.jpeg

I’ve also watched the Proof video where they use one of their barrels like a golf club/sledge hammer, and take full swings into a cinder block. The barrel didn’t chip at all and shot perfect after the demonstration.
Sounds like some interesting marketing..
The builder I use said he got a proof in the mail that was literally bent like a banana, no idea what caused it but CF barrels aren't know for toughness.
Bartlein leaves a lot more steel under the wrapping so bending one would probably be difficult

The builder I use said he got a proof in the mail that was literally bent like a banana, no idea what caused it but CF barrels aren't know for toughness.
Bartlein leaves a lot more steel under the wrapping so bending one would probably be difficult
Sounds like an exaggeration on his part. Maybe some people more knowledgeable on it can chime in but the idea that the barrel just bent like a banana without an obvious cause sounds ridiculous on the face of it. Even if it has a bit less steel than a Bartlein it's still a fair bit of steel it doesn't just bend for no reason.

Last edited:

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I would order another one, after about 1500 rounds or so on the chipped one I would replace it.

GLB

WKR
I would not accept that. I know things gets banged up during shipment and if the builder received it like that he should have fixed it before he put his name on it.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
EDIT - see below post, not normal for it to be this bad.

Well, I called Bartlein this morning and they said this is 100% normal. I guess I’ll have to lower my standards for new and expensive things moving forward.

If anyone is aware of a truck dealer selling $80k pickups with a dent in the door, send them my way. This experience is apparently right up my alley.

Last edited:
OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
That's surprising. Just to clarify, did Bartlein say that it's normal that the carbon wrap can chip or did they say it's normal for them (Bartlein) to send out barrel blanks with chips already taken out?
EDIT - see below post, not normal for it to be this bad.

Bartlein said this is normal for barrels to go out with chips, and they were adamant it affects nothing besides the appearance which is why they don't fix these. Super nice CS for the record.

Last edited:
OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
OPE, THE PLOT THICKENS! It is normal for barrels to go out with chips, but they apparently sent the photo around and it is not normal for chips to be this bad. Mark at Bartlein said the barrel did not leave Bartlein like that. The gun is going back to the smith today, and will be sent back to Bartlein and they going to rewrap the barrel.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
This situation is not ideal, but I am very happy about how Bartlein and my smith handled the situation.

Sounds like an exaggeration on his part. Maybe some people more knowledgeable on it can chime in but the idea that the barrel just bent like a banana without an obvious cause sounds ridiculous on the face of it. Even if it has a bit less steel than a Bartlein it's still a fair bit of steel it doesn't just bend for no reason.
Never said there wasn't a reason
It was obviously damaged in shipping, he thought something heavy had to have been dropped on it.
He's a well known and highly respected Smith

The barrel I will say didn't ship here like that. After wrapping and final contouring the barrel still gets touched by 3-4 different people. If it was like that you would think (I'll throw Murphy's law in here as we are all human) someone would've/should've seen it. Anyone here can question anything and bring it to my or another persons attention if we see something that is out of the norm. Doesn't matter if it's with carbon fiber or something with gun drilling, turning, reaming, rifling etc...

I'll also say it's not normal.

Can things happen with the carbon fiber? You bet. Your dealing with a different material touching the barrel. They will heat and cool at different rates is one thing that happens.

How the gunsmith holds onto the barrel when doing the install can cause issues.

Cerakoting the ends and how hot you get the barrel is another thing that causes issues.

Not just with ours but I've seen plenty of issues with other brands of cfw barrels as well.

No it will not effect accuracy at all.

Left the op a message.

Later, Frank

gbflyer

WKR
Nice looking shooter! I like to take a new truck out and scratch it all up to get it over with. Same with that rifle. Haha.