Bartlein Carbon Fiber wrapped barrels

Dhbwa

WKR
Fantastic! I had it at the range again this week and its pretty amazing so far. Only have 36 rounds down the barrel so far so not much but if it continues to shoot like it is I'm a happy camper! I sent some pics to Shaen and he liked how its performing also.

we all like pics....
Here is how my 284 Win that Shaen spun up shoots...7.5lb T3... Along with a McWhorter in 270WBY...It’s only 9lbs all up. I am set...5AE8360F-B4CA-4106-9E85-BAE453BD7874.jpeg

I'm building myself a 7mm WSM for a do it all rifle that'll kill anything and shoot out to a 1000 yards. I have an AG precision stock, a defiance action, and I should be getting my bartlein carbon barrel #13 sendero 26" in an 8 twist sometime soon. I would like to trim down weight if possible and will likely follow the advice you guys have given to take some metal off the muzzle, but I'm still unsure of shortening the shank as there is not a lot of room until you hit carbon. Would like to hear what anybody else has to say about it.

OP
Oregonmuley
I'm building myself a 7mm WSM for a do it all rifle that'll kill anything and shoot out to a 1000 yards. I have an AG precision stock, a defiance action, and I should be getting my bartlein carbon barrel #13 sendero 26" in an 8 twist sometime soon. I would like to trim down weight if possible and will likely follow the advice you guys have given to take some metal off the muzzle, but I'm still unsure of shortening the shank as there is not a lot of room until you hit carbon. Would like to hear what anybody else has to say about it.
When I picked up my #4 contour early last year I asked Frank Green @ Bartlein about cutting off some of the shank - my blank was supposed to finish @ 24" but was hoping to cut it a bit shorter.

Anyway, he said no problem taking off 1/2" to 3/4" off the shank and then an inch off the muzzle. Per Frank that should be fine unless building a big magnum and then he wasn't sure it would be a great idea or not. Shaen my gunsmith also confirmed you can cut some off. Mine is a 7MM-08 so no problems. I just sent off another one for a repeat build and will be doing the same thing with this one.

That's awesome! Do you know about how much weight that took off the barrel? I'm new here on Rokslide and I was looking for a forum about brakes. Did you throw a brake on yours? I'm considering doing a 3 port to bring down weight and length instead of a 4 port which my builder usually does. Is there any noticeable difference in recoil/noise between the two?

OP
Oregonmuley
Can't help you on your brake question but can on your weight question. When I got my blank which is a #4 contour 7MM that was 25" long. It weighed 3 lbs 5 ozs. When Shaen was finished cutting off some from both ends and chambering it cut about 9 ozs off, here is finish weight.

Great! Due to mine being the #13 contour I'll probably shoot for 3 lbs. I talked to my gunsmith tonight and he's got my barrel. Just waiting on my dang left handed action and stock and then it'll be ready to go.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Can't help you on your brake question but can on your weight question. When I got my blank which is a #4 contour 7MM that was 25" long. It weighed 3 lbs 5 ozs. When Shaen was finished cutting off some from both ends and chambering it cut about 9 ozs off, here is finish weight.

I really need to send something to Shaen....

Looking at a Bart CF for a 30 cal magnum rebarrel, am I reading it right that the #4s will finish at .750 OD regardless of length? And if I wanted to finish at 22, would I order a 22 inch blank or 24?

OP
Oregonmuley
Looking at a Bart CF for a 30 cal magnum rebarrel, am I reading it right that the #4s will finish at .750 OD regardless of length? And if I wanted to finish at 22, would I order a 22 inch blank or 24?
I believe you would order a 23" blank. The CF wrapped barrels are made to cut an inch off the muzzle end only - although per Frank Green you can cut some off the shank like I did with my 7MM-08. He did say for a big magnum maybe that wouldn't be a great idea though. So I think you want to order a 23" which will finish @22". The blank I had that was supposed to finish @24" was 25" long.
Hope that helps - just got word from my smith my new one is almost ready so will post once I have it back.

HuntnPack

WKR
Limited experience with a suppressor & limited use so far, but I like it so far.
It’s gonna be good for my intended use.
seems to be of good quality.

Order a 23” like Frank posted above

Seems to me a guy should order the length they want and Bartlein adds 1" to that for the smith to work with. I'd make sure to clarify with your vendor or bartlein when ordering.

I bought a blank off bugholes listed as 26" and I assume it was 27" with 1" extra for the smith to cutoff. I would think something like this http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/cx-30cal-10tw-ss-cfw-n4-22.htm listed at 22" but will actually measure longer is what @CApighunter wants. The desired finish length is the important #.

The other goofy thing is how bugholes says what the muzzle diameter is at the finish length. It conflicts with bartlein saying the contours are the same as the steel barrels. A #4 contour @ 22" shouldn't have the same muzzle diameter as a #4 @26 if it's the same contour as the steel barrels. Basically they are indicating contour changes based upon spec'd length.

My 300wm havak with a new 26" #4 bart carbon just got back from TS Customs today. I'm excited to give her a whirl!

Seems to me a guy should order the length they want and Bartlein adds 1" to that for the smith to work with. I'd make sure to clarify with your vendor or bartlein when ordering.

I bought a blank off bugholes listed as 26" and I assume it was 27" with 1" extra for the smith to cutoff. I would think something like this http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/cx-30cal-10tw-ss-cfw-n4-22.htm listed at 22" but will actually measure longer is what @CApighunter wants. The desired finish length is the important #.

The other goofy thing is how bugholes says what the muzzle diameter is at the finish length. It conflicts with bartlein saying the contours are the same as the steel barrels. A #4 contour @ 22" shouldn't have the same muzzle diameter as a #4 @26 if it's the same contour as the steel barrels. Basically they are indicating contour changes based upon spec'd length.

My 300wm havak with a new 26" #4 bart carbon just got back from TS Customs today. I'm excited to give her a whirl!
I was looking at bugholes for the reference and that’s what had me confused. I’m sure you’re right on the length, but the muzzle diameter/contour has me turned around. If a 22 inch would finish at .750 then it would be perfect for the brake I currently have. It’s a 23 inch 300 win now but I think I’ll end up having it redone with a 22 inch 30 nos. Not in any rush, I’ll wait till next year unless the barrel goes south before that.

OP
Oregonmuley
I was looking at bugholes for the reference and that’s what had me confused. I’m sure you’re right on the length, but the muzzle diameter/contour has me turned around. If a 22 inch would finish at .750 then it would be perfect for the brake I currently have. It’s a 23 inch 300 win now but I think I’ll end up having it redone with a 22 inch 30 nos. Not in any rush, I’ll wait till next year unless the barrel goes south before that.
So I just checked the muzzle on my #4 contour CF barrel. It was supposed to be a barrel that finished @ 24", it was 25" long when I got it. My smith took an inch of the muzzle per Bartleins instructions on all their barrels, and he also took some of the shank. It ended up finished @ 22.75" long and the muzzle is .755-.756 when I check it with my uber quality Harbor Freight calipers.

So I think you would be fine (y)