Base camp power supply build

11boo

WKR
We typically set up for all september. Anker packs only go so far, this will all come in easily on my SxS.

35 AH deep cycle in battery box
Harbor freight box for solar controller and USB/12V outputs
120 w folding panel
a couple old 16 ga extension cords

I put most of this stuff together before, version 1.0. Crude, but effective.

FD7E45C9-1A9B-4B3F-B9F3-CA61917FB77D.jpeg

V 2.0, less crude

7C123F29-69D9-4031-AF4F-CDC84D866DA7.jpegAA52D8E1-0FE4-4768-81FD-0F72EDA2A01D.jpeg372F0253-CCD9-4B53-B433-0319A021A777.jpeg

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
The lights are also cheap led strips off Amazon, in a clear tube. Semi crude, I would like to find a better way, but this is pretty compact.

the extension cords got the ends cut off and had new QD connectors put on.
Made a 75’ one for the solar so we can get it in the sun. A short one to go from the battery to the control box.

CAVEboy

FNG
Have you tested how long you can run yet? Also are you powering anything other than strip lights and phone charging?

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
The last version used the same battery and a 90w rooftop PV, and it would run lighting and charge 2 phones/Inreach/etc. fine for a couple weeks. At that point the battery was getting low, but we found if someone was back at camp midday and re-aimed the panel it took a lot more charge, and got us thru the month.

If I was building a house, I would include this.

8FB9D02C-DDBE-4C5B-B31D-7CBE439B6CF7.jpeg

CAVEboy

FNG
I've built a few small hunting trailers and camp trailers so it's always interesting to see different power solutions. I usually have a water supply and RV pump for running water in addition to the charging and lighting. For information, I got turned on to factory available solar controllers from my father in law. The rv folks upgrade their solar systems, but some came with very high quality charge controllers. You can source them in the rv forums if you know specifics. I got a zamp from a guy who had upgraded for $40 shipped.

hunting1

WKR
Mine is a 12V deep cell battery, clip on 500 W Inverter, and a 6W solar panel. My camper was sold but the battery and solar panel were left over.

Works all week no problem for cell phones, speaker, LED lights.

AdamLewis

FNG
Any idea what this weighs? Mind sharing a rough cost?

I saw a 60 Ah battery bank on Amazon that had a built in inverter and charge manager. It'd still need a solar panel to charge, but otherwise pretty complete. $200 but was wondering what it would cost to DIY it.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Mine is a 35ah deep cycle. Mebbe 20 lbs? Panel is about 5 lbs. control box and extension cables probably another 5.

The sky is the limit on these builds, I just need charging and lights for a month, and this will do it. I don’t use an inverter.

200 bucks for the folding panel
75 for the battery and box
20 for the H freight control box
20 for the USB/12V outputs I cut into the control box.

Last edited:
OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Yep. These folding panels are just too easy. Someday I’ll dip my toes in the lightweight batteries out there.

I have this with two deep cycles. I need to add a solar panel to charge them during the day(s) when I’m spike camping. It’s pretty nice to have lights, a fan, and an electric heater going after a few nights living out of a pack. I have this setup in a 14’ cargo trailer. I use a 2100 watt inverter generator and a battery charger to recharge them currently. How well does it charge your battery?

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
I have this with two deep cycles. I need to add a solar panel to charge them during the day(s) when I’m spike camping. It’s pretty nice to have lights, a fan, and an electric heater going after a few nights living out of a pack. I have this setup in a 14’ cargo trailer. I use a 2100 watt inverter generator and a battery charger to recharge them currently. How well does it charge your battery?

An electric heater is a big power hog. You are using it on battery power, not the generator?

my only experience is just running 12v loads, no inverter.

An electric heater is a big power hog. You are using it on battery power, not the generator?

my only experience is just running 12v loads, no inverter.
Yeah, had to buy it in a pinch because my propane heater would not light at elevation. It’s only 1500 watts so it can run off the generator or the inverter.

What I was really asking is how well the solar panels work to charge the batteries. Is it worth it to try and setup solar to charge batteries when I’m away from camp for 4-5 days at a time? Also, how reliable is the controller/converter shut off switch when they become charged? I’ve heard that some are janky and can ruin batteries and also the reverse current switch can flow back into the panels, subsequently ruining them as well.

CAVEboy

FNG
Generally solar is great for charging batteries. Especially if you are gone for 4 days at a time. I think the key to solar charging is run a decent quality controller if you are worried about reliability and leaving it unmonitored for days at a time. There are lots of cheap options and people have lots of good to say about them, but with the questions you are asking you seem like you would rather forget it. It's all about your anticipated load and how much you are willing to spend.

Generally solar is great for charging batteries. Especially if you are gone for 4 days at a time. I think the key to solar charging is run a decent quality controller if you are worried about reliability and leaving it unmonitored for days at a time. There are lots of cheap options and people have lots of good to say about them, but with the questions you are asking you seem like you would rather forget it. It's all about your anticipated load and how much you are willing to spend.
Any recommendations on a controller? I have no experience whatsoever with controllers. Also, are all panels created equally?

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
My flex solar panel came with a controller. Pretty simple connections, solar in, battery in and power output terminals. Probably way to small for your application tho. I’m just doing some lights and USB .

Just for charging the batteries, it might work. If you run them down to low voltage, it may not. 120 watts of charging is not much in your application, and they will only do max output when the sky is clear and they are directly facing the sun. I suppose you could bank up a lot more than 120 watts for $$$.

Last edited:
OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
TBH, I wouldn’t mess with it much. You could try a flexsolar or similar in the 120w range. A couple hundred bucks gets you everything except a decently long cord to get the panel in the sun, and that can be made easily from 16 ga cord.

TBH, I wouldn’t mess with it much. You could try a flexsolar or similar in the 120w range. A couple hundred bucks gets you everything except a decently long cord to get the panel in the sun, and that can be made easily from 16 ga cord.
Yeah, after doing some research, I don't think I'll be adding solar this year. If I ever pack in my basecamp, I'll definitely be setting up a system that is similar to yours.