Base camp stoves and Lanterns?

2rocky

WKR
Lightweight doesn'r necessarily mean backpacking. Horseback or Fly-in hunts have to make every pound count too..

So when you are going to take some bigger ammenities, what are the better lightweight options on 2-3 burner propane stoves?

vs.

My current stove is a 2 burner coleman propane

How about Fuel? How do the small propane canisters compare to liquid fuel in terms of burn time per oz?

Should i consider switching to liquid to lighten my load?

In looking at REI.com a Liquid 2 burner stove is going to be 1 pound lighter, and take up a little more than HALF the space of a propane stove from the same brand!

pixel.gif

Comparing burn times, Liquid will burn for .8 hours per 8 oz While Propane is only .5 hours per 8 oz.

Liquid camping fuel is winning so far by the numbers...

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Coleman might not make the best overall camping gear, but by golly they got their lanterns and stoves dialed in. Hard to beat good 'ol coleman for cooking on and lighting up a tent. If I am taking a full size stove or lantern along I'm on my Polaris 6x6s so weight generally isn't off too much concern and I just run propane. Liquid fuel is more efficient no doubt though.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Luke I hear ya! Stoves and lanterns are the only products where i look for that name...

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up using Coleman propane lanterns and stoves but decided to go liquid fuel when it came time for me to buy my own and I am very happy with them so far, an added bonus is they produce a dry heat that helps dry your tent or clothing out.

bairdi

FNG
While the Coleman liquid fuel stoves and lanterns can use either Coleman fuel or unleaded gas from the pump, I have found that over the long term (ie daily use over the course of an entire summer or two) the generators get goofy when burning unleaded. I think it has to do something with the additives in the car gas. Currently I use a propane Coleman lantern and a liquid fuel Coleman stove. Now a days here in ak one can almost always get 1 lb propane bottles at most any village store, though you'll pay for it. I like the propane lanterns because it lowers the chance of starting a fire if it gets dropped. Had a close call in a cabin one winter when a lit liquid fuel lantern fell off it's hanging nail and hit the floor where proceeded to spill gas and catch on fire. Luckily I had a bucket of snow on the wood stove that I was able to douse it with.