Base camp tent

Alchemy

WKR
I’m looking for a new base camp tent, obviously there are tons of options.....

-Live in Oklahoma and do travel to colder climates, but will be used in Oklahoma 75% of the time
-would like a stove of some sort, I love fire!
-obviously easy to set up is always a plus, but not the most important criteria.... as this tent will literally be set up right off the tailgate
-I want room! I have a big Agnes UL for the backpack stuff so I’m wanting something cozy.

I will be using this tent with my family (wife and 2 little ones) or 1-2 hunting partners, from 60 degrees to 20 degrees. Fall-winter-spring type setup.... I want a nice warm cot. This will be used for deer camp, fishing trips, family camping....

Here is what I’ve narrowed down, in no order:
-OG wall tent from Davis or Montana with barrel stove

PROS:
Wall tents are just plain nastalgic
Heat retention
Longevity with proper maintenance

CONS:
Heavy
Bulky stove
Maintenance

-Seek outside large tipi with titanium stove

PROS:
Fast setup
Lighweight
Seems pretty spacious at ground level

CONS:
headroom
Floorless (I’ve never tried a floorless design so it just seems foreign to me and not sure the wife and kids would be comfortable)

-Roof mounted overland style unit

PROS:
Setup
Gets you up and out off the ground

CONS:
I don’t want to have to break a tent down to drive vehicle, that kinda defeats a base camp tent to me. Last thing I’d want to do after hiking 5 miles back is set up a tent 8’ in the air in the dark....
seems like it would sleep cold with no thermal break

Seems like all these units run fairly close in the ballpark, I’d really like to be all in setup for under $1700

I love my wall tent. Weight should not be an issue if you are camping off your tailgate. Thats how we camp too. The wall tents are actually very easy to set up if you get the frame. I have never used log poles.

If you want 3 dudes with cots and plenty room your only option is a wall tent.
You loose alot of space with a TP because of the wall angles.
Kodiak is a good in between but not sure it large enough for ya.
Maybe if you get the larger 1.
Way easier to set then a wall tent.

You just gotta decide space and comfort or ease of setup.

Cabelas Alaknak works for us. We have the 12 x 20. Very roomy.

I also have a rooftop tent. Didn't take it last year, but I always envision it as a 2nd basecamp tent if we travel somewhere and don't necessarily want to stay on the mountain. I do have a Small tipi and stove for packing in.

Live in Tulsa BTW.....

If you want 3 dudes with cots and plenty room your only option is a wall tent.
You loose alot of space with a TP because of the wall angles.
Kodiak is a good in between but not sure it large enough for ya.
Maybe if you get the larger 1.
Way easier to set then a wall tent.

You just gotta decide space and comfort or ease of setup.

This covers the gist of it well IMO. I wouldn't buy a Tipi unless you plan to pack it in. 10x14 Kodiak Canvas would allow for more stand-up, walk around space. 3 adults with a stove would get pretty tight but doable. Wall tent is the answer if you want no compromise type space.

ChrisS

WKR
I've had a 8-man before and a kodiak 10x14. The Kodiak is probably easier to setup and provides plenty of room and it's cheaper. But it's also 80lbs, which is fine for truck camping. The only thing I'd like to do to my Kodiak is cut most of the floor out. I think it would still work as a tent, but I haven't worked up the courage to try yet.

I have a Davis 12x14 and love it. It has worked for me in warm early season to zero degrees with over a foot of snow. I have the internal frame and have no trouble setting it up myself and including the stove is about 40-45 minutes. The only maintenance related concerns I know of is to make sure it is dry before storing and if you cook in it ( who doesn’t) make sure you store where mice can’t get to it. I think the food smell and grease get into the fabric and becomes tasty for them. I store min in a big tub. Davis is a great company to deal with and I talked to them several times before ordering mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

WKR
I’m still undecided, have narrowed it down between a kodiak canvas or wall tent... thanks for all the advice.

Bought a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas last year and I absolutely LOVED it on our elk hunt. And man was I glad we got it because we drove right into a snowstorm on day 1 and ended up shoveling snow off it after the first night. The 3rd night it was down to 14 degrees, but a buddy heater hooked up to a propane bottle outside the tent kept us nice an toasty. I had two cots and a 6' table in a "U" shape with the table near the entrance. On the table was my Northstar Coleman lantern and two burner coleman stove. I would turn the buddy heater down to just the pilot light at night, and then just flick it on when we woke up. By the time I had the lantern on, the water on the stove, and the buddy heater fired up, I was down to a T shirt and toasty in less than 10 minutes, every morning, no matter how cold it got outside.

Best thing I added was a roll-up carpet for the floor of the tent. 6'x8' and man oh man was it nice getting out of my sleeping bag, sitting on the cot and having my feet on that nice carpet floor. Best $15 addition I made.

I can't recommend the Kodiak Canvas highly enough.

I'm kind of partial to our locally made (Alaska Tent and Tarp), Arctic Oven tents, although they are heavy and they aren't cheap. For the heavy wt. you get a nice large, stove and cot friendly with an inner material that wicks moisture away like nothing you've ever experienced, and the most bomber tent known to man kind. Guaranteed you won't find a wall tent that will be more comfortable and be able to handle hurricane force winds/storms better than the AO, not even close.

Mosby

WKR
I’m still undecided, have narrowed it down between a kodiak canvas or wall tent... thanks for all the advice.
Kodiak canvas will be a lot easier to set up and tear down than a wall tent. I can fit two disco cots in my 10x10, which gives me 4 beds. Plenty of room for two guys or a couple of small kids.
The biggest water mocassin I ever saw was at a lake outside of Edmond, so I would recommend a floor for local camping but thats me. I don't like snuggling with snakes.

OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

WKR
Ya my county has both rattlesnakes, mocassin, and cottonmouths. It’s fun in the summer.......

I have a larger wall tent with stove for real cold or groups of 3-4 if only 2 use my Kodiak canvas 10x10. I am contemplating gluing in a stove jack in the Kodiak as well for a small stove. Mama gets cold