Base camp/truck tent

Loco4dux

WKR
What’s everyone’s base camp tent of choice?

Big enough for two guys with cots, room to function and stand up.

Thess87

WKR
Been using a Davis 10x12 wall tent for a couple years now but I’m wanting to sell it now cause I’m downsizing to my cabelas Alaskan guide 6 man.

Beckel Canvas 9x12.....

IMG_1926.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Been using a Davis 10x12 wall tent for a couple years now but I’m wanting to sell it now cause I’m downsizing to my cabelas Alaskan guide 6 man.

I went the opposite direction. Couldn't stand my Alaskan Guide 6 man and finally went to a 14x16 Davis wall tent. Absolutely love it, especially the longer the season goes. It goes up easier and quicker solo than the Alaskan Guide ever did, and I can actually stand upright in the wall tent.

We use a 12 x 20 Cabelas Alaknak. Serves our purpose well. I also have a roof top tent, but have yet to use it on a hunt.

OP
Loco4dux

Loco4dux

WKR
Excellent! Thanks gentlemen. Need to dive into the research further. Appreciate the input.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tough to beat a canvas tent for base camp

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kodiak cabin tent 9x12 with a 8x8 awning and stove. Worked great for a 3rd season CO hunt this year.
8e4acfc835094d661b30e5b56c96ad77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is that the Kodiak Canvas porch/awning setup or is that something you put together yourself? That looks great.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kodiak cabin tent 9x12 with a 8x8 awning and stove. Worked great for a 3rd season CO hunt this year.
8e4acfc835094d661b30e5b56c96ad77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder if i could do something similar with my Kodiak Flexbow. Add one of the awnings out front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Is that the Kodiak Canvas porch/awning setup or is that something you put together yourself? That looks great.

Jackelope,
This is the Kodiak awning. This was awesome for the hunt. It worked great for 2 guys gave us a ton of room and functioned beautifully we could have had maybe 4 guys in the tent but the awning would have been cramped the way we were using it.

I should have taken pictures of the inside sorry. In the tent we had a set of Disc-O-Beds from Cabela's, you can buy them about anywhere now. In the awning we had a white folding table and hanging organizer I bought at Walmart, two camp chairs, and a 120 qt. igloo cooler. I modified the awning roof and installed a stove jack from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs in Ft. Collins to accommodate the stove. I did not get the best most expensive stove available. The stove I purchased was from Sportsman's Guide, I also purchased the stove accessories. I modified the stove as well by changing out the short 7" legs that come with it and put on 15" black iron pipe legs with flanges screwed to the bottom. I either used 3/4" or 1" pipe i do not remember. By putting the stove in the awning I did not have to worry about burning the tent floor as the awning does not have a floor. We cooked right on the stove as well, I did bring a Coleman stove for morning coffee. If you have not tried putting meals in a Food Saver Bag and boiling them in the bag submerged in hot water this works phenomenal. No pots and pans to clean and we burned the paper plates and plastic forks. For a guy that usually hunts in a spike camp this was very luxurious.

Odell,
I am not sure if this would work with the Flex Bow, I had one with the bat wing before I up graded to the cabin with awning. As I was doing research a thread either here on Rokslide or Bowsite came up where someone had added a stove jack to their Flex Bow.

lvtuna

FNG
Kodiak Canvas 10x10 goes up easy. I use 3/8 x 10" lag screws installed by battery impact gun to secure it. Wind, rain no problem. Heat it with a buddy heater. Great for two people with cots. This style system with all sleeping and cooking gear I can take a 4runner.
More than two people we bring the Davis 14 x 16 wall tent. This takes a lot of space. I use a trailer behind the 4runner for this set up. It is a palace. My girlfriend will come along when she knows the wood stove is going to be burning.

10×12 davis wall tent with rain fly. External frame and a good cylinder wood stove. Perfect for 2 guys and all of your gear with room to spare. If you plan on taking more people go bigger. Ive used mine a ton for cat hunting in super cold and snow, as well as in mild fall weather for other hunts. It is just really nice to have a real wood stove, have all gear inside, and room to move around, read maps, cook etc. Plus, after some practice, they go up really fast.

elkduds

WKR
Former wall tenter, now Kodiak 10x10. Better for my situation because of speed/ease of pitching, size for storing/transporting, vertical walls to roof. Usually solo, sometimes 2 guys, rarely 3. Heat w propane tanktop.

Jblack86

FNG
Jackelope,
This is the Kodiak awning. This was awesome for the hunt. It worked great for 2 guys gave us a ton of room and functioned beautifully we could have had maybe 4 guys in the tent but the awning would have been cramped the way we were using it.

I should have taken pictures of the inside sorry. In the tent we had a set of Disc-O-Beds from Cabela's, you can buy them about anywhere now. In the awning we had a white folding table and hanging organizer I bought at Walmart, two camp chairs, and a 120 qt. igloo cooler. I modified the awning roof and installed a stove jack from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs in Ft. Collins to accommodate the stove. I did not get the best most expensive stove available. The stove I purchased was from Sportsman's Guide, I also purchased the stove accessories. I modified the stove as well by changing out the short 7" legs that come with it and put on 15" black iron pipe legs with flanges screwed to the bottom. I either used 3/4" or 1" pipe i do not remember. By putting the stove in the awning I did not have to worry about burning the tent floor as the awning does not have a floor. We cooked right on the stove as well, I did bring a Coleman stove for morning coffee. If you have not tried putting meals in a Food Saver Bag and boiling them in the bag submerged in hot water this works phenomenal. No pots and pans to clean and we burned the paper plates and plastic forks. For a guy that usually hunts in a spike camp this was very luxurious.

Odell,
I am not sure if this would work with the Flex Bow, I had one with the bat wing before I up graded to the cabin with awning. As I was doing research a thread either here on Rokslide or Bowsite came up where someone had added a stove jack to their Flex Bow.

Above Timber,

You stated you made modifications to the awning roof. Did you do anything other than put a stove jack in? I have the same tent and i am considering putting a stove in it. I was worried about the awning not standing up to the wind/snow, but I would prefer the stove be in the awning. Do you have any regrets?

Thanks,
James

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone out there re-purpose a hub-style ice shelter as your truck tent? I always thought modding one with a stove jack and maybe some extra ventilation would be the cat's pajamas. Would be up and down in seconds, w/ a lot of space.

But meanwhile my Cabelas instinct alaskan guide dome has treated me well. It will never magically be a wall tent. Otoh, it packs down small, goes up pretty fast, and it's easy to dry out back at home.