Base camp wood stove, whatcha running?

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a 12x20 Alaknak, need to put a stove in it. My first thought is to run a 30 gallon barrel with a wood stove kit, we used one in a 10x20 canvas tent in the Selway in November, kept the tent nice and warm and only had to fill it once a night. While it works Im wondering if there isnt something more efficient. Whats everyone running and what kind of burn time are you getting out of it?

Still using an old cast iron stove from the 60's that measures around 30" long, 15" wide, and 15" tall......plus the legs. It will run you out of a 15'x25' tent. You can damp it down and get good heat for 6 hours or so.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use the Colorado Cylinder Alpine Stove in my wall tent. It has the heated water tank and accessories with it.

But for archery I just use a tank top 2-burner propane heater in the mornings just to warm things up a bit.

We use an old army 16'x32' wall tent and have gone through a few different stoves. The first one was the shitty military sheetmetal one that couldn't take big enough logs to keep burning more then An hour. The second one was cast iron but way too small about 1 foot by 1 foot by 2 feet long. We tried everything in that too but it would fill with ash so fast it choked itself out. The stove we run now was actually found on the side of the road in the neighbors garbage. It is about 2-3 feet tall and about 18 inches round and stands upright. It is lined with firebricks and cooks us out of the tent and once lit we never have to light it again it for a week as it retains coals very well. We run a 4inch pipe I think and a damper and spark arrestor in the top.

I have the same tent. Just got it this year. I purchased a wilderness 4 from the wall tent shop. TENT STOVES
f83ca135702e0a8aaa8e437c1e32e617.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a 30 pound firebox warm morning coal and wood stove. By the time we get a good coal fire going, we are good for about 4 hours in the alaknak 12 by 20 and 6 hours in the 16 by 20 canvas wall tent. It'll hold about 2/3rds a bucket of coal. Before that we used a 4 dog, a cast iron cowboy stove, and one of the military barrel stoves. Coal is far superior to wood. So, if you have access to it, it a stove that'll burn it too. God Bless

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a local fireplace shop and took a scrap insert stove that had no door out of their scrap pile and gave them $20. Welded up a new door latch and door with some custom features that I had designed. Put some legs on the bottom and it made a perfect tent stove. Not to heavy, one guy could move it if he was by himself but it is sturdy and has a great burn time. No getting up at night ever.

Zbowman1

WKR
I have the same tent. Just got it this year. I purchased a wilderness 4 from the wall tent shop. TENT STOVES
f83ca135702e0a8aaa8e437c1e32e617.png

I had the same tent with the same stove. I do a lot of nov-dec camps in Idaho and they do condensate considerably if you don't keep them worm. I kept the stove and sold the tent and now run two canvases tents mated together with two stoves.
07c796a7f4d4b10a712a65564cd83689.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
Cylinder stove hands down. Superior customer service paired with a great design and quality craftsmanship for a fair price. Done.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, Cylinder stoves work well. My buddy has a 4 dog stove and he really likes it - they are well built: View Four Dog Wood Stove's full line of camp and tent stove wood burning for your outdoor wilderness cooking and heating needs

For longer burns, I think it's worthwhile to seal the door with some gasket material. I sealed the door on an old cylinder stove and it held a fir all night. Amazon.com: Adhesive Backed Wood Stove Door Gasket, Fiberglass Rope Seal. Flat 1/4" x 1" wide x 10 ft. roll: Home & Kitchen

Home made air tight stove for me. 1/8" plate for the top, door and back. 16 gauge for the sides and bottom to keep it light enough I can pack it around. If I had to guess I'd say it weighs around 60 pounds. I put sand or rocks in the bottom to keep it from burning out. It's been working well for me for a few years now.

75b391c6d32e37471319ba132a054438_zpse8xyjmpv.jpg

I guess my photo bucket days are over

fishslap

WKR
I run the barrel stove that Davis tent and awning sells. I think they call it the summit. I have whatever size they recommend for a 10x12 tent. I don't use the water box but I do use the warming side tray. I once had the spark arrestor screen soot up and push some smoke in the tent. I replaced the screen with a roof top vent cap from Home Depot and opened up some of the vent slots with tin snips. Way better. I also had my uncle weld up a collar with a flat plate around the bottom. It sits on the stove around the pipe hole and I clamp it to the back lip of the stove with mini c-clamps. I cut it up the back to make it easier to get the pipe in and then clamp down. It helps support the pipe better. I no longer worry about stoking or burn time at night and just let it die out once I go to sleep. My wife got me a big buddy heater with a built in fan and three heat settings. I run it off a 20lb cylinder. Lot of crap to haul but I sleep like a baby with that setup and have the benefits of a wood stove in the evening.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same tent with the same stove. I do a lot of nov-dec camps in Idaho and they do condensate considerably if you don't keep them worm. I kept the stove and sold the tent and now run two canvases tents mated together with two stoves.
07c796a7f4d4b10a712a65564cd83689.jpg

Curious how it works mating those two tents together when one is smaller. How drafty is it that way? I'm assuming the larger in the rear is the sleep tent?

fishslap

WKR
I ran a 14x16 mated up to a 10x12 this past 1st rifle in Colorado. It was pretty warm so we didn't have any issues. We only had a stove and heater in the bigger one. Kept the doors tied open together and had a couple guys in the 10x12.

Zbowman1

WKR
Curious how it works mating those two tents together when one is smaller. How drafty is it that way? I'm assuming the larger in the rear is the sleep tent?

The rear tent is a 12x14 Montana Canvas and the front tent is a 10x12 Walltentshop brand. It worked great for years like that. Now with that said I just ordered another 12x14 from MC with a 1' flap sewn into the rear so I can overlap the tents. It's not the draft that bothered me it is the melting snow. Couple pics of how I set it up.
a4a717b1c69b25d840d00fd2511bb5ff.jpg
618a2e8cfb6210e7225c94b645f128bc.jpg
fe67128f40b51462b944067ceca14a30.jpg

LaHunter

WKR
I have the 12X20 Alaknak and run the Colorado Cylinder Stove (Largest model) and it will keep the tent warm. I can usually get 5-6 hours of good burn time out of mine.