Base layer leggings question

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple Badlands base layer leggings sitting in my shopping cart over at their site. One is a 190 weight 50/50 merino/synthetic blend and the other is their 260 weight 50/50 merino/synthetic blend. My hunt is going to be a winter Idaho Active hunt. Plenty of hiking (glassing too) and i typical run hot. Should I go with the 190 or the 260? Would the 260 be overkill and burn me up?

thanks!

Would you consider zip off options? Seems like that might fit your needs well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Yah, those definitely interest me. Just trying to figure out the weight different of the merino wool leggings, and which one is best for me and my situation.

Last edited:
I’ve got the older 145 weight Kuiu zipoffs, plenty warm for me. I’d go with the 190 over the 260 for an active hunt. But I’d definitely recommend looking at a zip off baselayer. It’s a game changer.

chindits

WKR
So they’re not pants and they’re not long johns. Are they like those tights them girls run around in but only a few actually look good wearing??

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Take the base layer off while moving and put them on when sitting idle.

That's the complete opposite of why I even use base layers. I want them to get rid of my sweat, so need them on when I'm most active. If anything, I'd take them off when I stopped.......so they'd dry faster. But I always leave mine on, and they dry just fine that way too.

Poser

WKR
For base layer pants, I generally expect that if I actually need them, they should be warm so I always go with the 260 weight for hunting, however, I use the zip offs and can’t imagine not having that feature. Sometimes, it’s just too cold to take them off no matter how hot you know ll you be I’m 20 minutes.

lukelalor

FNG
Another thing to keep in mind is what your top layers are looking like. Usually it is pretty easy to shed a layer up top, but pretty hard to shed on bottom. In winter I try to layer my bottom so that I won't be hot while moving with all my top layers stripped.

Similarly, if you are going to be using zip off pants, a base layer doesn't insulate very well if you get rid of the windbreaker on top. This gives you a much wider temperature range.