Base layer quandary.

Lowg08

WKR
I really enjoy my merino. Mostly first lite with some kuiu zip off bottoms. I handled the peleton 97 material and now I have a few questions. I really like merino BUT the weight and pack ability and dry time intrigues me. I’m going to stick with merino next to skin because I can zip on and off but I also wear knee length boxers merino. So I could put the 97 on later. I wear 150 weight merino tops in and swap once they are soaked. Just thinking maybe a thin merino t shirt would work and under a 97 top. Just wondering if anyone uses the 97 layers next to skin

Last edited:
I did it this year for my out of the truck Oct/Nov deer hunts this year. I've been told I run warm - maybe, maybe not - Jeans and a t-shirt this morning at 32 degrees for a casual 15 minute walk and I was comfortable & a bit sweaty. On the 'warmer' days I'd hike in with a Peloton 118, and would swap it out with a 97 once I got slowed/settled but just for my base dry out/until I started hiking again. It's warm, but the fleece liner didn't wick sweat like I'd want out of a base layer. The best way I can describe it is a heavy sweat in a 118 and I feel slick - a heavy sweat in a 97 and I feel damp. Not a monstrous difference, but noticeable enough to me I opted to not do use it as an actual base. When the snow started falling some of those coldest days I'd hike in a 118, or a 97 over the 118, but never just a 97 for that sweating reason.

All that being said. I love the piece. It came on every single one of my hunts this year, and got put on pretty close to every single individual day of the hunts. I just run really sweaty, and that fleece doesn't wick moisture as well as a 118 for me -- and being 4.5 ounces I had 0 qualms about bringing it in in my pack to layer or replace every day. It still does wicks moisture and is comfortable next to skin, so if you don't violently sweat I'd imagine it would be fine - just not for me.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Im thinking if I’m going to be moving all
Day. My merino would be needed. But swapping from a light merino to the 97 after a trek for a day sit would be a good idea.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I stay clammy if I wear merino. It just never dries, and I can't deal with that clammy feeling all day. Never have that issue with synthetic base layers, they dry a hundred times faster. If they could ever dial the scent control in on synthetic layers, merino would be done. That's its one saving grace at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I stay clammy if I wear merino. It just never dries, and I can't deal with that clammy feeling all day. Never have that issue with synthetic base layers, they dry a hundred times faster. If they could ever dial the scent control in on synthetic layers, merino would be done. That's its one saving grace at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
100% agreement here. I'll have to say, I've started just going synthetics. The sitka core base layers do pretty darn good at scent controll (I hunt mostly 7-10 day backpack style hunts). Sometimes I use a super lightweight Merino T against the skin (120 weight from Icebreaker)

Also for underwear, the Saxx Quest has been clutch. Extremely comfortable, and as good as anything at stink management. I'll bring 2 pairs on longer hunts and switch halfway through.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I always change clothes when I get to where I’m going anyway. Shirt is always soaked. Then I put zip offs on.