Base layer recommendations

Hey guys looking for some synthetic base layer recommendations. Switching over from my merino wool. Like Sitka stuff but have a hard time spending 70 bucks for a shirt.

After all the crazy expenses you can get yourself into with hunting, there was no way I was spending 70-80 schmeckles on one f-ing base layer. I found some polartec grid pattern gen lll at goodwill, 2 tops and 2 bottoms at $5 a piece. I believe they can be had for $20 a piece online. They are pretty robust but also plenty light for me. Military issue.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Don’t overthink this. Just go to REI or whatever other outdoor activity store is around you and get some synthetic shirts and long underwear.

With that said. I LOVE my Sitka Core lightweight and heavyweight hoodys. The hoods fit perfect, and the lightweight is very light and has a mask built into the hood. I also use Kuiu full zip 3/4 leggings. Full zip is the only way to go for legs. I just pull my pants down to my ankles to put them on or take them off. No boots or pants need to be removed.

excaliber

WKR
I have a few Sitka LS baselayer tops but I only paid 30.00 for them new on sale. I really like the lightweight of the Sitka tops. How much did you pay for the Merino you are ditching?
Hey guys looking for some synthetic base layer recommendations. Switching over from my merino wool. Like Sitka stuff but have a hard time spending 70 bucks for a shirt.

Dwhitey

FNG
I have had good luck with kuiu but I only buy it on sale, I have also had good luck with some of box store stuff. Just check labels and many times it is all the same material. D

I bought some of the Plythal base layers when they were on camo fire for like $25 and so far they are my favorite. I know they are not the big 3, but myself and my boys all have them and love them.

j33

WKR
I ran underarmour 2.0 for 12 years very warm and dried quick. Have had a few other random ones and always went back to that until I tried Kuiu Peloton’s, wow they are incredible dry very quick. I run it under my dirtbike gear too and even yard work, can’t believe how quick they dry. I will be using those this year, wool can’t even compare to synthetics for dry time. I will probably pick up a second set during a sale for long trips.

Do some research on wool vs synthetics and decide for yourself. The peloton line is pretty damn good on not stinking up too quick.

Personally I think baselayers are the most important piece of clothing, I wouldn’t cheap on them they aren’t created equally. At least based on my experience growing up in the coldness of Northern Alberta, you learn quick good clothing is important.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outdoor Research Echo layers and Patagonia's Lightweight Capilene (discontinued, but can be found) both are almost identical in fabric to Sitka's LW Core pieces- obviously not available in camo.

All three are a very light microgrid synthetic that breathe well and move moisture- exactly what you want in a base layer.

rkramer

FNG
I did the same thing for moisture wicking purposes in a cold environment. Instead of spending a bunch on everything I just got synthetic next to skin layers and kept my merino mid layers as they can easily be stripped if you get wet.

Outdoor Research Echo layers and Patagonia's Lightweight Capilene (discontinued, but can be found) both are almost identical in fabric to Sitka's LW Core pieces- obviously not available in camo.

All three are a very light microgrid synthetic that breathe well and move moisture- exactly what you want in a base layer.

The Capilene actually does have a camo color. I have bottom and top layers in them. I jogged a mile 10 times over a two week period without washing the shirt and it never smelled.

As others mentioned, keep an eye out of camofire for brands like ScentBlocker, Plythal, etc. Cabelas/BP also have some. I don’t buy anything for hunting anymore that doesn’t have some type of anti odor treatment.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ didn’t know that :)

I will say that I prefer the OR and Sitka over the Patagonia only because they offer hooded versions- I find the hoods very useful in the mountains; fabric wise they are all almost identical and perform wonderfully

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Capilene actually does have a camo color. I have bottom and top layers in them. I jogged a mile 10 times over a two week period without washing the shirt and it never smelled.

A few years ago I tried the Capilene/Merino blend and it stunk just like every other synthetic base layer after a day or two. My 100% merino is still good after a week of hard sweating.

A few years ago I tried the Capilene/Merino blend and it stunk just like every other synthetic base layer after a day or two. My 100% merino is still good after a week of hard sweating.

The stuff I have has no merino, and a treatment similar to the Sitka stuff so I’m not sure you were using the same thing.

I love merino socks and pants, but merino shirts make me itch. I have tried basically every brand.

Agree completely. I would chose the OR or Patagonia options. Lowish cost, very rigoursly tested, and worn by many of the best of the best mountaineers.

OP, don't listen to a bunch of comments above about buying something real cheap. Your baselayer is a critical piece of the clothing system.