Base Layers vs down layers. How do you roll?

180ls1

WKR
For pants, I am just curious how everyone works their system of utilizing puffy pants vs base layers when it's cold. Obviously, when it's super cold you use both but when it's just somewhat cold or when you only need something for short periods of glassing what do you prefer?

Seeknelk

WKR
Yeah...depends on temp. If it's 30-50, it can rain, so then I have rain pants. I put those on to glass quite often. Cuts wind and keeps a fair amount of wind in. I usually have kuiu long johns on or in the pack. And or subtract be as needed.
Now when it's roughly below 30...I start packing puffy pants and maybe not rain pants.
Base layer or not has no bearing on that for me. I don't wanna be dropping trou in a foot of snow and icy wind to put several layers under my pants.
I won't be moving in puffy layers or very little.

BBob

WKR
For short periods of glassing and it's cold enough I zip on the puffy pants. Faster to put them on and off than dropping pants to zip on/off merino unders. If it's not cold enough for carying puffy's and it's windy I put the super light rain pants that are always in the pack on.

Poser

WKR
I’m going to always go (zip off) baselayers first. If it’s cold enough to actually need puffy pants, it’s cold enough to have baselayers on.

I run under armor cold compression stuff, then first lite merino wool base layer.
Then my guide or catalyst pants/jacket.
I always carry my rain gear and I always carry my puffy pants/jacket but rarely wear them doing much outside of glassing or light duty stuff.

I don’t think I’ve ever worn base layers except sitting in a treestand or sleeping. Puffy pants are a go to for me if I am static.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I'm hunting then I have my lightweight base layers on regardless of temps. I'm always on the move so have to soak up that sweat somehow, and base layers are the ticket. If it's cold out, I'll wear my wool pants over my base layer. I've never used puffy pants, even in sub-zero temps.

Poser

WKR
I don’t think I’ve ever worn base layers except sitting in a treestand or sleeping. Puffy pants are a go to for me if I am static.

If you would get out of the dark ages and *luxuriate* yourself with a pair of zipoff baselayers, you’d likely hold a much different opinion.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Layer 1: lightweight long Johns as base always.
layer 2: heavyweight fleece long Johns,
layer 3: fleece pants and jacket.
layer 4: vest.
layer 5: outer shell and shell pants…camo + waterproof/breathable

At 40-55 deg F, I wore layer 1 and layer 5 this year. I have only wore all 5 layers once, sitting in a driving snow at 5 below 0.