Base layers

Tradchef

WKR
So I’ve used first light for quite a few years. Looks like my chama is holding strong but my llano and leggings are getting holes these days. I got a few gift cards atREI for Xmas and was looking at using that for some new merino base layers. I have never used any other brands so I figured I’d ask and see if there was some stuff comprable or better they carry or should I just get some newer first lite? Thanks for the help in advance.

tracker12

WKR
Smart wool has been around a long time and has held up well for me. Not sure what else REI is carrying these days. I did buy some Minus 33 this year and really liking it.

Like my black ovis leggings, get em on camofire cheap

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to stay away from pure merino for now and look for blends. My Smartwool started getting holes after about 20 miles on the trail. Maybe Im doing something wrong though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I plan to stay away from pure merino for now and look for blends. My Smartwool started getting holes after about 20 miles on the trail. Maybe Im doing something wrong though.

You're definitely doing something wrong, if that's the case. I have a couple 100% merino 170gm weight base shirts that I've worn 20+ days every elk season since 2007, and every now and then throughout the winter, and I can't find any holes in them. But I always wear another shirt over them.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I have 5 or 6 different major brands of merino and have come to the conclusion there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between any of them. Of all the brands i have i actually dont have anything i dislike or has failed. So anymore I buy what I can find on sale.

Correction: Black Ovis boxers are a no-go. There was no stretch or elasticity in the seams around thighs so you better have skinny legs.

Trial153

WKR
I can agree with this. I think blends are the way to go as well for the future.
I have also had longevity issues with thinner merino in lighter weights. First lite, smart wool and some icebreaker that worn though very quick.

In mid weight peices I have had better luck.

Trial153

WKR
I have 5 or 6 different major brands of merino and have come to the conclusion there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between any of them. Of all the brands i have i actually dont have anything i dislike or has failed. So anymore I buy what I can find on sale.

Lots of truth to this. ^
Sitka, first lite, smart wool, wool power, icebreaker, Simms , minus 33...all pretty much on par with each other.

Deadeye11

FNG
Anyone have any experience with some of the eddie bauer merino blends? 47% merino wool/47% polyester/6% spandex. Looks like a decent price for the offering.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Sounds good. Like I said....my chama qz has been a tough sob for sure. My llano I got two seasons and holes around the stitching on my elbows and forearms. I’m pretty rough on my stuff and the llano is way thinner than the chama so I was happy with the two seasons for sure.