Base layers

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have suggestions on base layers that are on the cheaper side but ultra warm? I have a pair of UA cold gear but they’re just not warm enough. Usually layering those with a heavy bulky fleece base. I have looked at FL furnace and Sitka core heavyweight but I would like to maybe find a hidden gem for 1/4 of the cost. I know it’s a lofty expectation but any suggestions would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Ah yes. I forgot about Camofire. How are the black ovis base layers?

I'm not sure what you mean by layering with a bulky fleece base. That is basically what a sitka core heavyweight is except that it is fitted so there isn't much excess fabric. If you already have a polar or expedition weight base layer (fleece), I wouldn't advocate putting another one underneath it. After a while, you get too many thick base and mid layers that end up restricting movement and what you really need is a warmer outer layer. Your next to skin layer shouldn't be looked at as a primary source of insulation.

The high end stuff like Sitka, patagonia, etc main benefits are the fit and overall execution of the product. There are tons of Poly base layers for much cheaper that would function very similarly they just aren't as refined. I'd run a search for "warm polartec base layer" and see what pops up.

Rick M.

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the Kuiu merino. I've tried First Lite and Sitka, but find the Kuiu to be the most comfortable and durable. They provide a great birthday discount if you're signed up for it.

wayoh22

WKR
+1 on the Sitka Heavyweights. Buy once, cry once. But as stated camofire and huntoftheday are good places to pick up pieces on really good deals.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I myself like to wear ultra light merino like the first lite wick under a heavy fleece. Just a thought. Of course I really like that weight merino next to skin.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
For baselayers, I use the UA coldgear top, with the polartec heavy weight fleece from cabelas. I had some merino wool, maybe 215gr or something like that I tried instead of the UA, and it seemed like the UA and polartec was warmer.

Merino wool is the way to go. Blackovis/camofire or minus 33 seem to be the cheapest. Check the hiking sites as well. I have a few pieces I got from rei on closeouts. Everything will be replaced with first lite base layers as it wears out though.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I have 1 pair of UA cold gear tights, and FL fuse zip offs that I doubled up with my UA fleece pants and my lower half froze at 25-30 degrees. I think I’m just gonna bite the bullet and grab the Sitka heavyweights, or go with the FL furnace. I do a lot of still hunting during PA rifle and the synthetic stuff does really start to stink after a couple days of climbing

Nkustan

FNG
I’ve been rocking the mid and heavyweight merino from blackovis. Don’t think there is a better price/performance combo if you snag them on the cheap from camofire