Base Layers

cowboydan

FNG
Are there any quality merino base layers out there that are not the "big" name brands that still work just as well but aren't as expensive ?

JKnight

FNG
I like the black ovis stuff for the price, they are on sale on camofire about every week too.

Minus 33 is awesome merino, plus they have 400g if you want some heavy stuff.

That said, most decent merino will be around the same price: $70-$100 per piece. But Black Friday sales are going on everywhere right now, now is the time to buy.

woods89

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the Black Ovis 150 hoody. It's a 50/50 merino synthetic blend so it dries fast and still gives you a few days without getting funky. If you have the Camofire app they show up on their for $50 quite regularly.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
If you like a heavyweight merino layer, don't forget to hit the local thrift store. They'll have a bunch of those thin 100% merino checkered v-neck bastards for cheeeeeap. Great for wet work and when you don't want to f up a $100 shirt.

ChuckC

WKR
Watch for sales like everyone has mentioned. Sierra Trading post will usually have Ice Breaker about 50% off. May not be hunting colors. The black Ovis is good as well.

GabeAK

FNG
If you like a heavyweight merino layer, don't forget to hit the local thrift store. They'll have a bunch of those thin 100% merino checkered v-neck bastards for cheeeeeap. Great for wet work and when you don't want to f up a $100 shirt.

THIS for sure. I’ve recently gone with new/lightweight/packable/expensive merino for backpack hunting but have for years and still do hit up thrift stores for all my merino pieces for work/car camping/everyday use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGTWI

WKR
The midweight Minus 33 merino is awesome IMO. I actually prefer it to the First Lite pieces that I’ve had. Black Ovis is good too for the price, but I find it slightly itchy.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Minus 33 base layers. Particularly the heavyweight merino. Highly recommended.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any quality merino base layers out there that are not the "big" name brands that still work just as well but aren't as expensive ?
In the times of C1Niner don't forget to check out base layers with built in face masks. That way you can add in the amount your wife has spent on cute masks when justifying your purchase. 😆

Jhoff041

FNG
Anyone use Eddie Bauer merino blend base layers? Look new to me. 50% merino 50% polyester. 175 gram merino per the website