Base layers

Ive been wearing UA and looking to upgrade. I'll be hunting in late sept. early oct. in western wy. My outer layers are Filson wool pants and a wool sweater and my rain gear if it gets real cold. I'm looking to buy a new base layer whats everyone recommend? Thanks!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Merino is light, comfortable, and really helps reduce odor. Huge upgrade from the UA. You can check Elk101.com and other places on the net for good pricing.

Elk101 would be my recommendation for buying Sitka but Kuiu makes great base layers too! Also consider FirstLite.

dotman

WKR
I really like my first lite stuff. Core4 hasn't held up as well for me, another non camo option is minus 33. In the end go with merino wool.

First Lite uses a 17.5 micron Merino Wool, KUIU uses am 18.5 micron and Sitka uses either an 18.7 or 18.9 micro Merino Wool. The smaller the micron the "softer" the feel against your skin. I personally have both the KUIU and First Lite. Both are great but I prefer First Lite for my next to skin layer over anything else.

I just got a first live merino shirt thats been worn twice. It feels like its been washed improperly or something because its got a little bit of 'friz' on the inside thats not terribly comfortable... anybody else notice this?

Mike

dotman

WKR
I just got a first live merino shirt thats been worn twice. It feels like its been washed improperly or something because its got a little bit of 'friz' on the inside thats not terribly comfortable... anybody else notice this?

Mike

Nope mine don't have this.

Lawnboi

WKR
filson wool as outerwear, your going to roast!
Merino for base layers is good too. Any of the brands will do. Sitka, kuiu, first lite, icebreaker, redram, smartwool, the list goes on. Some are slightly better than others but i would be comfortable using any of the brands iv listed.

2rocky

WKR
I really like UA for the bottom half because the other layers slide over it so well. But the Merino gets soaked with sweat and doesn't stink.

When I know I am going to sweat profusely and/or get rained on (Like a winter trail run on the coast) I wear UA cold gear or C9 . The Merino is perfect for hunting activity levels. At the same price I would buy merino for hunting on top and UA bottoms, and a spray bottle of Scent eliminator spray

OP
flatlander51
i think im gonna go with the first light everyone seems to be happy with them now i just have to wait until there back in stock!

FYI. TAll guys. Ive been looking around for merino. I am a tall fella 6'4" 225. long arms. everything needs to be tall. Just picked up a smartwool top(midweight funnel zip)tried it on at REI. fits like a glove. from backcountry. they have the same stuff for cheaper than REI. Also, got some XL midweight bottoms. thank goodness i only need one pair.$$. still need to find a merino lightweight top that fits my arms.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
A vote here for X-Bionic. It is pretty cool stuff. I've worn UA for years, but this X-Bionic is quite the technical gear. In addition to wicking sweat it actually helps to maintain a constant body temp - not too hot or cold and it doesn't stink either.

http://www.x-bionic.com/