Base map, Gaia, Onx

BaseMap

My two cents is that if you’re just starting out with these apps or you’re not super techy, OnX is probably the simplest app for the basic features.

Gaia has way more layers and takes some getting used to but is a superior product. If you’re advanced, you can even add custom layers.

I tried BaseMap, but something just didn’t sit right with me with the layering setup.

Honestly, I still use HuntStand more than anything because it has wind direction prediction, which is very helpful for whitetail hunting in Missouri where thermals aren’t as big of a factor. It also auto downloads areas you look at for 30 days and has the simplest waypoint interface of any of them. The free version does everything I need for deer hunting.

What didn't sit right for you about BaseMap?

What didn't sit right for you about BaseMap?

It’s been a few months, but as I recall, the layer mixing is easier with GAIA and the library is larger. The hunt stat info was very cool as was the 3D mapping, but I can get those things elsewhere.

GAIA’s one month trial is a big selling point IMHO and is something I would encourage you to consider. That gave enough time to play with it at home, and then also take it on a hiking and scouting trip.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
What didn't you like about BaseMap?
Let me first say, I haven’t messed around with it that much. The first thing that struck me was the land ownership. To be fair, land ownership in my area isn’t great on any map, but out of the two that I have used (basemap and onX) onX was more accurate. Also, and maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing, but when I click a spot, it always says unit 10A. Which I’m not sure what that is all about. Like I said in the first post, I haven’t used basemap all that extensively, and I am looking forward to trying it more this spring/summer/fall. But these are just my initial impressions. I am looking forward to doing more extensive testing though for sure.

BaseMap

It’s been a few months, but as I recall, the layer mixing is easier with GAIA and the library is larger. The hunt stat info was very cool as was the 3D mapping, but I can get those things elsewhere.

GAIA’s one month trial is a big selling point IMHO and is something I would encourage you to consider. That gave enough time to play with it at home, and then also take it on a hiking and scouting trip.

We completely changed our user interface about a month ago. This made is much easier to use and navigate the app.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
We completely changed our user interface about a month ago. This made is much easier to use and navigate the app.
Perfect. Looking forward to it. Turkey season starts tomorrow for us here in Colorado, so I’ll be able to start using it in real world applications starting tomorrow.

Yooper

WKR
I'm on about week 6 with Basemap. Previously used OnX. So far I've been very happy with Basemap. The saved maps are larger so I'm not jumping from saved map to saved map. Really the only complaint I have, which is minor, is I wish I could get the map to rotate and always have arrow up, but it's a small issue at best. Given my choice, I'd pick Basemap over OnX for my particular needs any day. I've got no experience with Gaia.

BaseMap

I'm on about week 6 with Basemap. Previously used OnX. So far I've been very happy with Basemap. The saved maps are larger so I'm not jumping from saved map to saved map. Really the only complaint I have, which is minor, is I wish I could get the map to rotate and always have arrow up, but it's a small issue at best. Given my choice, I'd pick Basemap over OnX for my particular needs any day. I've got no experience with Gaia.

We appreciate the comments. The issue you brought up is something that we are looking into resolving in a future update.