Base Pack Weights?

Just wondering what some of y'alls base pack weights are looking like, I'm looking at about 33lbs with weapon and everything Included, no consumables. Am I on the right track?

JD619er

WKR
I was at 21 last year for everything except food water and bow so if I added my weapon I would say around 28-29 for me

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
Just wondering why the pistol if you have the rifle?
For around camp and what not. I know I'm not gonna have my rifle on me 24/7, and with a pack weight decently low the extra 2lb for a pistol and ammo isn't a huge deal to me.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
20.18 pounds for a day hunt. That’s skin out weight including two liters of water, snacks and my bow. Easily add ten pounds with camp gear and more food. Probably a few pounds again if going later in the year.

I might add a pistol or spray depending on the scenario.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is considered to be true base weight?

My 2018 setup.
https://lighterpack.com/r/11by4u

I’ll be shaving weight in a few areas.

Good question, for me it’s what I take for unsettled weather on a day trip. So many variables after that plus it’s light enough that I don’t mind taking it when the weather is nice.

Yours looks pretty good. I know coastal elk hunt mandates something substantial for rain gear but the weight still makes me cringe:). What areas are you looking to slim down?

Good question, for me it’s what I take for unsettled weather on a day trip. So many variables after that plus it’s light enough that I don’t mind taking it when the weather is nice.

Yours looks pretty good. I know coastal elk hunt mandates something substantial for rain gear but the weight still makes me cringe:). What areas are you looking to slim down?

It’s very wet. Getting and staying dry is paramount.

Change wise my sleep system is ditching a pad and going the underquilt route. New hammock and a Cuben Fibre palace tarp.

Full synthetic on the base layers, Headlamp changes, blade changes, fire/first aid kit changes.
Rifle change to a lighter setup but a heavier caliber.

I’ll do a full comparison on what I change with my weight savings/increases.

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
It’s very wet. Getting and staying dry is paramount.

Change wise my sleep system is ditching a pad and going the underquilt route. New hammock and a Cuben Fibre palace tarp.

Full synthetic on the base layers, Headlamp changes, blade changes, fire/first aid kit changes.
Rifle change to a lighter setup but a heavier caliber.

I’ll do a full comparison on what I change with my weight savings/increases.

How do you like your hammock setup for hunting out there ? I've used it a ton here in KY and love it but wonder if its appropriate for later season hunts ?

Don't really have a ton of options with the terrain I'm in with the ground being so wet. Hammock was the best call for that spot. I don't really get camping much anymore and the extent the last few years of hunting has been my camping trips.
I'm not hunting later season (sept low elevation with lows of 8C/45F). I'm sure if you are paired with the right setup guys go down well below freezing.

ChrisAU

WKR
Skin out is the best way to compare IMO, that’s what your lugging up the mountain. I’m at 62 lbs with 3L of water, rifle, everything. Took a lot of work to get there for late season hunts.

renagde

WKR
Depending what base weight is. My pack is at 36lbs without food and water. The clothes I wear and my weapon are 17.75lbs so that puts my base weight around 18.5lbs.

Calculating stuff for my 2019 hunt I'm just under 19.26lbs base pack weight. Not including my food/water/rifle. If its not in the pack its not in that weight.
Rifle is 5.8lbs and 6.02lb loaded.
The goal is sub 20lbs

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I work on this daily, but I'm currently at 46.4lbs total/skin out including bow, ~31lbs base weight per LigherPack, with the difference being about 5.5# consumable and just under 10# worn (clothes, binos, etc.) for a 4 day trip in CO in Aug/Sept.

Calculating stuff for my 2019 hunt I'm just under 19.26lbs base pack weight. Not including my food/water/rifle. If its not in the pack its not in that weight.
Rifle is 5.8lbs and 6.02lb loaded.
The goal is sub 20lbs

could you describe your rifle build? That's a spot I'm looking to save weight. I've priced out custom builds, but nothing is as cheap as the Kimber mountain ascent and some builds aren't as light (308).

jc91

FNG
Backpacking base weight is 10 lbs, hunting base weight is 26 lbs.

Both obviously for over night trips.

For everyone asking, base weight refers to everything that is not consumable. For example, water, food, and fuel are normally not counted in base weight. Rifle, tent, etc is counted.

16-18 lbs with a 65mm spotter and Tripod, 10-12 without it. 5-7 lbs for backpacking mainly due to dropping the kifaru and going to a ULA for a pack. Weapon weight not included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25lbs. I could drop at least two pounds if I invested in a better pack, but that is not in the cards right now.

I don’t count the weapon in base weight.