Basecamp Dinners

Setting up a wall tent for 3rd rifle and looking for suggestions on easy dinners for a group of guys. We'll have one of those larger Coleman propane stoves.

Since we'll be in a basecamp this year I figure we can keep it simple and go for something heavy!!

Last edited:

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
chili is always a good meal. Freeze it in a bag before you leave and it can help keep other food cold until you want to eat it.

I like to prepare foil pouches of food, too. Ham or chicken, mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Freeze for transport, then set on top of the wood stove to heat up.

Pick your favorite stew, pour into gallon (or bigger bags depending on size of crew) and freeze flat.
Smoke a pork butt, claw the meat up, drain the grease, and throw into gallon (or bigger bags) and freeze flat
Brown hamburger and make taco meat, and thow into gallon (or bigger bags) and freeze flat
Etc...

Grab a few loaves of bread (depending on crew size and length of stay) and tortillas. Both can be used for dinner and for leftover sack lunches.

Last edited:

drra

FNG
I like instant potatoes, just boil some water and you are good to go (add to something like burgers or for simplicity just put in some cubed ham and applesauce - simple and tasty). When I bring my wood stove after I get the first going I put potatoes in tinfoil near the door and they cook really fast.

BBQ is a good choice too. Reheats well, the higher fat content keeps things juicy. I do pulled pork tacos with bbq sauce on top. That'll keep a hungry boy hunting hard!

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I'll echo a lot of what's been said already, chili, pulled pork, venison burgers (patties preformed and frozen), sausage from previous year's elk/deer/antelope. My secret weapon is having my wife make her Pad Thai and bag that. Simple reheat and enjoy with some fresh chopped cilantro and a pan roasted cashews. Our deer camp ate really well this year!

Azone

WKR
Foil trays and gallon ziplocks with frozen home cooked meals. Foil trays go on top of the wood stove and ziplock bags go into a pot of hot water. Makes clean up a breeze.
Loaded mac n cheese and enchiladas are a couple favorites of mine and as mentioned above reheating bbq and a side of beans really hits the spot. We will usually splurge on a ribeye or fillet mignon for a couple meals if truck camping.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Base camp is all about eating like an idiot. Chili dogs, hamburger helper, dinty Moore stew. Box donuts for breakfast. If you are doing it right you are so hungry it actually tastes good.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
The greasiest brats or italian sausages you can find are a winner in my book. Grill them up in about 10 minutes, throw on a bun with preferred condiments, and you are set. Nothing better after a long pack out, almost no clean up, goes great with a cold beer. What’s not to love?

I precook and vac my base camp meals. Fahitas, taco meat, chilli, rigitoni and meat sauce, tortileni.
I also precook smoked chickens and bags of pulled pork and vac them. I eat good with limited hassel and prep at camp. Boil in bag vegetables work good for me as well And I stock up on them in the freezer when they are on bogo. Bob Evans mac n cheese and mashed potatoes have their place for just a heat up and serve. Theres usually a few ribeyes to grill with some red potatoes to boil up. Bags of premade salad are good with that ribeye. About anything I can cook at home can be vac packed frozen and carried in my cooler to reheat at camp.

Eggs in a shaker bottle with a side of chopped veggies, bacon, ham etc. combine and shake up for a quick and tasty omelet with minimal clean up

CCooper

WKR
We do Costco pre-made dinners in the foil trays and freeze the before we go. Chicken fettucine, mac & cheese, etc.. Don't have to bring a bunch of crap this way and super handy. Pop them in the wood stove oven box or throw them on the mini green mtn. No dishes, pots/ pans to clean and makes packing simpler- they usually feed 4 easily.

It's also vacation food. Never cut corners at base camp. Oh and remember, cows eat only veggies...I prefer to get my vegetables from meat.

steakandlobster.JPGcamp2.JPGcamp1..JPG

Last edited: