Baselayer/Pants/Puffy?

I know the topic of baslayers has been discussed heavily but since I just got my "Biden Bucks", i wanted to spend some of it.

Do people usually have some sort of base layer (merino/synthetic/blend), their pants, as well as a pair of "Puffy pants"? Obviously I'm sure weather is the main factor as well as if you run warm or cold. But I'm trying to decide if I want to buy both a base layer as well as a pair of puffy pants.

Just wanting to hear from anyone on what has worked for them. I live in WA state, usually hunt around 7k feet. This year I plan on hunting Montana as well.

I have my hunting pants (assorted brands/models), base layer (merino - Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek) and a puffy (down - Kuiu).

On the merino base layers, the three that I have are all about the same weight and provide comparable warmth. The Kuiu get the nod for in-field use as I love the zip-off. The Sitka and Kryptek have mostly been relegated to sleeping in (keep my bag cleaner and not necessarily for warmth) or if I am hunting a stand (ex: KS whitetail).

I'll look at the type of hunt I am going to be doing (active vs. stationary) as well as the temperature/weather forecast. I will then bring the combination that provides the maximum coverage for that specific hunt under the anticipated conditions. Sometimes this is just pants, sometimes it is plants plus base, other times it is plants plus puffy, and then other times it is pants plus base plus puffy.

It has to be fairly cold for me to wear a base layer on my legs; won't wear them if I am moving. It has to be cold to wear my puffy pants (won't wear while moving). It has to be very cold for me to wear my base and puffy pants (plus my pants). I'm in AZ so my "cold" may very well be different than someone from MN.

OP
RangerRick
I have my hunting pants (assorted brands/models), base layer (merino - Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek) and a puffy (down - Kuiu).

On the merino base layers, the three that I have are all about the same weight and provide comparable warmth. The Kuiu get the nod for in-field use as I love the zip-off. The Sitka and Kryptek have mostly been relegated to sleeping in (keep my bag cleaner and not necessarily for warmth) or if I am hunting a stand (ex: KS whitetail).

I'll look at the type of hunt I am going to be doing (active vs. stationary) as well as the temperature/weather forecast. I will then bring the combination that provides the maximum coverage for that specific hunt under the anticipated conditions. Sometimes this is just pants, sometimes it is plants plus base, other times it is plants plus puffy, and then other times it is pants plus base plus puffy.

It has to be fairly cold for me to wear a base layer on my legs; won't wear them if I am moving. It has to be cold to wear my puffy pants (won't wear while moving). It has to be very cold for me to wear my base and puffy pants (plus my pants). I'm in AZ so my "cold" may very well be different than someone from MN.
That makes sense. I was thinking I would have to at least start out by getting a pair of base layer bottoms as well as puffy pants.

I also like the idea of having a pair of base layer bottoms for keeping the sleeping bag clean + adds a bit of warmth.

Is there a reason why you went merino vs a synthetic? scent control?

Lowg08

WKR
I 95% of the time at hiking in along ways and weight is if the most importance but I want to be warm once I get there. I have my clothing set up for progression through the season.
Baselayer
I’ll wear an ultra light wick bottom when it starts to get cold and a fuse top. That is always my base. It just works all year long and sets up for a nice layering start
Mid
I have a furnace set and a klamath hoodie I’ll choose for my mid layers or if I’m im going a long long ways I’ll pack a kenai ultra jacket which can also be an outer layer
Outer
I use several different pants for this. From kanabs and obsidians to a fleece lined soft shell( kuiu)
Puffy
I have the Under armor alpine ops 800 fill down pants. I also have the brooks down and like above the kenai ultra which can be layered together.
hooe
This gives you some ideas

GooseFeet down for puffy pants, and whatever you like for base layers, that’s my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using my “system” for a few years now. Like it has been said before, no base layer or puffy when moving. Only when static.

Lowg08

WKR
I have been using my “system” for a few years now. Like it has been said before, no base layer or puffy when moving. Only when static.
This is a point I missed. I do not hike in with anymore on than kanabs a wool t shirt and a hoodie

I have also slept in my puffy set. I only have a 30* quilt so I also layer for sleeping with a base layer, mid layer and then a puffy set. For sleeping I will also use my puffy booties.

Honyock

WKR
Kuiu merino zip off bottoms. You will thank me the first time you get hot and want to shed them. Why Sitka has not figured out zip off bottoms in beyond me.

The Kuiu zip-off bottoms were the best addition to my gear last year.

Worked out great from Archery to 3rd Rifle. Highly recommend.

Last edited: